Author Topic: All 1969 Shelbys had a "Caution Fan" sticker  (Read 2312 times)

5s386

• View Profile
All 1969 Shelbys had a "Caution Fan" sticker
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:45:54 AM »
Someone on Faceblook just found a Barn Find, all original Maroon 69 GT500 Drag Pack fastback with a caution fan sticker from the factory. He claims to be "Ford Purist" and "doing this a long time". 

What you say, Shelby experts?   

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: All 1969 Shelbys had a "Caution Fan" sticker
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:00:21 AM »
He knows not what he is speaking of....

5s386

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »
Which SAAC forum dept. should have the reason why Shelbys didn't have the
popular "Caution Fan" sticker?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:48:48 AM »
Its been covered many times. The decal was only used on service parts. Someone doing this a long time would know better than to say “all”
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:05:13 PM by Coralsnake »

Mark500

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 01:24:57 PM »
I am peeling my sticker off my NOS Shroud tonight. I can't have that going on.....  lol

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
 Boss 429's with their tiny radiator finger guard used the caution fan sticker from the factory but all vintage Shelby's and the vast majority of Mustangs didn't during that same 65-69 Shelby time period. With that said as has been mentioned the caution fan sticker came on service fan shrouds made after 1970. It was also part of a 70's effort by Ford to have the stickers installed on fan shrouds after the fact.  I believe for liability reasons. The stickers were also installed by dealers many times when cars came in for service or recalls back in the day(early 70's). I have Ford correspondence from early 1970's to a 69 Shelby owner of record that included a sticker and letter asking to have the sticker installed on the fan shroud. Same type of liability mitigating campaign was done for space savers with a yellow sticker sent to owners of 69 Shelby's years after the fact. The ironic thing is that the stickers are typically used on vintage Shelby's by owners and restorers as a show of originality. The sticker when used on any year 65-70 Shelby typically illustrates a lack of understanding on what is period original . It is now looked at as a big red flag when used on a vintage Shelby because if the usage is not understood that the sticker was never used originally on a car that many other equally non original parts,build and restoration techniques will also be found . It is seen as the tip of the iceberg of incorrect factory details.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:46:43 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 01:35:38 PM »
Boss 429's with their tiny radiator finger guard used the caution fan sticker from the factory but all vintage Shelby's and the vast majority of Mustangs didn't during that same 65-69 Shelby time period. With that said as has been mentioned the caution fan sticker came on service fan shrouds made after 1970. It was also part of a 70's effort by Ford to have the stickers installed on fan shrouds after the fact.  I believe for liability reasons. The stickers were also installed by dealers many times when cars came in for service or recalls back in the day(early 70's). I have Ford correspondence from early 1970's to a 69 Shelby owner of record that included a sticker and letter asking to have the sticker installed on the fan shroud. Same type of liability mitigating campaign was done for space savers with a yellow sticker sent to owners of 69 Shelby's years after the fact. The ironic thing is that the stickers are typically used on vintage Shelby's by owners and restorers as a show of originality. The sticker when used on any year 65-70 Shelby typically illustrates a lack of understanding on what is period original . It is now looked at as a big red flag when used on a vintage Shelby because if the usage is not understood that the sticker was never used originally on a that many other equally non original parts,build and restoration techniques will also be found . It is seen as the tip of the iceberg of incorrect factory details.
It doesn't help things that the "Caution Fan " stickers are included in the typical "original" sticker /decal kits. People put them on not knowing any better . The next typical auction car or back yard spruce up of a vintage Mustang or Shelby is done and one of those generic sticker kits are used, brings out a whole new batch of cars to perpetuate the myth.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 02:25:46 PM »
Bob is absolutely correct. at the dealer level, we were requested to install these decals on most of the older fords. even rarer, around the mid 70,s, we were suppose to install the sticker on the dashboard about putting the car in park, or it might slip out of gear and roll away. or the seat recall thing (68). phred

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »
Now I had a "Caution Fan" on my 1967 Shelby shroud. Picture proof below.  For about 24 hours. I leaned too hard on it and cracked it. It worked great to hold it together until the fiberglass cured......   -Keith