Author Topic: Wanted - C-Servo Cover  (Read 3255 times)

morsel

• View Profile
Wanted - C-Servo Cover
« on: November 05, 2018, 01:50:00 PM »
Looking for a C4 Transmission C-Servo cover for my transmission, mine was replaced at some point with a repro. My cars build date is February 10th 1966, San Jose, so probably should be the 65 version based on images I've seen of a car that was built a few days after mine.

PM if you have any info on finding one.

Thanks,

Jason

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Wanted - C-Servo Cover
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
Hi Jason,

You best bet is to keep an eye out for a 1966 F100/F250 with a 300 CID and automatic transmission.  If it has not been messed with it will have the cover and matching piston you want to find.  A truck with the 240 CID with automatic will not have the cover.  Most of the trucks are standard transmission.  So it will not be easy to find, but if you are patient and keep an eye out, you can find.  You might even have to check a few wrecking yards.  It can be done.

Best of luck

Cory

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:11:44 PM »
Jason,  Thanks to Cory, I recently wound up with the 65 style C servo cover I needed for 6S281. I’m absolutely sure that my mid October 65 San Jose built Shelby came originally with the 65 style C4 Transmission based on other October 65 built K code cars I have documented. IMHO February 66 sounds really late for your car to have been built with a 65 part number C4.
 Hopefully Jeff Seigel or one of the other Shelby brainiacs on this forum can give their opinion based on archives or their first hand experience.  Sounds like you already have some documentation you’re comfortable with but it would sure be nice to get their opinion’s prior to purchasing a fairly expensive servo cover. Best of luck, I will keep my eyes open for a servo cover for you.
Karl
6s281
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

morsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:56:59 PM »
Thanks for the response guys. Cory, thanks for the suggestion, I'll start looking in that direction too, great idea.

Karl, I'm pretty darn sure the transmission in my car is original, but the cover is not, it was probably replaced because the original cracked or something, who knows. All I was going on for that was another K-Code car similar to mine that had a build date of the 15th of February, five day after my build date, his transmission had the earlier 65 version cover, see attached photo. Now that doesn't mean his is correct and original I guess, it's just all I had to go by for this. I'll reach out to Jeff and see what his opinions are, another solid suggestion.

But still in search of a cover ;)

Thanks,

Jason

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »
   Servo covers rarely crack. Yours was likely replaced because the rebuilder wasn't familiar with the K code transmission. The seals for the C servo weren't always supplied in seal kits so the more common A servo was used to replace the C unit. Some were replaced with prebuilt  exchange transmissions. My guesstimate is around 35-40% lost their C servos over time.
   I agree with your timeline and also feel you should have the C5TP casting number cover.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

morsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »
   Servo covers rarely crack. Yours was likely replaced because the rebuilder wasn't familiar with the K code transmission. The seals for the C servo weren't always supplied in seal kits so the more common A servo was used to replace the C unit. Some were replaced with prebuilt  exchange transmissions. My guesstimate is around 35-40% lost their C servos over time.
   I agree with your timeline and also feel you should have the C5TP casting number cover.
  Randy

Thanks for the response Randy, yeah I assumed it was something like that, I look into the timeline a little further about the 65 version verses the 66 version, but that helps to have an opinion.

Jason

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
  Randy

I wonder what valve body is in this trans?
If the trans was an exchange rebuild ( most common practice until recently where unique features were understood & preserved ) then the HiPo valve body may have also been lost?

just a thought to consider

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »
^^^^  Agreed.  Is there an ID tag under any of the transmission housing bolts?  This could help determine the possibility of it containing the proper HiPo valve body.

