News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT500 #0254 coming up to auction at Mecum Kissimee

Started by Richstang, October 25, 2018, 06:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Who is Ed Casey?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-359417/1967-shelby-gt500-fastback/

Since this is a car offered for sale, here are a few thoughts;

On the positive side;
-Correct side stripe placement
-Correct flat tail panel for early car
-Correct rear valance with trim for early car

Neutral
-Large lettered Goodyear tires look great (might not be correct, but it is very close to the cutoff point around the 255th car built).

On the Negative side;
-Rocker Panel moldings? (That's a big concern for me)
-Wheel lips moldings (less concerning but still not correct)
-Vertical inboard grille (I believe this car should have a slanted inboard grille).

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

I have never seen a P/S ram drilled for a cotter pin let alone a safety wire wrap (guess that is what that is).I wonder what brought the restorer to that conclusion? It is not like there are few examples to compare to. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

What is up with the rear valance ?
Looks all bulged in the left rear corner picture, the alignment is all messed up ?

Maybe it is optical, but maybe error in alignment pre-fitting procedures?
It looks like a pretty nice car, as with any purchases, a buyer might want to do an on site inspection?
With respect,
john
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

J_Speegle

Quote from: Harris Speedster on October 25, 2018, 07:58:01 PM
What is up with the rear valance ?

Could be a poorly made reproduction then forced into place or indication of something deeper. No way of telling from a couple of pictures on a computer screen right now.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 25, 2018, 07:43:45 PM
I have never seen a P/S ram drilled for a cotter pin let alone a safety wire wrap (guess that is what that is).I wonder what brought the restorer to that conclusion? It is not like there are few examples to compare to.

Saw that and I would guess that the castle nut he installed or someone prior did confused him since there was no cotter pin hole for it.

Just a possibility based on what is in the picture
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

68krrrr

definitely strange to go to that level of restoration & then put wheel well moldings & rocker panels on a 67
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Quote from: 68krrrr on October 27, 2018, 12:38:06 AM
definitely strange to go to that level of restoration & then put wheel well moldings & rocker panels on a 67

And stripes.

I happen to prefer stripes on a white car, but when you are touting a concours restoration.   ::)

Richstang

When ever I see rocker moldings on a '67 the first thing that comes to mind is a re-body. I'm not saying that is the case here, but as always get an expert inspection to prove otherwise. The rocker moldings with the added wheel lips makes me wonder if someone was trying to "upgrade" it to look more like a '68 way back in the day. Lemans stripes are another separate topic that I will leave aside.

Either way, I would never have restored the car with the incorrect added moldings and they would be the first thing to go if I were the buyer.

427heaven

Having an incorrect cotter pin, or added bling, like wheel well moldings wouldn't slow down my offers. The car is stunning hope it does well for both buyer and seller- ;)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on October 27, 2018, 10:29:07 AM
Having an incorrect cotter pin, or added bling, like wheel well moldings wouldn't slow down my offers. The car is stunning hope it does well for both buyer and seller- ;)
Apparently you don't understand otherwise you would appreciate that those observations were meant to raise a red flag that the restorer was somewhat clueless in the proper original details to restore the car back to given it is obvious to all that was the intention. At the very worst the restores lack of knowledge may indicate other more serious integrity problems in the cars history. I hope for the buyer the last is not the case. Your condescending comment aside trying to help a buyer be more informed before a potential purchase is meant to be helpful . Encouraging the disregarding of warning signs is not helpful IMHO. ;) Best of luck on your offers. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

corbins

Quote from: 2112 on October 27, 2018, 01:26:12 AM

And stripes.

I happen to prefer stripes on a white car, but when you are touting a concours restoration.   ::)

Concours...the most over/improperly-used word in the classic car marketplace

427heaven

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 27, 2018, 06:44:48 PM
Apparently you don't understand otherwise you would appreciate that those observations were meant to raise a red flag that the restorer was somewhat clueless in the proper original details to restore the car back to given it is obvious to all that was the intention. At the very worst the restores lack of knowledge may indicate other more serious integrity problems in the cars history. I hope for the buyer the last is not the case. Your condescending comment aside trying to help a buyer be more informed before a potential purchase is meant to be helpful . Encouraging the disregarding of warning signs is not helpful IMHO. ;) Best of luck on your offers. ;D
Bob its actually you that doesn't understand the things that you say and do, and how it affects people. There was not a condescending remark anywhere in the statement. What is condescending is when you or others have to bash.put down,condemn others cars, parts, and workmanship. I am grateful for your knowledge and eye for detail but to always cast a dark cloud over so many cars WITH items like a cotter pin or wheel well trim, well that's not what most of us want to here from someone with our knowledge of these cars. You know first hand when someone casts doubt about something its very hard to change peoples opinions. Maybe a little more positivity for the team. ;)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on October 27, 2018, 10:27:02 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 27, 2018, 06:44:48 PM
Bob its actually you that doesn't understand the things that you say and do, and how it affects people. There was not a condescending remark anywhere in the statement. What is condescending is when you or others have to bash.put down,condemn others cars, parts, and workmanship. I am grateful for your knowledge and eye for detail but to always cast a dark cloud over so many cars WITH items like a cotter pin or wheel well trim, well that's not what most of us want to here from someone with our knowledge of these cars. You know first hand when someone casts doubt about something its very hard to change peoples opinions. Maybe a little more positivity for the team. ;)
Lets agree to disagree and move on.