News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

(5) Original 10-Spokes w/ Tires, Center Caps, Lugs & Wrench

Started by SFM66H, November 09, 2018, 05:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM66H

Since I'm hauling my car to MCACN next week, I got a "wild hair" and thought it's a unique opportunity to haul my wheels and tires to a major event and have a potential buyer avoid all shipping costs, plus be able to see them in person before buying them.

These are original 10-spokes that I have had for over 42 years. 4 are on brand new E70-14 Goodyear Wide Tread GT's, and the 5th is on a brand new vintage 5.50-14 Goodyear Blue Streak. All five wheels are the desirable "early wide" version and all are in perfect condition.

Also included are 5 original center caps, 20 lug nuts (polished SST) and a repro lug wrench. They're ready to bolt on & show. I will email any additional photos or info requsted if anyone is interested. But I'm loading up the trailer on Wed 15 so I know this doesn't leave you much time before then.

PM me, or all my contact info is in Reply #13 in this link:  http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=3313.0

Price - $5000

Thanks for looking,
Kieth

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

SFM66H

I forgot to add that I have 4 professional tire shipping boxes, which have cushioned cardboard liners for protection of the wheel/tire faces, along with soft packing material for the backside of the tires.

Very nice for transport & shipping.

SFM66H

The spokes of  the "early-wide" version do not go to the edge of the rim.

The "narrow-late-common" version (as shown below) has spokes that do:

shelbyluva

Approximately what car number changed to the late narrow version?

SFM66H

As with many (most!) things Shelby American, there is no specific cutoff point of chassis numbers for changes made during production. The 10-spokes are (to my knowledge) no different in that regard. Others here may know the approximate car number of the change.

Of interest, the Registry says: "The Astri Company has been asked to quote on cast alloy road wheels and will send a set of 6" x 15" wheels for evaluation." I don't know if that was who made the 10-spokes or not.

Also mentioned in the Registry are meeting notes on Dec 28, 1965 that say, "Delivery of Shelby aluminum wheels continue to be a problem. Fifty units are due on this date."

And on March 30, 1966, "We are out of Shelby aluminum wheels, but Galloway reports 250 are in progress and ready for delivery sometime today."

I know this doesn't answer your question about the cutoff point between the two versions, but they're interesting footnotes about them nonetheless.

I also thought I read somewhere that Phil Remington designed them - is that known to be correct?