News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Brutal watch reviews by Paul Pluta

Started by deathsled, November 01, 2018, 10:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Being a gearhead myself, I am also a bit of a watch enthusiast and more particularly motorsports watches, I own a Tag Heuer Formula One that I picked up a while back with a yellow face and I also have a daily worn Casio G Shock which is not motorsports related  I came across this Aussie who does paid watch reviews.  He is quite amusing on his approach and is huge on Rolex and Omega Man on the Moon.  He has a serious collection of Patek, IWC and Rolex.  I am fearful to send him my pitiful collection to get his evaluation.  I do aspire to a Rolex some day as it seems to be international currency.  The Daytona Rolex is quite something but can't imagine myself paying $10,000 plus for one.  Here is one of his reviews.  Gotta love the Aussie way of expression.  Or maybe he's a one of a kind over there.  If the F bomb offends thee then I counsel you to steer clear. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kHrVrmS7Sg

And one more...he review's a Doctor's collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HItVBQ2UN7I

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

pmustang

Here's my take on Rolex as an actual usable watch

Years ago I bought a Stainless and Gold blue face mans example. I had always wanted one as it was the most gorgeous thing I had seen in watches

Firstly had to buy two extra links as they come new set up for a midget. Think it was $600 for two links, insane

I wore the watch at work for about a year and t looked like it had been through the mill.  Band links stretched! I had it valued and the guy held it by the clasp and tilted the watch horizontal. The watch sagged on its links and he said that was bad for value. And the watch itself looked like it had been wire wheeled. I owned a gift  shop, I wasn't a coal miner

It kept dreadful time as well

Luckily I sent it to the big Rolex place near Madison square garden for a clean and detail so I could  sell it and they lost it. Paid me in cash for the value to replace

Good riddance

GT350Lad

Interesting video, I have always been a watch man and my impressive versatile watch is my Omega Speedmaster. Great time and it is tough and looks great after 10 years of everyday wear.

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

FL SAAC

timex...takes a licking and keeps on ticking....
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

acman63

SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

ITHERTZ

I splurged on myself in 1999 out of grad school and bought a $400 (Gulp!) Swiss Air Force watch.  I still wear it daily.  I have had to replace the lithium battery in it after 15 years of use, and to date the case has only been opened up once for that single battery change.  Still looks great and the sapphire crystal doesn't yet have a single scratch!

deathsled

Nice air force watch! I took my Tag in for servicing and asked a the jeweler about Rolex and he was dismissive saying they did not keep very good time.  Today's watches can sync with the atomic clock and always be dead on time. Can't do that with an automatic or mechanical so it has to be about the nostalgia I believe. Like the cars we drive on this site. And Timex was known for making components for warheads before they got into watches. I think they made gyroscopes.

deathsled

Quote from: GT350Lad on November 02, 2018, 05:42:50 AM
Interesting video, I have always been a watch man and my impressive versatile watch is my Omega Speedmaster. Great time and it is tough and looks great after 10 years of everyday wear.

Cheers
I hear a lot of good things about Omega. Good surgeon's watch. My ex father in law in Germany was a surgeon and he was big on the Seamaster living in Kiel no surprise there.

Bigfoot

I'm wearing a Stainless Rolex from 1977.
O perp Datejust
No issues other than a slight stretch in band and not totally "waterproof " anymore.
I still wear it in the shower. No issues.
I have not taken it off in 27 years except to go in the ocean last year.

Why settle for less.....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

deathsled

Here is Archieluxury's assessment on the downside of watch collecting such as depression, divorce etc.

https://youtu.be/pB42ldH0mzw

Jim Herrud

I was raised in a jewelry store family. My Dad was a horologist by training and had a small store in southern Wyoming. A few nights ago, my son told me a story from long ago about a visit to my Dad that involved a "Rolex".

My son was at the store when a customer came in and asked to have the battery changed in his Rolex. My Dad would replace any watch battery for $1 as a loss leader to get folks in the store. With my son looking over his shoulder, my Dad dutifully changed the battery and returned it to the proud customer. After he'd left, my Dad told my son, "You should know, in general, Rolex's don't have batteries. They have a mechanical movement. That was a fake watch." When my son asked him why he didn't inform the customer, he replied, "What good will come of that? He's happy with it now. If I tell him, that will just make him angry and ruin his day."

It's getting tougher these days to find a good local watchmaker to work on my watches, though none of mine are a Rolex.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

GT350Lad

Quote from: acman63 on November 02, 2018, 10:45:02 AM
I use a sun dial   works every time

Jim I want to see you on the next season of survivor!! That actually would be cool seeing a SAAC member on there!  8)
6S373
6S1276

Don Johnston

I have moved to hybrid watches that are solar powered.  No battery to change, no winding or self winding.  The others receive little attention while in the drawer or winding box.  I do like my Tissot Touch solar but PIA to program.  Pathfinder solar easier to use but not very appealing in appearance.  I get most of my higher end wrist toys at Tourneau's resale bins for a lot less than new.
It amazes me how many exclusive watch manufacturers and stores exist in the age where the majority of people use their cel phones for time check.  The watch has become a fashion accessory for many.   8)

427heaven

Have you EVER seen someone actually purchasing or even LOOKING at the high end time pieces, better yet has anyone or do you know someone who recently sold a high end watch. Curious what profit or loss took place. :-\