News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

HELP...want to mount racing wheels and tires to my '65 GT350

Started by loflyer47, February 19, 2019, 05:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dsten

The Goodyear's on front are 6.-15. On 7x15 torqe thrust d ,  I do not know ifthey will
Clear with out some help , maybe .depends on how low car is ,
They are about 1600 out the door fora set.  I would borrow a set to check for fitment.
Where are you located?
Darek

loflyer47

Quote from: pmustang on February 20, 2019, 02:39:53 PM
I love your style. Living the dream
...I'll take that as a compliment   :)  and thanks...
...  I'd like to shake the car down at the National event in JULY at the beaver creek track..See what it'll do..... should be loads of fun.. :) And my other track car is....
..A 2002 Ferrari 360GT Ferrari built racecar I track on occasion...
always fun... (I'm trying to attach a pic, but don't know to do that..LOL)

CSX 4133

The least expensive route would be the OEM steelies with the Avon's as was previously suggested, and you shouldn't have any fitment issues. You won't find a Hoosier or Goodyear race tire that will fit without molesting your fenders,etc.  Do you know your current backspacing on your stock wheels?
You can order Torq Thrusts in 15x6" and up, which would also work with the Avon's. The business I've linked below handles various wheels and can help you with a correct fitment on Torq Thrust and other wheels.

http://vintagewheelsus.com

loflyer47

Quote from: Dsten on February 20, 2019, 02:45:53 PM
The Goodyear's on front are 6.-15. On 7x15 torqe thrust d ,  I do not know ifthey will
Clear with out some help , maybe .depends on how low car is ,
They are about 1600 out the door fora set.  I would borrow a set to check for fitment.
Where are you located?
Darek
............. LOCATED IN Allentown pa......just want to make sure I buy the correct
RACING Wheel/Tire package in the beginning..that way   ...I just take ofF the street wheel tire/package FROM THE CAR and mount the race wheel and tire package...and "I'M OFF TO THE RACES"  SO TO SPEAK..
    I'm sure I"m no the first to do this with their car...

loflyer47

Quote from: CSX 4133 on February 20, 2019, 03:59:54 PM

The least expensive route would be the OEM steelies with the Avon's as was previously suggested, and you shouldn't have any fitment issues. You won't find a Hoosier or Goodyear race tire that will fit without molesting your fenders,etc.  Do you know your current backspacing on your stock wheels?
You can order Torq Thrusts in 15x6" and up, which would also work with the Avon's. The business I've linked below handles various wheels and can help you with a correct fitment on Torq Thrust and other wheels.

http://vintagewheelsus.com

....  Thanks. Steve... I'll give them a call..  I just don't want to be ruining fenders..or blowing up tires on the track.. by not getting it right the first time..

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

loflyer47

Quote from: Bigfoot on February 20, 2019, 06:32:31 PM
Do you ever track with any of the groups at WGI?
[/quote
    I driven quite a few tracks in my life but thinking no to that one...as I've never heard of "WGI". What track is that?

Cobrask8

Len,

WGI is Watkins Glen!

(and that Ferrari killed my back! while instructing! Let's take out your GT next time!)

OR1

The Avons are the way to go. We're running the CR6ZZ 205/70R 15s on 5S477. They look correct with essentially the same diameter and profile as the original Blue Dots. These tires make the car much more satisfying and predictable to drive. You can push the car to a higher level and still feel confident. These tires aren't cheap, but you putting them on a pretty valuable car. We fabbed copies of the original K-H steel wheels with 6" rims. 4" backspace. Looks are great and no clearance issues.

OR1

kram350

6.00-15 goodyears will suck the stock front fender lip in, rub the rear springs and fender lip at speed (unless you have a panard rod). You might get away with the 5.50-15's?  The height on each are around 24", so think about your rear gear ratio as you will be cutting down on your top end mph, but you will accelerate better. 

madeulook

I built a tribute R Model - nat's ass on the money - and did all the wheel openings. If you are just using these wheels and tires for the event, spending 2 grand is nuts. Get a set of Hoosier Street TD's. Stick like glue, available used in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin for $50 a corner. Torque thrust D's are $175 each.  I drive to the events on this set up, open track the car, clean her up, and stick it in the Popular vote - 1st place Mid Ohio, 2nd place Road America and Indy.

Got questions - drop me a PM

John
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

68GT350roadracer

You will probably get a better answer posting this in replicas and tributes. I know you are wanting the wheel width and back spacing measurements before you order your wheels, along with which tire will clear. Sorry I do not have the answer for 65-66s.  Questions like this is why I would like to see a new category. For day 2, modified and race cars. So you do not have to search all over different categories for question on modified cars. Just like the guys doing stock stuff can just go to the category for their year car.
You might see if you have wheel shop in your area that can mount different widths and backspacing on your car. Then order the torque thrust in that size and backspacing.
Good luck hope to see you at SAAC 44.

loflyer47

Quote from: 68GT350roadracer on March 07, 2019, 10:12:26 AM
You will probably get a better answer posting this in replicas and tributes. I know you are wanting the wheel width and back spacing measurements before you order your wheels, along with which tire will clear. Sorry I do not have the answer for 65-66s.  Questions like this is why I would like to see a new category. For day 2, modified and race cars. So you do not have to search all over different categories for question on modified cars. Just like the guys doing stock stuff can just go to the category for their year car.
You might see if you have wheel shop in your area that can mount different widths and backspacing on your car. Then order the torque thrust in that size and backspacing.
Good luck hope to see you at SAAC 44.

.....  thanks ROADRACER....that's exactly what I'm looking for ...someone to tell me EXACTLY WHAT IT IS that I need to buy (exact wheel sizes and tire sizes) without modifying my car/bodywork..at all....just bolt on the new torq thrust wheels and tires set...and hit the track!!   thanks...and hoping to see you on the track in Pittsburgh..   And if someone already has this answer to my issue...please advise..    ;D