News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Long Term Owners contacted through Registry by "Flippers"?

Started by BGlover67, January 30, 2019, 12:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Quote from: BGlover67 on January 30, 2019, 12:01:53 AM
A friend of mine who, has been a Shelby Owner of the same car for over 40 years, recently confided in me that he has been contacted multiple times by different Shelby dealers asking if he would like to sell his car.  Each time the reseller found his name and address through the registry.  The last time being quite recent, he lied about his status in business and made it appear that he was just an enthusiast who was looking for a Shelby like his "all his life".  How often do you think this happens?  Has anyone else had this experience?  The registry is a wonderful tool, but with great power comes great responsibility... ::)

Brian,

It happens more than you would think, here, at shows, on forums such as this, and within all collector circles. Some dealers troll around thinking they are all that, drawing in the naive, or those new to the hobby,  they attempt to get what they want, those peoples money, thinking they are above it all. Yet in the long run, it is their greed, ego, or both that leads to their downfall. Somewhere along the line, everyone has to decide whether they are going to have integrity, or not. Those that do, prosper without having to take advantage of others. Those that don't, no matter how sure of themselves they are, will find themselves on the wrong side.

Instead of rambling on further, I'll just lay it out as simple as possible:

Greed makes seemingly good people do bad things.

I'll leave it at that.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

gt350shelb

since the owners are not the issue here  maybe we need a list of those who are calling ....
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

roddster

Well, this thread was about flippers using the registry to locate current owners, I will say that, at more than a couple of car shows I have been approached with some way low-ball guestimate of the car's value.  Like I'm going to go "gee, if I could get that much, I'll sell it right now"!

Bigfoot

Quote from: gt350shelb on January 31, 2019, 08:22:02 AM
since the owners are not the issue here  maybe we need a list of those who are calling ....

We do
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

if any of the "flippers" want to buy "the most expensive Shelby ever sold" Look up the highest price ever for a  Shelby, add $100,000 and I'll sell you mine
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Don Johnston

If I get repeated calls, emails and letters concerning the sale of my Shelby when I do not want to sell it, I will refer them to B-J auctions where they can play in their sandbox.  8)

owenkelley

I got a call several years back from a gentleman who apparently got my name out of the Registry. He said he was looking for a car exactly like mine and was wondering if I was interested in selling it. He was nice and was talking prices that were in the line with what the market was at the time, but I wasn't interested in selling.

Most local car shows want you to put your name on the car for judging purposes, so I always would put my wife's name on as well. Then one day she got a phone call from somebody who saw her at the show and got her name off the car and called her to see if she ever messed around on her husband, because if so he was interested. As far as I know that's the only time she heard from him.........

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

agree with everyone, getting that call from flipper when you just sat down to have dinner.

then that annoying squeal on the other side of the phone...painful
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert