Author Topic: Ownership History  (Read 5305 times)

Survivor

• View Profile
Ownership History
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:13:54 AM »
Anyone had any experience with the CA DMV tracing the ownership history of a Mustang.  I have the original CA plates (with several layers of those small stickers in the upper right corner still in place ) and I know who the original dealer was-now long gone.  Thanks. 

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Re: Ownership History
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
Not sure if they still do this but  years back you could go to any DMV station in CA  , fill out a form with a car serial number and plunk down a few bucks and they would print out the history. They probably have changed it by now but it worked back then.  we filled out CSX2287  and it spit out the name and address of that woman that owned it at the time
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
  Seriously consider hiring a P.I.  I would think he may charge you only a couple hundred bucks to do it.  Depending how long the car has been out of the system it may take some special contacts to reach far back into the DMV database. 

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »
I am in California and I tried to get history on the cars I own and the only name that came up was my own. I filled out all the papers and sent in the nominal fee and received information that I already had. It was a waste of time. The PI route might work, but I would only pursue that if they were willing to do it based upon their success in getting any useful information. If you are successful, please let us know.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »
Couple years back,
Hemmings (I think) had a piece on a business that would do this for you. They specialized in Corvettes but would really do any car.

I believe they were in California. They had a kitschy name like "Corvette finders" or something similar.

Unfortunately, I lost that info in my P/M folder from 1.0 and can't seem to remember enough to find it in a search.

I would love to do this as well, I will keep looking.

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:33:22 AM »
California DMV began purging records after 10 years a long time ago.  Dead end was my experience.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 12:24:24 PM »
Anyone had any experience with the CA DMV tracing the ownership history of a Mustang.  I have the original CA plates (with several layers of those small stickers in the upper right corner still in place ) and I know who the original dealer was-now long gone.  Thanks.

Are these loose plates or are they on a car? Loose plates can be tough if they are not current enough to be in the system. You may only be informed if they are "clear " or not. If they are on a car the chances are better as the vehicle serial number ''carries more weight".
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »
Good feedback and great article-thanks.  I did have luck years ago in Fla. with DMV-they actually brought me back to the original purchaser with, believe it or not, copies of all titles.  Of course, that was 1990 which pre-dates the new legislation noted in the article.  The front plate was off the car but still attached to the dealer plate frame and was found sitting on the front floor.  The rear plate is still on the car and again, still attached to the original dealer plate frame.  I'm assuming that since the dealer closed years ago, all sales records were destroyed or now long gone.  Here's the frustrating part, my seller has the name of his seller i.e., the individual he bought the car from who bought it out of CA and then brought it to Pittsburgh-but, he won't give it up.  Likely due to his attempt to back out of our deal at the last minute and my suggestion that the court system would be a costly way to resolve that decision...  I may have to try a little more finesse with him but thought that a DMV process, if available, would be a much less troublesome alternative.     
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:18:35 PM by Survivor »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 05:37:01 PM »
 OK let us help you . What dealer , car , original color. Someone might recall and say "I know that car" . PM or post .
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »
It takes a lot of time, >> usually, to run down past history of a car.
One can get lucky with a few calls, and a trip to the DMV.
Please know, that most states delete anything over 20 years old now, have for a number of years.
Some old State Micro Fish may be around,

Lots to do, DMV, NCIC , a gazillion phone calls and emails>>and a whole lot more.
As a whole, this guy has quite the success rate with corvettes, that's a good sign.
Do not know if he will do a venomous snake though>>

I do hope that you find what you are searching out.
Regards,
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »
Many thanks for the follow up info.  Randy-pm sent.  Thanks.

Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
Okay, what's the saying-"sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees"?  Just realized that there is a decal for the Automobile Club of Southern California on the p-side windshield.  Has to be from the mid '80's when the car was last registered in CA (1986).  Anyone familiar with this organization or whether it still exists.  Some more digging on my end for sure. 

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
Yes, it's very much still around.  I've been a member since the '70s, although have never attempted to trace any vehicle there.  Good luck and let us know. 

https://www.calif.aaa.com/
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick