News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Security while traveling with your Shelby

Started by TedS, November 04, 2018, 07:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedS

If I were traveling with my Shelby, either driving or on an open trailer and needed to stay overnight in a hotel/motel I'd be interested to here ideas for security. High tech, low tech, any thing.
Thanks in advance
Ted

shelbyluva

Good insurance, maybe a battery cutoff switch and otherwise, enjoy the car and don't worry about it!  There are many cars on the road that have similar values to our Shelby cars. That's my approach for what it's worth.

Greg

That is a tough one.  Stay in B&B's if possible that way you have limited guests.  Remove the coil wire, only takes a second and very few thieves would carry one with them.  I actually lock my trailer safety chains with a lock so they can't be removed from the truck.  I don't agree with "don't worry about it" but I do agree with "enjoy your car".  Take as many precautions as you can but if someone wants to take a car, even at home in your garage they will take it.  I have heard of thieves actually hooking on to garage doors tearing them off the house or garage then with a roll back, taking the car.   
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

deathsled

I'd be inclined to sleep in the car. But I'm single and have that liberty to "rough it" without hearing any complaints about it.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Side-Oilers

Quote from: deathsled on November 04, 2018, 09:03:48 PM
I'd be inclined to sleep in the car. But I'm single and have that liberty to "rough it" without hearing any complaints about it.

I have done that, within the past year.  Actually, slept in my truck that was pulling the open trailer my Shelby was on.  Wasn't a good rest at all, but better than being paranoid about the car all night while I'm in a hotel room...and getting even less sleep.

I have used very long & stout cables to padlock the car to the trailer frame, through all four wheels.  Also padlocked the trailer safety chains to the hitch. And tried most everything else.

Removing the coil wire is a good quick one for when you're driving the car and stop into a restaurant or somewhere you can't keep an eye on it. 

But...yep, if they want it, they'll get it. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

I read somewhere that Kopec had signs on his trailer to the effect that he was hauling beef carcasses or the like. You could also add some bio hazard signs or even radioactive signs on the trailer as a deterrent in addition to any other methods you seem fit.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Switch the coil wire and any spark plug wire on the cap, it looks okay but will only fire on one cylinder, "almost" starts. You can add about 9 locks to the trailer and truck, toss an older IPhone under the seat and use the "find my IPhone app", a boot on the trailer wheels to secure everything.
Sleeping in the car is something I can say is not as comfortable as it once was, but can be done. It can sleep two, but it really a poor excuse for a bed.
Really god insurance helps also
Or just hire a redneck with a gun
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: deathsled on November 04, 2018, 09:25:50 PM
I read somewhere that Kopec had signs on his trailer to the effect that he was hauling beef carcasses or the like. You could also add some bio hazard signs or even radioactive signs on the trailer as a deterrent in addition to any other methods you seem fit.
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

98SVT - was 06GT

Also CT Pit Bull Rehab Center.
Best to stay in good areas and park where you can see trailer good motion alarm etc
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

deathsled

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on November 04, 2018, 09:33:33 PM
Gotta love it! Assuming the thief can read of course. Or interpret warnings.

gjz30075

Greg Z
6S2249

Signs?

Beware of Dog
Insured by Smith & Wesson
I carry a gun 3 days a week, you guess which 3

Can you buy a Denver boot?

kjspeed

One thing I do when trailering the car is to back the trailer up against a wall or tree or some other immovable object. That makes it impossible to unload the car without moving the whole rig. I also don't leave the keys in the ignition and I have a battery cutoff. Lastly, I have audible alarms - my Powerstroke is anything but quiet and the Shelby can be heard over the racket from the diesel. Neither one is much fun to push.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt