News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sill Plate Emblem for 66

Started by SFM6S1348, February 01, 2018, 12:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Thanks guys will add these to the list.

Always looking for details like this from unrestored cars. Less of them every day
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

All good Jeff. I loved the survey threads back in the day

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

J_Speegle

Quote from: GT350Lad on August 24, 2023, 02:16:09 AM
All good Jeff. I loved the survey threads back in the day

Cheers

Thanks. Guess I need to publish more of them :)  Just have to choose what subjects to cover and put out there.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Harris Speedster

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 21, 2018, 05:46:13 PM
Quote from: Brant on March 21, 2018, 12:44:41 PM
Reproductions are very, very close if not exact. The letters may be a bit bolder or just appear to be due to the comparison between brand new and 50+ years of wear.

I've never seen a "two line" label on a '66 that I could absolutely verify as original.

The later '66s that I have seen, have the same "one line" label, but they have silk screened (flat, not raised) logo, lettering and border.
It is more then a 50 year age patina difference. Don't get me wrong because I am glad to see the raised style sill plate emblem available but if you think that the letters are exact when you compare the genuine original to the reproduction I respectfully disagree. I know it is more then just me .  I can tell from ten feet away . It frustrates me when the aftermarket gets one very close when they could have done a little more research or to a little more effort and gotten it exact.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BOB,
The post made me dig out some really mint door sills from an original shelby.
Did 65 have the CS reversed to the other side?
2nd, are the 66 plates being shown the same as a oct built 67 ?
I truly can't remember.
I agree with you, there are noticeable differences in repops.
Thanks
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on August 24, 2023, 11:59:17 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 21, 2018, 05:46:13 PM
Quote from: Brant on March 21, 2018, 12:44:41 PM
Reproductions are very, very close if not exact. The letters may be a bit bolder or just appear to be due to the comparison between brand new and 50+ years of wear.

I've never seen a "two line" label on a '66 that I could absolutely verify as original.

The later '66s that I have seen, have the same "one line" label, but they have silk screened (flat, not raised) logo, lettering and border.
It is more then a 50 year age patina difference. Don't get me wrong because I am glad to see the raised style sill plate emblem available but if you think that the letters are exact when you compare the genuine original to the reproduction I respectfully disagree. I know it is more then just me .  I can tell from ten feet away . It frustrates me when the aftermarket gets one very close when they could have done a little more research or to a little more effort and gotten it exact.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BOB,
The post made me dig out some really mint door sills from an original shelby.
Did 65 have the CS reversed to the other side?
2nd, are the 66 plates being shown the same as a oct built 67 ?
I truly can't remember.
I agree with you, there are noticeable differences in repops.
Thanks
John
John, 65 typically had the Ford sill plates. The 67 plates were two line and had a flat CS. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

Bob,
Could it be that the picture shown is reversed?
The CS on mine are originals and on the opposite side/end ?
I need to get my 67 out of its decades long sleep, and see what all I have in all the boxes, sill plates inc.
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on August 24, 2023, 02:19:30 PM
Bob,
I need to get my 67 out of its decades long sleep, and see what all I have in all the boxes, sill plates inc.
John
John ,why not post a picture of what you got because picture here is not reversed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Bob,

Are you referring to one like the two line version discussed and shown earlier in this thread? Picture shown in reply #10.

tomhawk

Sill plate from 6s1831, Unrestored also flat not embossed 1 line. I need to remove without bending. Would heat gun be the best? Also need 1 more original like this. Other side missing for some reason.  Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tomhawk on August 24, 2023, 06:05:44 PM
Sill plate from 6s1831, Unrestored also flat not embossed 1 line. I need to remove without bending. Would heat gun be the best? Also need 1 more original like this. Other side missing for some reason.  Thanks
Yes a heat gun will soften the adhesive.

tomhawk

Tip of the day, heat gun works great. Heated up then used a utility knife blade to slide down the length behind the plate. Thanks Bob

Karguy

I recently acquired this copy of an original design of the 66 GT 350 door sill plate tag. It was drawn by a Mr. Kerr who apparently worked under Peter Brock. It was signed off and approved by a young project manager named C. Cantwell. Chuck Cantwell signed off on it 7/6/65. It might be helpful to this conversation because it shows a lot of dimensions and even the raised areas that they designed into the plate. Under the material to be use section, it says "foil with adhesive backing". The sample in the lower left corner is smooth but I believe it was just a test sample.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

J_Speegle

Interesting piece. Thanks for sharing

Bob Gaines

Harris Speedster

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 24, 2023, 02:41:38 PM
Bob,

Are you referring to one like the two line version discussed and shown earlier in this thread? Picture shown in reply #10.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The 2nd one in the picture is what I have Jeff.
Post number 10, being exact also.
I truly can't remember which 66 Shelby they came from ?
John