News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 GT500 interior help

Started by waltweems, January 20, 2019, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967 eight barrel

Jeff: If he had an example in hand there's no reason he couldn't make a mold of the area for conversion. He obviously has the ability to replicate the texture and replace holes the size of  6X9 speakers. Perhaps someone should contact him and query.

-Keith

Bossbill

Yeah, I wonder what he can do for sanded down interior rear quarter panels?
Does he re-texture the whole panel? My 65 has suffered this "sanding" fate.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on January 22, 2019, 05:32:25 PM
Jeff: If he had an example in hand there's no reason he couldn't make a mold of the area for conversion. ..

That's what I was thinking

Think asking for the ability to retexture the whole surface might be a big ask Bill but doesn't hurt to ask
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

waltweems

There is one for sale C8ZB-6331112-A - it has the FORD logo.  Supposed to be for 67-68 Mustang and Shelby.  Anyone know if this looks OK.

Walt Weems

1967 eight barrel

67 panels are different if memory serves correctly.

Steve Z

In regards to the rear quarter panels. How are most people restoring  these panels. 1. Prep and cleaning for the initial finish ? 2. Has anyone tried staining or vinyl paint? Thanks Steve

JD

clean and light coat of black or very dark gray primer then paint if doing the charcoal metallic "black" ('67 black interior on the fiber-plastic and metal surfaces - but not the seat backs or lower trim pieces) does not cover well and needs a base.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Steve Z

JD , Thanks. My panels appear to have been painted at sometime. Someone had recommended using Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the previous paint. Does that sound like the proper method? Thanks

1967 eight barrel

Yes, Easy off works great as long as it's OE paint.  You have to use the yellow can. The blue can will not work.  If it was re-sprayed you may have to have them plastic media blasted at low pressure.

-Keith

JWH

Steve Z, I used Easy Off on my interior panels to strip the paint and it worked very well - meaning the paint came off but the texture of the panel remained unharmed. A couple of tips: 1) you must use the Heavy Duty Easy Off in the yellow can, the blue can does not remove the paint 2) buy some sheet plastic from the local hardware store. After coating the entire panel with Easy Off, cover with the sheet plastic to slow evaporation. I let mine sit overnight 3) after the Easy Off has had time to work and you have removed the plastic, use a pressure nozzle on the end of a garden hose to help remove the paint 4) you may need to repeat this process several times until all the paint is removed. I had to repeat this process four times letting them soak overnight each time. The Easy Off is not an aggressive paint remover, but that is why it works well on these panels and does not remove the grain. A close up of the interior quarter panel near the roll bar is attached.
        Note, many years ago I tried the Aircraft Paint Stripper sold at auto parts stores. That was a BIG mistake on these panels as I found it melted the panel and all texture was gone.
Jeff

1967 eight barrel

Aircraft Stripper makes a Fiberglass/ Plastic compatible stripper. However, the Easy Off in the yellow can as I had mentioned above is available everywhere and reasonable price wise. Be SURE if you decided to leave it over night that you do NOT let it dry. It becomes difficult to get off.  I actually used a  plastic Bondo spreader to scrape off the majority.   I sent my spousal unit to the mall shopping and I washed them off in the shower.  I had to purchase a couple of other panels which wound up having to be blasted with plastic media. The texture does stay in tact.

-Keith

J_Speegle

Quote from: JWH on February 08, 2019, 04:04:03 PM
Steve Z, I used Easy Off on my interior panels to strip the paint and it worked very well - meaning the paint came off but the texture of the panel remained unharmed.......

+1 Used this technique for years and have been happy with the results

Never had to leave it over night but yes it can evaporate requiring the sheeting or multiple applications. Also since this is airborne lye protect your eyes and exposed skin and spray down wind ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1967 eight barrel

I forgot to warn him to wear gloves. It burns skin too. Good catch, Jeff!

-Keith

Bob Gaines

I started to use the easy off and really like it . Yes it is important to use the the yellow can that has lye in it .I had to do multiple coats . I would apply let it do it's thing scrub with a plastic brush and water then re apply and do it all again . Depending on what is on the interior panels will determine how many applications you will have to do. I had one set that had 3 different colors (layers)and it took 4 times before it was all off but they looked nice and clean once done.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve Z

Thank you for the information. It really helps to learn from other peoples knowledge. That was on of my concerns with the Easy Off is not to hurt the original grain texture. Thank you Steve