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »
  Bringing up the valve body question reminds me of a funny story that leads to info on the original valve bodies. Forty years ago I had a run on local GT350 ( automatic) owners wanting me to install shift kits in their cars. I bought a kit and saw all the same color springs already in the valve body. So I went ahead and replaced them plus I added a couple of turns to the screw in modular adjuster screw. Everyone was happy. That was when I discovered  modern ''green dot shift kits" are simply the springs , valve , and transfer passage modifications done to an original PCW BA hi po trans. Gil Younger ( Mr TransGo) bought the parts from Ford ( not normally serviced parts) because he was considered a rebuilder and was able to. The kit was a help to a non hi po C4 but a waste of time for a true hi po C4. So that is how a person can replicate the valve body. To be a total deception a person would have to add the "notch" and the ID tag. The toughest part is modifying the governor ( lighter). It's too bad CPC didn't spend the extra $s to use the Ford logo on their C servos. I have tested them back to back and they perform the same as an original.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
  Bringing up the valve body question reminds me of a funny story that leads to info on the original valve bodies. Forty years ago I had a run on local GT350 ( automatic) owners wanting me to install shift kits in their cars. I bought a kit and saw all the same color springs already in the valve body. So I went ahead and replaced them plus I added a couple of turns to the screw in modular adjuster screw. Everyone was happy. That was when I discovered  modern ''green dot shift kits" are simply the springs , valve , and transfer passage modifications done to an original PCW BA hi po trans. Gil Younger ( Mr TransGo) bought the parts from Ford ( not normally serviced parts) because he was considered a rebuilder and was able to. The kit was a help to a non hi po C4 but a waste of time for a true hi po C4. So that is how a person can replicate the valve body. To be a total deception a person would have to add the "notch" and the ID tag. The toughest part is modifying the governor ( lighter). It's too bad CPC didn't spend the extra $s to use the Ford logo on their C servos. I have tested them back to back and they perform the same as an original.
     Randy

Hi Randy,  A good machine shop can take a LoPo governor counter weight and remove materiel identical  to what Ford did.  I have a buddy that had a few recently made.  Bob Mannel has a drawing defining the modifications in one of his HiPo C4 articles.

Cory
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:44:47 PM by 6s1640 »

morsel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »
^^^^  Agreed.  Is there an ID tag under any of the transmission housing bolts?  This could help determine the possibility of it containing the proper HiPo valve body.

Craig R

Well, now that I just read Bob Mannels article I know what to look for in the valve body and can confirm, the trans is coming out of the car in the next couple weeks for a full tear down again, this is why I've decided to try to deal with this servo cover now. I rebuilt it about 6 months ago and I have this horrible leak that occurring between the case and pan gasket that I can't get to stop (don't worry, of course I've checked all the usual other spots that could give this a false reading, but did powder checks and confirmed), upon further investigation there are deep gouges in the case, so I have to have it fly cut to smooth the edge for a proper gasket to pan seal (was stupid and didn't have this done while it was out last time) Anyway, I'll investigate these things. Also, when I get back under the car I'll take a shot of the tag, I checked it last time and I know it was a PCW BA tag, just don't remember the rest of the tab info off hand.

Thanks for all the interesting info and pointing me in the direction of the Bob Mannels article, very cool...

Jason

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »
Hi Jason,

Can you please post a link to the Bob Mannel article on the Fairlane HiPo C4 article.  I can never seem to find.  I can find bits, but not the entire article.

Thanks

Cory

markboss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 06:42:54 PM »

morsel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »
Hi Jason,

Can you please post a link to the Bob Mannel article on the Fairlane HiPo C4 article.  I can never seem to find.  I can find bits, but not the entire article.

Thanks

Cory

Here's the weblink too if that helps:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-tech/104712d1279207756-how-do-i-increase-shift-rpm-c-4-transmission-my-1965-mustang-gt-289-hipo-c4.pdf.

Great article...

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
Jason, here is a picture of a hipo C4 tag From a San Jose K code that had a scheduled build date of September 30, 1965. Do you have a picture of your build tag?? I certainly wish we could convince Kevin Marti to begin making the transmission tags for these cars. Hopefully you find it helpful.
Karl
6s281
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:15:39 PM by Karguy »
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!