Author Topic: Mounting tabs for a "65 Galaxie radiator "AKA" R Model  (Read 3063 times)

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
Mounting tabs for a "65 Galaxie radiator "AKA" R Model
« on: December 12, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
Hey Kids, Anyone reproduce the mounting tabs to put one of these radiators in a '65-66 Mustang. I'm building a Group II replica.

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting tabs for a "65 Galaxie radiator "AKA" R Model
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 04:56:40 PM »
I'd settle for some good pictures of how the larger radiator is mounted. Maybe I can make my own tabs.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:50:09 PM »
Here you go. I also posted this on the 5R098 Essex Wire car post. Hope this helps you.

Cheers,
~Earl J

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 07:56:46 PM »
Here is my W-MO 2-66 Group I/II R Model radiator. This differs from the 65 Galaxie radiator in that it is 1 1/2" shorter in height. It also has the R Model oil cooler mounted.

When I made the tabs , I used only single bolts on the tab to radiator support. I didn't want the extra set of holes and I also didn't trim the radiator support in front of the radiator in the event I choose to return the stock radiator.

Cheers,
~Earl J

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 08:29:18 PM »
Thanks for the pics and intel. Gives me more to go on.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »
Have you talked to Jim Cowles at Shelby Parts and Restoration?

I bought a set of reproduction radiator brackets from him a couple years ago.

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »
Here is my W-MO 2-66 Group I/II R Model radiator. This differs from the 65 Galaxie radiator in that it is 1 1/2" shorter in height. It also has the R Model oil cooler mounted.
Earl,
How thick a fan spacer did you have to use to clear the oil cooler?  Was it a custom-made or aFoMoCo piece you found that worked?  How long have you driven this configuration?
Tom Kubler
6S296

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »
Earl,
How thick a fan spacer did you have to use to clear the oil cooler?  Was it a custom-made or aFoMoCo piece you found that worked?  How long have you driven this configuration?

Tom,

It was not custom, it was a FoMoCo piece 3/4" thick. I couldn't tell you the original application, all what was important to me was the thickness. I've driven it in this configuration for tha past 8 years. What was custom is the thermostat housing in the upper hose. It needed to clear the HiPo fan which was routed in a funny way. I was determined to get everything working properly with the Webers.

Cheers,
~Earl J

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »
As a new guy I may be prone to dumb questions but can someone share a ford part number for the proper Fairlane radiator? Anybody got a source for the proper part?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 10:22:31 PM »
I purchased an NOS 65 Galaxie big block radiator from Bob Perkins. He may have what you need. Be ready to have it shortened about 1-1/2" in height....a big pill to swallow if you use NOS parts. Otherwise, find some big block top and bottom tanks and have a core made up to size. The fun part is the frame.
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio