News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Date coding a Borg Warner T 10 side cover

Started by 6s1640, August 22, 2023, 05:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

I have a 1965 aluminum Borg Warner T 10 side cover T10–148B.  It has a casting date molded just below the part number with a "2", four dots and 65.  I'm assuming the four dots are for April, forth month and 65 is for 1965. There's also a second "2" which I'm guessing is second shift. Any other guesses. Please see attached images.

Thank you

Cory

J_Speegle

Not certain if BW shared the same method as some of the other aluminum casting companies or if they had another company cast for the making of the part.  The logo in the upper right appears to suggest or support that.

The date wheel looks somewhat different from other casting companies during the same period but the raised numbers and the dots are similar. With all that said and following the pattern we are use to seeing the dotes would indicated the month (4= April) and the 65 would be the year. The other number may be the individual mold number for the part 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Hi Jeff,

I reviewed another aluminum T10 side cover that has a "1", two dots and 65.  It also has a larger "1"cast into the side cover, very similar to the image I sent above with "2".  I'm tending to agree with you that the one or two might be the mold identification and not the shift. Thanks for your help.
Cory

6s1640

Hi Jeff,

I came across another side plate identical to the one I post earlier. This is a test of our theory.  The date casting wheel has a "3" and two dots, no Year.   Suggesting cavity 3, February, no Year.  There's a large "1" to the right of the WG DIV. markings. The "3" and "1" do not match like the other two examples .  So what do you think that means?  Maybe the large "1" means shift or the reverse.  The "3" is shift and "1" is casting tool ID.

Cory

J_Speegle

Could be Feb 63 possibly and mold #1. Its not unusual for the molds and features to be different when they are designed different time periods or years

We see this in other parts Cast molds made in 64, 65 and 66 for example and even though the date stamp is for when the new part is cast not when the mold was made

Just a possibility don't recall ever talking directly from one of the casting plants other than iron ones
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge