Author Topic: Garage Heating Ideas  (Read 6098 times)

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
Garage Heating Ideas
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:34:11 AM »
Hello. I was wondering what is/would be, the most economical way to heat a garage during the Winter. I have a 2 3/4 car garage. It's a very generous 2.5 car size. I used a torpedo-style heater last year, but the bottles of propane don't seem to last all that long and they are pricey. I have an "attic" area above the cars that is open, with several areas used as storage with 3/4 inch floors. I'll include the square footage in a little while. It's something like 650 square feet, I believe.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

papa scoops

• View Profile
Re: Garage Heating Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
I installed the mitsubishi heat system (heat and ac) (slimline) very economical to run, with rebates, I think it was less than 2 k, saved most of that in the first few years. garage is 3 car apx 1000 sq ft. phred

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »
I am just completing the construction of my garage and am planning the same unit papa scoops mentioned.  These Mitsubishi units seem like the perfect way to go for both heating in the winter and cooling in the summer.  Again I have not used one yet but a buddy has and loves it. 

The question I am trying to answer is can I install it myself or do I need to pay someone?  I had my electrician wire for it so I am good there.

Dwathencars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
Most mini-split, slimline units are very easy to install.   Some carpentry work to support the indoor and the outdoor units, an electrical power hookup and the refrigerant hoses are pre charged so just screw or snap on to the connectors.  The temperature control is normally via a handheld remote so no wiring.
I’ve used these mini-split units in two garages with success.  I would mount the indoor unit above head height since it blows the heated or cooled air fairly intensely. 
CSX 2367.   Jaguar SS100,XK120, Etype, Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet, 1961 Maserati Vignale Spyder

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »
I think that those torpedo-style heaters are not very good for your air quality as well as being thirsty?

Amount of heat needed depends a lot on the insulation, etc.. also maybe the desired indoor temperature? Are you thinking about A/C as well?
the wall-mounted gas (or propane) units look pretty nice.
Good luck.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »
If you are only worried about heat, you may want to consider a waste oil heater.  Don't have any personal experience, but I hate dragging my used oil away.  If you have a few friends with waste oil, you might get free heat.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »

There are quite a few small portable heat & A/C units on the market now, which might serve your purpose and are very affordable. Here is one example that heats or cools up to 700 sq.foot. These are easy DIY installs and make for just another consideration.

https://www.compactappliance.com/honeywell-portable-air-conditioners/HL14CHESW.html

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »
I installed a Hot Dawg heater from Home Depot. Great unit and very efficient.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Modine-Hot-Dawg-45-000-BTU-Natural-Gas-Garage-Ceiling-Heater-HD45A/202812648

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 10:18:15 PM »
Thank you everyone for your ideas and input. I was thinking about Mitsubishi. That one heater from Home Depot sounds like a decent idea, but I will need to find a way to route nat gas to the garage. It is well equipped with outlets, as it has about 14 of them! I might insulate the ceiling. The garage is constructed of cinder block. It generally stays about 10-12 degrees or so warmer than the outside. Also, my door is off the floor a little bit on one end, forming a narrow wedge shape. Can my door be shuffled around after loosening some bolts, to make it sit flat all the way across the opening? I replaced the rubber gasket on the bottom of the 2-car door 2 years ago.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
  Took the used gas furnace out of the house during its replacement.  And put it out in the garage.  No cost other than another thermostat and some piping.

JJH

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 05:16:25 AM »
Thank you everyone for your ideas and input. I was thinking about Mitsubishi. That one heater from Home Depot sounds like a decent idea, but I will need to find a way to route nat gas to the garage. It is well equipped with outlets, as it has about 14 of them! I might insulate the ceiling. The garage is constructed of cinder block. It generally stays about 10-12 degrees or so warmer than the outside. Also, my door is off the floor a little bit on one end, forming a narrow wedge shape. Can my door be shuffled around after loosening some bolts, to make it sit flat all the way across the opening? I replaced the rubber gasket on the bottom of the 2-car door 2 years ago.
If your door seal is screwed in you should be able to remove the screws and adjust the seal to fill in the gap. No need to try adjusting the door.
SAAC member since 1981

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »
Salamander ;D

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
Salamander? The rubber gasket has a channel you push it through from one side to the other. The house heater doesn't sound too bad, it just might take up too much room in my garage. I think the ductless heater system may be the way to go for now.

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »
Depends on where you live (lowest temp and amount you are raising lowest temp), amount of insulation you have and square feet, along with ceiling height.
Also, what fuel is available and how much is electricity in your area? Do also need a/c?
All factor into required btus and type of unit.

You're getting all sorts of answers because everyone has differing answers to the questions above.
Do a btu calc first.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 11:32:58 PM »
My wife surprised me with a garage heater several years ago for Christmas. It's a Modine ceiling-mount 60K BTU natural-gas heater. Heats my insulated 1200 sq-ft / 9' ceiling garage from 40F to 70F in about 20 minutes. Mine needed a horizontal exhaust with a helper fan which added to the price. Installed price was about $1400.

Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.