News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 raised taillight panel with NO lip over trunk - Anyone have one on their car?

Started by Richstang, January 07, 2019, 11:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on August 26, 2020, 08:02:09 PM
Trying to remember but I think 2195 had that also.
It would most likely have the contoured tail panel like all others built about 1000 cars before 2195 and to the end of production. What would be a oddity however is if it didn't have the lip like it should have in the time frame 2195 was built in . Since the cars were not finished in strict order you sometimes have early cars ending up with features typically seen on later production cars but you would not typically have later cars being finished off with earlier discontinued features.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 26, 2020, 09:43:21 PM
Quote from: Richstang on August 26, 2020, 07:57:50 PM
The attached close up photo, pulled from the link posted above, should help clear up any doubts over the type of tail light panel we see on #1061.

Notice the curved recesses between the top edge of the panel and taillights. These curves are enhanced by the white painted stripes. Also, there are shadows created by the raised panel surfaces. These areas are all highlighted in the circles drawn on the photo.

The larger picture help convince me of the contour.Thank you. I would have been convinced of a flat tailpanel otherwise. It was a optical illusion for me that no contour could be seen in the smaller picture.

Seems that the raised amount is a bit less than the next/later version(s) that have the top lip that got riveted and was covered by the deck lid - yes?

Also the cut-outs for the exhaust tips on this car don't seem quite correct for the GT Dual Exhaust valance, maybe they were the hand-cut (early version) modified when restored?  attached another view of the back...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

I would be interested in knowing what kind of light boxes were used. The thin ons or the thick ones.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby