Author Topic: 67 GT500 interior help  (Read 4892 times)

waltweems

• View Profile
67 GT500 interior help
« on: January 20, 2019, 05:56:09 AM »
The rear interior panel of my 67 GT500 has been cut for speakers.  This is the piece that has the round interior lights. The cutout is in the rounded area near the door striker.  I want to replace the panels but don't know what they are called or where to get them. Please help with advise.

Walt Weems

1967 eight barrel

Re: 67 GT500 interior help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 06:55:13 AM »
Fiberglass or metal panels? The speakers are usually mounted in the trap door ( The door all the way to the rear) or the quarter trim ( on the side of the fold down seats where the roll bar comes though.) They are both available from several sources like NPD, but they are different than the OE parts.

-Keith

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:54:20 AM »
The side panels are plastic/fiberglass and as stated the aftermarket one I'm aware of are plastic and not acceptable to me.  Maybe that has changed? 

Need to find good used NOT easy to do or there is a guy that repairs them, not sure about the trap door.  Others have use him and maybe they will post that info again.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:15:40 AM »
agree with keith buy the ones the vendors have for now, then find originals off a donor car. good luck in your search

Fiberglass or metal panels? The speakers are usually mounted in the trap door ( The door all the way to the rear) or the quarter trim ( on the side of the fold down seats where the roll bar comes though.) They are both available from several sources like NPD, but they are different than the OE parts.

-Keith
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:12:15 PM by FL SAAC TONY »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 11:59:15 AM »
  I call them "Interior rear side panels".  And, just so eveyone knows this:  The very early cars did not have removable rear seat latch covers.  Sometime in December or January Fomoco added the removable covers so the latch could be adjusted without taking the car apart.  You need to know which ones you need, early or late.

It would take time but maybe you can trade your "speakered" panels to someone who is about to get the saw out on theirs to install some speakers.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:26:45 AM »
I have a December vehicle with the removable latch covers.

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 04:45:35 AM »
Larry Zobeck 586-904-0007 did both my quarter and seat trim panels. He's done these panels for some other forum members as well. Quality work at a reasonable price - I don't get to say that very often these days.

If you need I can PM his email address.

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 07:40:52 AM »
Larry repaired the speaker holes in my quarter panels as well and did an amazing job.

jswoody

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »
Larry is well worth the money.

waltweems

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 04:29:31 AM »
Anyone know how I can tell if my interior rear side panels are original or repro?

Walt Weems

Fast Fords

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 07:33:07 AM »
There will be a part number on the back. It is hard to miss and starts C7ZB-63xxxxxxx.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
Here are the early (left) and later (right) seat latch areas that "roddster" was referring to.

Also here is the back side of a panel and close-up of the part info molded into it.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:32:05 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »
Any one care to more closer pin down the early/late break point.  Might have been an early December thing.  I'm sure Fomoco got pinched in a couple of warranty claims with the early cars.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »
Rod, That may be why it's hard to pin down a date. Even those with the metal latch cover are often damaged. It may be many were replaced under warranty by Ford for the two piece style.
                                                                                 -Keith
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:29:48 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 04:51:05 PM »
Any one care to more closer pin down the early/late break point.  Might have been an early December thing.  I'm sure Fomoco got pinched in a couple of warranty claims with the early cars.

IMHO this is one of those details that we should turn to non-Shelbys for assistance since there are allot more examples of those and in turn less of them that have been changed out for the more common version over the years ;)

Thinking out loud I wounder if the guy that repairs them could convert a later version into the earlier, more difficult to find, version. Sure would help a fair number of owners
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:52:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge