News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Correct Wheels and Tires For '67

Started by SNAKEBIT, October 26, 2018, 11:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: lawrence on November 09, 2018, 07:43:36 PM
It is my understanding that early "Deluxe wheel"  option cars received Mag-Star wheels and later production got the 10 spokes.  Is there a date or s/n time range for the transition from one to the other?  I believe this was discussed  and the information was on Forum v1.0 but my memory doesn't go that far back.
PL
FYI SA went back to magstars after the tenspokes that were predominnetly used in the middle of production. Magstars then Ten spokes then back to magstars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SNAKEBIT

Ok, I think I got a good grip on the '67 wheel info. Thanks everyone.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

lawrence67

My car,had repo 10 spokes when purchased, with a option "deluxe wheel" on list. I'm trying to determine what should have been there for a Jun delivery.  That's what will go on until I find what should be there or what I want there.
PL 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: lawrence on November 09, 2018, 10:56:31 PM
My car,had repo 10 spokes when purchased, with a option "deluxe wheel" on list. I'm trying to determine what should have been there for a Jun delivery.  That's what will go on until I find what should be there or what I want there.
PL
You might contact Dave Mathews as he may have some definitive paperwork one way or the other.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

I never heard specific dates other then, "after a certain date" with the 10 spokes. The invoices just say "deluxe".

I'm sure that if one was negotiating with a dealer, you'd have some influence on the wheels, especially if it was a larger dealer like Larsen or Gotham.

Howard Parde tells a story about Bill Kolb not letting him leave without the car at Larsen on his first '65.

The vast majority were just hub cap cars.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

2011 Registry list for '67 Shelby's:

Wheel Covers - 842 = 26%
Mag Stars - 1365 = 42%
10-Spokes - 993 = 31%
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: JD on November 10, 2018, 09:00:23 AM
2011 Registry list for '67 Shelby's:

Wheel Covers - 842 = 26%
Mag Stars - 1365 = 42%
10-Spokes - 993 = 31%

That may be JD but that isn't my experience here.

I suppose it depends on the nature of the original purchaser? I once had an "older" person tell me that when I hit a certain age, hub caps would be the best idea ever invented. ;D

Are those specs from the original invoices or the current condition report?

Here KR convertibles were just an alternative to the "Good Neighbor Sam" T-bird. They were both Spoatz cazs. There was no room for the cigar in the KR and the roll bar was a Fedora knocker.

Just look at the '68 owners. You don't even need to bend over to wash the wheels but personally I think you should increase your liability coverage because one of those things will eventually fly off and kill everyone on a tour bus?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 10, 2018, 09:39:24 AM

Are those specs from the original invoices or the current condition report?

From page 38 of the 2011 SAAC registry.

See attached - based on factory production numbers - not dealers or Owners.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

I asked Dave about wheels a while back. He mentioned on the PO's the "Deluxe wheels" were Magstars, the "Shelby wheels" were 10-spokes, leaving us with the "Standard wheels" as the steel rims with hubcaps. On Brian Styles website, he had a note that all the hubcap cars were ordered in the middle of the production run on a few of the larger ordered DSOs. I believe he even mentions the date, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Looking at my data spreadsheet (based on registry data), certainly all the early cars had Magstars up until early March when hubcaps started to sprinkle into the mix. That is followed shortly after by 10-spokes also sprinkled in. By mid production Magstar fade out with a fairly even mix of Hubcaps and 10-spokes, although some Magstars are still lightly mixed in. About 2/3 of the way Magstars seem to increase again in numbers over the other two. As production nears the end, 10-spoke increase over Magstars with a few hubcaps cars lightly mixed in.

The best bet here is too update the registrar on your car's history and ask for a copy of the PO (very small fee). If the PO is available, you can see which box is checked off for wheels on you car. If you have a registry, you can look in the registry on the grid code pages to see if your car VIN has a wheel option noted. I keep that info in my data file as well, so if you share the Shelby VIN we can look up this info too.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on November 10, 2018, 11:16:29 AM
I asked Dave about wheels a while back. He mentioned on the PO's the "Deluxe wheels" were Magstars, the "Shelby wheels" were 10-spokes, leaving us with the "Standard wheels" as the steel rims with hubcaps. On Brian Styles website, he had a note that all the hubcap cars were ordered in the middle of the production run on a few of the larger ordered DSOs. I believe he even mentions the date, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Looking at my data spreadsheet (based on registry data), certainly all the early cars had Magstars up until early March when hubcaps started to sprinkle into the mix. That is followed shortly after by 10-spokes also sprinkled in. By mid production Magstar fade out with a fairly even mix of Hubcaps and 10-spokes, although some Magstars are still lightly mixed in. About 2/3 of the way Magstars seem to increase again in numbers over the other two. As production nears the end, 10-spoke increase over Magstars with a few hubcaps cars lightly mixed in.

The best bet here is too update the registrar on your car's history and ask for a copy of the PO (very small fee). If the PO is available, you can see which box is checked off for wheels on you car. If you have a registry, you can look in the registry on the grid code pages to see if your car VIN has a wheel option noted. I keep that info in my data file as well, so if you share the Shelby VIN we can look up this info too.
Be sure your data in the case of late production cars takes into consideration that the registry data you are looking at is predominantly owner reported data vs Factory data. The factory data is going to give a better picture of what came on the cars vs owner reported data which will include owner personalization . I wanted to mention that because the late production cars seemed to be mostly magstar's from my observation. Dave's has the factory data will indicate one way or the other. I don't think there has been a correlation showing what the car was delivered with vs. how the owners report.

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 10, 2018, 12:25:31 PM
Quote from: Richstang on November 10, 2018, 11:16:29 AM

Be sure your data in the case of late production cars takes into consideration that the registry data you are looking at is predominantly owner reported data vs Factory data. The factory data is going to give a better picture of what came on the cars vs owner reported data which will include owner personalization . I wanted to mention that because the late production cars seemed to be mostly magstar's from my observation. Dave's has the factory data will indicate one way or the other. I don't think there has been a correlation showing what the car was delivered with vs. how the owners report.

Your point about owner supplied info versus Factory paperwork is a well taken. I'll take a look at the PO's I have gathered and check against the registry grid codes. Since SAI supplied the "Deluxe" and "Shelby" wheels to Ford, it would make more sense that SJ built the cars with the same wheel types in large groups.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

The registry does state the info is based on factory data.

So are you guys saying you feel the count is wrong because it's too high or because it's too low?

If the info (regarding the wheel types) was based on owner reports wouldn't it be much less then the 26% published? 

Most cars that got the steel wheels and wheel covers seem to have had them replaced with one of the other two options (which seems to be supported by what we see at events).

(I realize the registry is not perfect, it does have some errors in it and I'm not saying it cannot be questioned.)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on November 10, 2018, 10:53:20 PM
The registry does state the info is based on factory data.

So are you guys saying you feel the count is wrong because it's too high or because it's too low?

If the info (regarding the wheel types) was based on owner reports wouldn't it be much less then the 26% published? 

Most cars that got the steel wheels and wheel covers seem to have had them replaced with one of the other two options (which seems to be supported by what we see at events).

(I realize the registry is not perfect, it does have some errors in it and I'm not saying it cannot be questioned.)
I get the impression that you have misinterpreted the the past couple of posts . If you are referring to percentages of different wheels then we are in agreement with the percentages of wheels that the registry has posted and that it is factory info. I was referring to how the different wheels were distributed on cars in production and whether the registry grids were reflecting how the owners claimed the cars were now or whether the information was from factory records on how they left SA (wheels were installed at Ford).

JD

shelbydoug

It isn't anything to argue over. It's just a little confusing. My 67 is 3074. A picture of it from the late '70s shows it with Magstars.

Dave says that there is no PO for it and that it came with 10 spokes.

The Marti report indicates it was a base model with the base wheel option which would be the steel wheel/hub caps.

That right there throws inaccuracy into those stats.

So it breaks down to 3 wheel options with roughly 1/3 production of each.

Now it is worth pointing out that some dealers would have tailored the car to the new purchasers tastes in order to move it out.

Besides the "required extra dealer installed options" like under coating, floor mats and 'hot wax' (and maybe a racoon tail hanging on the rear view mirror) guys like Kolb could have altered the car from what the factory did before it was delivered to it's first owner.

Kolb also spread himself around between at least two high volume dealers, Larsen and Kolb. His high pressure antics are probably the biggest reason Chevys were big in our family.

Something for the Judges to consider.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!