News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Mk2 Cobra engine

Started by nineinchrear, April 10, 2024, 12:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nineinchrear

Is it possible to match a '63 HiPo engine to a particular car by its Ford stamped id ( PAxxxx)? Does the SAAC hold records of chassis/ engine number as built, either at SAI or AC?

Dan Case

quote author=nineinchrear link=msg=195418 date=1712767141]
Is it possible to match a '63 HiPo engine to a particular car by its Ford stamped id ( PAxxxx)? Does the SAAC hold records of chassis/ engine number as built, either at SAI or AC?
[/quote]

Based on prior experience, it might not be the way you might have in mind.

Car owners can request information from any factory paperwork the registrar has regarding their car and in that paperwork might be the engine number documented for their car. One might ask if engine X was installed in car Y and get an answer if it is in the files.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

wcampbell

If you happen to have an engine in your possession - would you be willing to share the casting date on the block? This might help further determine a car missing an engine near that time window to help narrow down a bit. For example if your block is say 3C15 (March 15th 1963) it might help to understand it's from an '63 car within X build window vs. 3K15 (October 15th 1963) which is considered a '64 engine installed in a car perhaps 75 cars later. I only suggest this because not all COBRA records clearly identify an engine. As well, knowing the model year it was intended for may help understand its market accuracy and value.

Dan Case

Quote from: wcampbell on April 10, 2024, 06:11:31 PMIf you happen to have an engine in your possession - would you be willing to share the casting date on the block? This might help further determine a car missing an engine near that time window to help narrow down a bit. For example if your block is say 3C15 (March 15th 1963) it might help to understand it's from an '63 car within X build window vs. 3K15 (October 15th 1963) which is considered a '64 engine installed in a car perhaps 75 cars later. I only suggest this because not all COBRA records clearly identify an engine. As well, knowing the model year it was intended for may help understand its market accuracy and value.

Engine assembly date is the single most important date detail, followed by engine serial number.  There was not ONE five bolt HP289 engine 1963-64 but a family of them with Ford changes in some significant components periodically. Engineering assembly numbers and quick order codes changed at each significant change in parts lists. (The time between the casting of a cylinder block and incorporating it into a complete engine could be weeks to several months, so that date is not all that informative.) 
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

nineinchrear

Block date 3E10, Assy date 3E15A and Carb 3DC (still has original Autolite).

Dan Case

Quote from: nineinchrear on April 11, 2024, 09:29:45 AMBlock date 3E10, Assy date 3E15A and Carb 3DC (still has original Autolite).

Interesting. A private message sent through this forum with my email address should you care to share engine details for inclusion in the database I keep on early HP289 engines. An intact engine it that time frame is very interesting to study.
Dan Case

wcampbell

So as I indicated before - likely not an engine in a '64 car being 3E10 (May 10th '63) is clearly a mid-late '63 car engine. At least you know if there's a COBRA it belongs to it'd be a '63 car sold in Summer of '63 I'd guess - odds are greatest for this. I'd argue perhaps on the early side of MKII Production. Dan I believe I've heard you say before no June engines built and the next batch was perhaps July/Aug which would then likely fall into a '64 production chassis.... something this timeframe would be good to learn production changes from. If memory serves this would have the timing cover oil filler neck, PCV valve covers and a road draft tube. IT would also likely have a Ford generator with it.