Author Topic: Correct underside hood color?  (Read 2325 times)

pchmotoho

• View Profile
Correct underside hood color?
« on: October 11, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
For you experts out there, what color should the underside of my hood be?  Original red, 6s1117

The car is 95% (if not more) original paint. At SAAC 43 a very well known enthusiast was looking at it and believed all hoods should be black underneath (he also reminded me though to never say never).

Anyways while browsing the forum and looking at the recent pictures of 6s1020 (also red) I see that the underside of that hood is also red.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

papa scoops

• View Profile
Re: Correct underside hood color?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 07:48:24 PM »
1122 is flat black on bottom side. original. phred

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:02:24 AM »
1122 is flat black on bottom side. original. phred

+1 Edges during your cars time period would not have been masked off so one would expect to see some overspray (black was before body color) in the logical locations from painting the top and edges ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  Underneath the hood is red.  Just like the pictures of 1020.  Is this uncommon, wrong or .......?

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 11:02:44 AM »
Another detail, if it matters, is that the car being discussed (6s1117)  has the fiberglass hood with a full steel frame.

Z

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  Underneath the hood is red.  Just like the pictures of 1020.  Is this uncommon, wrong or .......?

From untouched and original cars in comparison that would not be typically the way they were built from everything I've seen. Plenty of these cars have been repainted at some point, touched up or "improved" by a well meaning prior owner of rebuilder/restorer. No reason for Shelby to spend the time painting the bottom and it would have taken allot more time, effort/care and cost along with making IMHO the nasty looking bond stand out more than it does in the first place - if they cared about that sort of thing :) 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:33:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge