News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Header Selection

Started by Greg P, February 25, 2019, 07:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg P

I am nearing the end of the 302/4V rebuild.  9.5:1 compression, date code correct block, orig 53cc chamber volume heads.  Adding a correct Paxton supercharger with 4777 Holly from Paradise Wheels.  Replacing my original J-Code intake with a S2MS-9424-A.  I am trying to find a quality set of Ceramic coated, Tri-Y headers and wonder if anyone has a recommendation.  From my research seems Doug's Headers are well reviewed but they are on the more costly side.  Doug Thorley is also pretty pricey.  I see that Scott Drake's are about half the price and Tony Branda has a set in the same price range as the Drake's.  Not sure of the mfg but they look a lot like the Scott Drake layout from the photo.  I tend to think you get what you pay for, so leaning toward Doug's Headers.  Thoughts?

1967 eight barrel

Headers have got rediculous in recent history.  I have seen a set of these and their install.  They are decent headers, especially for the price. Polished stainless and a relatively heavy guage. The flanges are well made as well. I would use the Remflex gaskets below. I have them on my '67 GT500. They DO NOT LEAK. They are about 3/16" thick layered graphite and they are rated to 3,000 degrees.  You're not going to burn through them.
                                                                                               -Keith

Headers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/191661747998?rmvSB=true
Remflex Gaskets.
https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/rfl-3004                               

1967 eight barrel

800.00 is pricey for small block headers. Those of us with FE cars have few choices.  I saw the headers I listed. They were made well and installed well.
                                                                                                                               -Keith

Greg P

Keith, that looks like a good option.  I could even get them jet-hot ceramic coated for heat control and still come out with less cost than the Doug's option.  Thanks for the lead.

68gtcoupe

I had the J-code engine in my '68 GT coupe rebuilt back around 2010.  It was originally rebuilt to stock specs, save for a cam upgrade.  Over the years, I have added some mild bolt-ons to the engine, including a set of Doug's ceramic coated tri-y headers.  I can't speak highly enough of them.  After a few heat cycles with requisite checking/tightening of the header bolts, they have given me no trouble whatsoever.  They still look good too.  Car is a driver from May-October here in NH.  I recommend them to anyone looking for a quality product. 

Greg P

Very cool to hear from another J-Code coupe owner.  I've been doing a lot of comparing.  I liked the Performance SST option but they are out of stock and don't have any more builds upcoming.  So the Doug headers are what I will be going with.  Glad to hear you had a good experience with them.

Dan353

I have FPA headers on my 69 GT350 they fit great.  I'm very happy with them.

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Side-Oilers

FPA on my KR's side-oiler, since 2014. No leaks. 

Ground clearance is excellent, they tuck up higher than the bottom of the bell-housing.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

^^^ Are you guys using bellcranks or hydraulics?

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

1967 eight barrel

Factory bell crank, diaphram clutch.
                                                   -Keith