News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'67 trunk underlayment

Started by Survivor, January 15, 2019, 11:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Survivor

Anyone know whether '67 Mustangs came from the factory with trunk underlayment/sound deadener on top of the gas tank.  Thx. 

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Survivor

Thx-are the 2 I noted different products or one in the same and just referenced differently. 

JD

to my knowledge there was one.
Current offerings are for both '67 and '68 and various assembly plants - correct vs fits. 
Others will know more.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

We normally refer to "sound deadener" as the spray on application of the thick and often "gloopy" product the factory applied to the front wheelwells, rear wheel wells and trunk (inner quarter panel surfaces) - besides other areas of the car. And underlayment as the pads made of a combination of a jute layer sandwiched with two layer of tar followed by craft paper or plastic depending on year and assembly plant. All this to reduce confusion.  As a related subject. We've tried to keep the dealer or first owner applied spray on products from being confused with sound deadener by referring to it as "undercoating"

Hope this helps

The top of the gas tank would not have received an application of sound deadener since it was not installed in the car when the uni-body was at those application stations.

Not sure what Mustang(s) your referring to (options and or plants).  Don't believe all 67 Mustangs received the sound deadener at this point
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 15, 2019, 03:30:39 PM
We normally refer to "sound deadener" as the spray on application of the thick and often "gloopy" product the factory applied to the front wheelwells, rear wheel wells and trunk (inner quarter panel surfaces) - besides other areas of the car. And underlayment as the pads made of a combination of a jute layer sandwiched with two layer of tar followed by craft paper or plastic depending on year and assembly plant. All this to reduce confusion.  As a related subject. We've tried to keep the dealer or first owner applied spray on products from being confused with sound deadener by referring to it as "undercoating"

Hope this helps

The top of the gas tank would not have received an application of sound deadener since it was not installed in the car when the uni-body was at those application stations.

Not sure what Mustang(s) your referring to (options and or plants).  Don't believe all 67 Mustangs received the sound deadener at this point
Just to clarify so that there is no confusion on the good information given above - underlayment on top of the gas tank yes ,sound deadner no.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 15, 2019, 04:08:16 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on January 15, 2019, 03:30:39 PM

Hope this helps

Just to clarify so that there is no confusion on the good information given above - underlayment on top of the gas tank yes ,sound deadner no.

Yes, I should have stated that sound deadener is not the same as underlayment and that they got the underlayment.

Thanks Jeff & Bob!

J_Speegle

Quote from: JD on January 15, 2019, 04:52:29 PM
Yes, I should have stated that sound deadener is not the same as underlayment and that they got the underlayment.

Just to be clear - I'm not certain that all 67 Mustangs received the underlayment. The question wasn't Shelby specific ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

67 Shelby's came with the underlayment on top of the gas tank.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Survivor

Should have made my question a bit clearer as the feedback has been fantastic and I'm not looking to waste. anyone's time-my bad.  It's a '67 San Jose Coupe-early production if that makes a difference.   

J_Speegle

Quote from: Survivor on January 16, 2019, 10:36:43 AM
Should have made my question a bit clearer as the feedback has been fantastic and I'm not looking to waste. anyone's time-my bad.  It's a '67 San Jose Coupe-early production if that makes a difference.

When was the car built and what interior code or body code (from the door tag) does it have?

Survivor

Build date was 11/17/66 (36,455)
Tag Data: 7R01A/65BW6K16L71A5

There are remnants of glue/padding on top of what is the original gas tank.  Thx.