News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Steering box black out

Started by Mike Shally, December 29, 2018, 01:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Shally

This question is how applicable is the note about black out the top of the steering box for an 1968 Shelby built Nov 21 1967?
There is a note that shows up on Page 66 of the Mustang chassis assembly manual and reads " at assembly paint black all portions of steering as viewed open hood" also noted this is the latest engineering change.
Is there any one who has documented this black out? 
original owner, 68 Shelby judge, MCA Gold Card Judge, MCACN Shelby Judge

Special Ed

I have had a 69 new take off steering gear box removed from a 1000 mile car that was wrecked new that i use for reference that i bought 25 years ago at a swap meet & it has black paint on top of gearbox & shaft & some on the ragjoint. Some excess black paint runs down the side of the box. When cleaning these gearboxes the black paint dont stay ontop the gearbox very well because of all the  gearbox gease  filling & oil & the vent on top of gearbox.

Bob Gaines

I have seen evidence on many 65-70 Shelby's of the black out. It is something I look for since Ed pointed it out to me 25 some odd years ago. I have seen a number of survivor 68 Shelby's and all had evidence of the black out.  I believe the vast majority were blacked out.  I wouldn't go as far as saying it was on every single one but think it was something that was supposed to be done especially since instructions were given to be done on all. Others may think differently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

Mike my observations are hit or miss. For everyone I find that has it another doesn't. I would be ok with either

68stangcjfb

Does this steering box blackout also apply to regular Mustang and Other Ford or Mercury production or just Shelby's?
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

acman63

Mustang too.  assembly manual doesn't differentiate for Shelby
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

68stangcjfb

Oh okay. So when I do my engine swap next month, I will be sure to fix that little detail mistake. Obviously it's a lot easier to do it with the engine out of the car. Forgot to ask this.  Would the tag have gotten hit with black paint?
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Special Ed

yes it was on the box before blackout.

68blk500c

We have had this conversation, in person, Mike.  My experience with cars that have not been messed with is far more did have blackout than didn't;  Jason's experience is, all did.  Tim has had his hands on a bunch.  Knowing that variances do occur on a given car, I can understand some that didn't get the black; chalk it up to human error.  I would expect to see it, especially with the Assembly Manual procedure, but would be interested in an owner's documentation, otherwise.

Happy New Year!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on December 30, 2018, 09:55:19 AM
Oh okay. So when I do my engine swap next month, I will be sure to fix that little detail mistake. Obviously it's a lot easier to do it with the engine out of the car. Forgot to ask this.  Would the tag have gotten hit with black paint?
Remember for historical accuracy it was not neat . It was done with a small 2 inch brush most likely. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68stangcjfb

No problem. I definitely prefer accuracy over neatness. Thank you.