News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Mico Master Cylinder-Painted or unpainted?

Started by OldGuy, November 09, 2018, 04:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGuy

Guys, I'm in the beginning stages of rebuilding the original MICO master cylinder from my GT-350H (6S803). My primary question is whether or not the casting was bare or painted black? My original casting IS painted black as are many of the internet-posted pictures of this type of master cylinder. I know that this question has been asked/debated before (probably on Forum I?) and folks have posted that their master cylinder casting was "bare". I've noticed also that the steel brake lines are also painted black in some of the photos (I replaced my original lines many years ago and don't remember if they were painted or not). Would either finish be deemed correct? If there are others that have the painted casting, can we get some statistical data?

Any/all shared wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

Bob Gaines

Quote from: OldGuy on November 09, 2018, 04:07:45 PM
Guys, I'm in the beginning stages of rebuilding the original MICO master cylinder from my GT-350H (6S803). My primary question is whether or not the casting was bare or painted black? My original casting IS painted black as are many of the internet-posted pictures of this type of master cylinder. I know that this question has been asked/debated before (probably on Forum I?) and folks have posted that their master cylinder casting was "bare". I've noticed also that the steel brake lines are also painted black in some of the photos (I replaced my original lines many years ago and don't remember if they were painted or not). Would either finish be deemed correct? If there are others that have the painted casting, can we get some statistical data?

Any/all shared wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank
Typically unpainted body and unpainted lines is my point of view.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

I still have mine but it needs a rebuild. May I inquire where you are taking yours to have done or are you doing it yourself? I believe Mico still exists and offers rebuild kits.

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

TLea

Body natural cast.  Mounting bracket sg black. Large nut anodized
Yes kit still available but special order takes 12-16 weeks.

OldGuy

I am PLANNING on rebuilding my MICO myself. It is not apart yet so I can't tell if the piston bores will need to be sleeved (I've got my fingers crossed). White Post Restorations is one of the companies that will "sleeve" a MICO master cylinder (in brass). I bought my kit from MICO about 4 years ago through one of their local dealers (they will refer you to a near-by dealer if you need any parts). Contact MICO directly to get your necessary parts/kit and THEN tell the dealer what to order. The dealers will only muddy the water if they are in the specifying loop and you might not get what you need on the first go around.

It's now time to bite the bullet.

I hope this helps.

Frank

Rocket

The original on 6S550 is unpainted. A clutch exploision sent pieces of the pressure plate thru the master cylinder, so had to be replaced. For some reason I have kept the destroyed one since 1983. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

deathsled

Thank you for your input gentlemen.  I need to light a fire under myself and get mine rebuilt.  I have a Conra Automotive 1 inch bore dual master cylinder in 843 at the moment.  Original MICO sleeps peacefully with her original engine in my closet.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

TLea

Quote from: OldGuy on November 10, 2018, 12:43:01 PM
. I bought my kit from MICO about 4 years ago through one of their local dealers (they will refer you to a near-by dealer if you need any parts). Contact MICO directly to get your necessary parts/kit and THEN tell the dealer what to order. The dealers will only muddy the water if they are in the specifying loop and you might not get what you need on the first go around.

I hope this helps.

Frank
Frank the game has changed. Mico or their dealers no longer keep parts in stock. They are made (in Mexico) on a special order basis.  Had to wait 14 weeks for last one I did

OldGuy

Quote from: TLea on November 10, 2018, 05:30:10 PM
Quote from: OldGuy on November 10, 2018, 12:43:01 PM
. I bought my kit from MICO about 4 years ago through one of their local dealers (they will refer you to a near-by dealer if you need any parts). Contact MICO directly to get your necessary parts/kit and THEN tell the dealer what to order. The dealers will only muddy the water if they are in the specifying loop and you might not get what you need on the first go around.

I hope this helps.

Frank
Frank the game has changed. Mico or their dealers no longer keep parts in stock. They are made (in Mexico) on a special order basis.  Had to wait 14 weeks for last one I did

TLea, that's bad news! My guess is that the next step will be total obsolescence. That's why I bought my kit when I did even though I wasn't ready to work on my MICO at that time. deathsled (and others), you may want to order (take a number and wait) a rebuild kit and put it in your closet with the master cylinder. Even if you don't rebuild your master cylinder yourself, whomever does rebuild it will need a "kit" to do the job.

Frank