Author Topic: 1970 427 Boss 302  (Read 4869 times)

JohnSlack

• View Profile
Re: 1970 427 Boss 302
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2022, 03:38:57 PM »
To achieve this goal, partially completed SportsRoof Mustangs were shipped to Kar Kraft in Brighton, Michigan. These cars were originally destined to receive the 428 SCJ engines, but the massive 429 with its exotic, aluminum cylinder heads would not fit into the Mustang body. Kar Kraft employees modified the engine compartment by hand relocating the shock towers outward. Specifically, the upper A-arms were moved out 0.5 inch and lowered 1.0 inch. The lower A-arms were moved outboard to increase camber and the front spring rates were stiffened, along with using Boss 429-specific spindles and control arms. This alone made the Boss 429 a formidable handler in contrast to other big-block Mustangs. It also cost plenty of money. Ford lost a substantial amount of money on every Boss 429 that left Brighton.

The Boss of Bosses - 1969 Mustang Boss 429 | Hemmings
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/the-boss-of-bosses-1969-mustang-boss-429

I no longer own a BOSS 429, I've had one 1969 and was partners in two 1970s therefore some of the details escape me in instant memoryland. However if you look at the pictures you can see the details of the shock tower installation. The final picture shows the shock tower to firewall brace that was added on the outside. These pictures go along with the explanation in the answer I've quoted. These pictures are of KK1383 when I owned her. I apologize for any doubts I caused.

John

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2022, 04:33:49 PM »
Mr Slack, I apologize for not showing my work. I consulted Charlie Henry's book entitled Kar Kraft. As you know, Mr Henry was a Kar Kraft employee. On page 111, he clearly outlines the misconception that the shock towers were modified by Kar Kraft.

I also had Coralsnake University Graduate Students reach out to Mr "Special" Ed Meyers and the SAAC. Both confirmed the information in the Kar Kraft book as accurate. Ed has seen a few 429s and worked on a couple cars.

As professor emeritus, I have to often remind the graduate students, an internet search is not proper research, any clown can do a google search.

I appreciate your understanding and willingness to listen. Thanks for sharing the great photos
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 05:03:50 PM by Coralsnake »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2022, 04:57:32 PM »
Bob Perkins says, "Kar Kraft, in its old location on Merriman Road in Livonia, Michigan, might have cut and beat on the shock towers of the preproduction Boss 429 Mustangs to figure out if it could fit the engine to begin with. Job 1 (KK1215) has the same shock towers as the last '69 built."

Similar to the Cobra Jet and Boss 302 shock towers, Boss 429 shock towers were also reinforced compared to a regular small-block V-8 or six-cylinder. Ford sold complete Boss 429 shock towers left and right. Kar Kraft didn't pull the front fenders off the Boss 429 on the assembly line. The engines were installed, but the shock towers weren't widened for engine clearance. Boss 429 shock towers are OEM and have Ford part numbers, D0ZZ-16055-B for the left side and D0ZZ-16054-C for the right.

What's Up With Boss 429's? - Classic Muscle Car - Mustang Monthly Magazine
https://www.motortrend.com/news/mump-0709-boss-429-mustangs/
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2022, 05:12:44 PM »
Bob Perkins says, "Kar Kraft, in its old location on Merriman Road in Livonia, Michigan, might have cut and beat on the shock towers of the preproduction Boss 429 Mustangs to figure out if it could fit the engine to begin with. Job 1 (KK1215) has the same shock towers as the last '69 built."

Similar to the Cobra Jet and Boss 302 shock towers, Boss 429 shock towers were also reinforced compared to a regular small-block V-8 or six-cylinder. Ford sold complete Boss 429 shock towers left and right. Kar Kraft didn't pull the front fenders off the Boss 429 on the assembly line. The engines were installed, but the shock towers weren't widened for engine clearance. Boss 429 shock towers are OEM and have Ford part numbers, D0ZZ-16055-B for the left side and D0ZZ-16054-C for the right.

What's Up With Boss 429's? - Classic Muscle Car - Mustang Monthly Magazine
https://www.motortrend.com/news/mump-0709-boss-429-mustangs/

Correct and for the 1969 cars the part numbers were C9ZZ-16054-B (except BOSS 429) and C9ZZ-16054-C (BOSS 429) for the passenger side part that goes from the radiator support to the firewall including shock towers. In addition to C9ZZ-16055-B (except BOSS 429) and C9ZZ-16055-C (BOSS 429) for the Driver side part that goes from the radiator support to the firewall including shock towers. Reference the 1970 MPC.

If nothing else this thread has put a little life in the least used section of this website, 1969-1970 Boss (should be BOSS) 302/429.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2022, 05:14:26 PM »
Excellent use of the quote feature Mr Slack. You have preserved the integrity of the thread.

👍

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2022, 05:35:04 PM »
Mr Slack, I apologize for not showing my work. I consulted Charlie Henry's book entitled Kar Kraft. As you know, Mr Henry was a Kar Kraft employee. On page 111, he clearly outlines the misconception that the shock towers were modified by Kar Kraft.

I also had Coralsnake University Graduate Students reach out to Mr "Special" Ed Meyers and the SAAC. Both confirmed the information in the Kar Kraft book as accurate. Ed has seen a few 429s and worked on a couple cars.

As professor emeritus, I have to often remind the graduate students, an internet search is not proper research, any clown can do a google search.

I appreciate your understanding and willingness to listen. Thanks for sharing the great photos

No apology necessary, it is I who was operating on the ages old misinformation outlined and corrected on page 111, I just went back and read that page. It seems that way back when I owned KK1383 I had learned a lesson that was incorrect. it is my belief that we all continued on with that particular misinformation due to the bubbling in a lot of the sheet metal around the apron areas both front and rear that was observed in used BOSS 429 Mustangs in the mid eighties to early nineties. This bubbling lead us to believe that the aprons were welded at Kar Kraft. Which as Charlie Henry points out would be an extremely inefficient procedure. My pictures will remain up as they are still a good reference of original BOSS 429 shock towers.

A funny story regarding KK1383, It was really a beautiful Raven Black "S" engine car, the paint was gorgeous and I had bought the car from Alan Root. The reason the car was taken apart to be painted was the paint was ruined when Alan's cat threw up all over one area.

The sad story of KK1383 was that it was my dream car. I loved owning that car and ultimately sold it because at that time I was stuck in the swan song of the quagmire of "MORE" syndrome, I continued to add cars to my collection of cars and should have been happy to have what I had.....But I wanted MORE, cars, parts, engines and stuff. I traded that car to a friend of mine for an "R" code 428 Drag Pack car, and a bucket of cash. The IRS was helping me deal with "MORE" syndrome and the bucket of cash was their way of forcing me to prioritize the ever growing collection of stuff. within a year I had shedded everything that I had acquired. If left to my own I'd still be chasing the more...lucky for me I have a wife that keeps me from that.

John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 05:38:15 PM by JohnSlack »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2022, 06:08:14 PM »
No worries we have all the too much stuff problems.

I never did care for the habits of cats! 😉

I am glad I could help. How would you like to come across those service parts? A pair of NOS Boss 429 frame assemblies...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 06:13:37 PM by Coralsnake »

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2022, 06:18:28 PM »
No worries we have all the too much stuff problems.

I never did care for the habits of cats! 😉

I am glad I could help. How would you like to come across those service parts? A pair of NOS Boss 429 frame assemblies...

Over the years I had a driver's side frame assembly...that I didn't need, but hey I acquired it! I had an NOS 1969 BOSS 429 Hood that I acquired and didn't need. So now I try to find people who need parts when I come across items that are that rare. Karma is good, I've got what I need except for one 1969 grill support for my 1969 car.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2022, 07:15:30 PM »
I agree finding stuff (and information) is the best part

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2022, 07:57:23 PM »
I agree finding stuff (and information) is the best part

The only thing that I was having trouble saying No! to was rare and exotic intake manifolds for the BOSS 302. I don't have that problem anymore because I have everything I want to run. Now I'm just building the noisy parts.

John

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2022, 09:14:44 PM »
Rare speed parts alone are aesthetically pleasing never mind their functionality. I fully understand you.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2024, 12:39:45 AM »
Here is some more clear pictures My Boss 302 with 427 sideoiler stroked to 482ci  Just about finished.
Have you finished your car? Any new pictures you care to share?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2024, 12:51:41 PM »
The big change to the chassis came in 1967 when they moved the towers far enough to hold the FE.
Holman Moody came up with this fix for the 65 A/FX cars to fit the cammer. Eliminated the top of the tower and made a leaf spring that went between the lower control arm and chassis
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 12:55:52 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless