News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hmmm...

Started by Coralsnake, November 26, 2018, 06:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Dave,

Thanks for being honest and open minded about this situation.  I will relate one interesting story about one of the knobs I purchased off of eBay about three years ago.   After I did the transaction with the seller and he shipped it to me, he contacted me to make sure that I was satisfied.  He was not a dealer of Ford parts as many eBayers are, just a regular Joe. 

I told him I was really happy and that I've started collecting these parts.  It's much cheaper than trying to own multiple Shelby's.   >:(

He than volunteered to me how he 'aquired' the knob in the first place.  He said he has had that knob rolling around his sock drawer for over 45 years.  Back when he was in high school, he remembers going into his local  Ford dealership on his walk back home from school.  One day when the dealership was particularly busy, he and his best friend went in and sat in one of the new Shelby's on display in the showroom.  He doesn't remember the exact date, only that he graduated in 1970, and that he must have just started high school or so.  On a dare from his friend, he unscrewed the shift knob and quickly stuck it in his pocket and ran out of there. 

I asked him if he could recall what model or year car it was, but the best he remembers is that it was a convertible, and that it had the crazy taillights (his words), so it must have been a Shelby.

Now I wasn't going to argue with the man saying no Shelby ever came from the factory with this knob.  The best I could figure is that someone else may have done the same thing, and the dealership grabbed an aftermarket Autosport knob they were selling and replaced it with that.  I'm sure lots of showroom cars had many parts lifted off them in their day, especially a rare car like a Shelby.  Folks think I'll never be able to afford a real Shelby, so here is the next best thing.

I have a set of pictures of the Shelby on display at the 1967 Detroit Auto Show in Dec of 1966.  It shows an early 1967 GT350 that obviously had both of its red upper scoop light lenses removed, and a G.T. non correct gas cap installed.  Either these items were stolen on the show car, or Shelby American removed these items anticipating that they would have been stolen. 

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

TLea

I have offered David all the data known about the S8MS shift knob and how it came to be and why it was likely never used on assembly line (not conjecture but facts relayed by Tom@ ASCO) plus what his knob was. He told me unless I gave him pictures etc I had no credibility. I even offered to sell him knobs like his at what his was worth IMO.(under $100)
What to find out what it's worth David? Start new auction with $25 opening bid

David68Obee

Again Thank you TLea. I'm sorry that I don't know you personally. I'm kind of a first name kinda guy. I didn't know your name. You never signed a email.
Thank you for showing up here. If you all would read my posts carefully. I TRY to choose my words wisely. Im looking for information on mine.
lucky for this new technology I can share exactly what I said.
I Never Knocked your credibility. Im working on the credibility and information of what I have here.
Here is that part of our conversation sir:
My comment:
Well I cant sell or revise my listing accurately with this statement from a guy with no name.
Direct quote from you.
"Not ignoring. Just don't have all the Time to go to games through hundreds of piles of documentation to find what you're looking for. I have told you what you have. Right now my word is all can I give you"

It explains it right in my add why it is listed as it is. $185 reserve to start at .99
I will not put this up for $25 and roll the dice.
This is way more interesting. You gave me no help in identifying mine accurately.
I must have missed This E mail " I even offered to sell him knobs like his at what his was worth IMO.(under $100) "
I can post our entire conversation here if you like. Please send that one again.

I love the Story Brian. Thank you.  My story is a little different JR was a good friend like I stated. We were going to sell together at the Monroe Automotive swap meet in 2013. We had a great day together Friday night as we prepped our stalls, hung out, shopped others stalls and all around visiting. He passed away that evening at  home. I helped out the family for over a year past that point. I built JR's 1970 Fastback for his son to have and helped with the estate. I don't want to share all of the details but I bought a truck load of NOS parts I never knew JR owned. This is just one part.

Coralsnake

Maybe some introductions are in order? I know they dont like tooting their own horns...

Tim Lea has probably restored more national championship 1968 Shelbys (and other years) than any other restorer in the country. He has been a national concours judge for decades.

Mr Bob Gaines is a nationally recognized Shelby judge and collector. He has forgotten more about 1968s than most will ever hope to know. He is also a nationally recognized judge.

Bob Perkins is a nationally recognized collector, judge and car restorer. He is often cited in Mustang Monthly and has extensively studied parts since the 1970s.

Scott Fuller is a 1968 Shelby collector and probably has the best unrestored cars in the world. He also remanufacturers parts to exacting specs.

The people that have graciously given you their time, research and opinions are not just "some" guys, like you might find on other forums. They are in fact, the top authorities in the world on these parts.

I am a former SAAC national head judge and have judged since the mid 1990s. I focus almost exclusively on 1968 Shelbys. I also have 10 national championships.

You cant show a car nationally without these people having some type of input. I apologize for leaving others out.

I am sorry you refuse to acknowledge the evidence and remain ignorant, but thats your choice.

If you really believe you are correct, I would encourage you to run it at no reserve. Surely, there are at least two interested parties after all this conversation.

Surely these collectors and judges would have an acute interest in aquiring such a rare item?

Sorry, but I lost my patience...

Pete
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TLea

David,
You probably are the type of guy that would show up at a gunfight with a butter knife. Foolish thinking. You post part of our conversation to try and discredit me. You forgot your comment before your post above,

"For some reason though you almost totally ignored my questions"

And as far not offering to sell knobs for under $100, no you didn't miss you chose to leave it out to try and make yourself look good. Here's my words again from our conversation

Your previous message

What you have is a knob worth maybe 50 bucks. To back up what I say I will sell you several for 50 each. Not 2300

GT350Lad

I think most of us would back Pete, when guys like Tim, Bob G, Bob P and Scott speak I listen. And they are friendly guys who patiently reply time and time again to help others. Credit where it's due
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Greg

Quote from: GT350Lad on December 02, 2018, 05:56:29 AM
I think most of us would back Pete, when guys like Tim, Bob G, Bob P and Scott speak I listen. And they are friendly guys who patiently reply time and time again to help others. Credit where it's due
Cheers

++++1
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Coralsnake

I appreciate the support, but dont take my word for it.

The over counter catalog pictures, Shelby parts listing, Shelby blueprints,  multiple photos of actual knobs in their original boxes and valuations from previous auctions should be convincing.

That along with the words of some the most influentual people in the hobby, concours judges, Shelby club representatives, forum members and the actual guy that made the knobs, each with over 35 years of experience , should be convincing.

But, I guess all that gets equal weight with some person on the other side of the country that also has an incorrect knob in an original box and someone who has a vague recollection of stealing a knob off a car months or years after the car was built. "What are the odds?"

Reason and logic have left the building.

TLea

What something is worth is what someone is willing to pay for it. There will always be those willing to pay for "a story"

BGlover67

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 02, 2018, 08:19:31 AM

The over counter catalog pictures, Shelby parts listing, Shelby blueprints,  multiple photos of actual knobs in their original boxes and valuations from previous auctions should be convincing.

That along with the words of some the most influentual people in the hobby, concours judges, Shelby club representatives, forum members and the actual guy that made the knobs, each with over 35 years of experience , should be convincing.

But, I guess all that gets equal weight with some person on the other side of the country that also has an incorrect knob in an original box and someone who has a vague recollection of stealing a knob off a car months or years after the car was built. "What are the odds?"

m
Pete,

I just mentioned the story about the knob being stolen off a showroom car not to support this idiots delusions and justifications for his  aberrant price, but instead to show how easily people get confused about an items origins.  Please dont think it was to support his attempt to fleece someone on eBay.
At this point, I'm shocked he hasn't just pulled the ad, but obviously he really doesn't care.  Oh well.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: BGlover67 on December 02, 2018, 03:11:52 PM

m
Pete,

I just mentioned the story about the knob being stolen off a showroom car not to support this idiots delusions and justifications for his  aberrant price, but instead to show how easily people get confused about an items origins.  Please dont think it was to support his attempt to fleece someone on eBay.
At this point, I'm shocked he hasn't just pulled the ad, but obviously he really doesn't care.  Oh well.

I don't thinks anyone here will misinterpret you offering.  Were you aware he added it to the ramblings in his eBay ad??
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Coralsnake

I dont hold anything against anyone sharing information. The more information, the better.

I think I have done what I can.

BGlover67

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on December 02, 2018, 03:50:36 PM
Quote from: BGlover67 on December 02, 2018, 03:11:52 PM

m
Pete,

I don't thinks anyone here will misinterpret you offering.  Were you aware he added it to the ramblings in his eBay ad??

No, I wasn't.  But I'm not surprised.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

David68Obee

Pete Thank you very much for the introductions.
    I sincerely apologize for offending In any way I may have. I understand losing your patience with this topic and myself trying to get exact information on this exact shift knob.  You have done what you can to educate me Pete. Thank you. I meant you no disrespect, at the same time I do acknowledge I may have shown little. I do apologize.
    I'm really very sorry my meaning of your Story Brian was lost in my listing. I totally see how it could be. I told your story to show how things can end up where they don't belong. Not in any way to justify mine belongs in that box. I felt we were getting along in this topic. I again thank you for your time and the patients you've shown me.
Mr Tim Lea.
I am sorry I thought our conversations on Ebay held so little information that I could use to identify my shift knob and that I did not know your name to address to properly. Sincerely, Thank you for your time sir.
This whole thing has never been about the money. JR would be proud that I didn't sell it. The Oil pan and the shift knob has again done the same things it has done for me in the past. Introduced me to new people, sold some stuff , I even made a new friend and possible new customer.
I will pull my add. I will NOT sell the shift knob (unless someone wants it REAL bad) lol
At the same time it will remain with this box in my little case to be found when I pass and whomever is left here on the SAAC forum can have this discussion again some day.
I hold no ill will or thoughts to any negative jabs like getting "kicked in the balls" ..lol.. all's good.
I totally know I was walking into a lion's den with a just a chair and no whip, and whatever you think of me I feel I lived through it and I'm gonna sit down on this chair and watch the Loins.
Again Thank you all.
Sincerely David Obee

P.S. Thank you Brian for showing me your knob ( love the "HEY DAVID" note) Exactly like mine with the Shelby And the Cobra script.
  Unless I have missed it, I have not seen or been shown this Exact shift knob with both scripts in a catalog or in it's original packaging (rare indeed) OK I GET IT it doesn't go in the box I have. But in the future if someone runs across that exact knob in a catalog I'd love to have that picture and description.
Thank you.