News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

HELP...want to mount racing wheels and tires to my '65 GT350

Started by loflyer47, February 19, 2019, 05:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zray

Aside from having that great vintage tread design, sticking like your Shelby was was on rails, etc. , has it been pointed out  the Avon CR6ZZ tires are street legal ?  You can leave them on full time and have a blast, even going around the block.

Z

mlplunkett

I'm looking at the Torq Thrust D, which looks like the most accurate replica of the original wheels used, and the offset goes to from 3.75 to 4.5 when you move from the 7" width to the 8" width. Has anybody tried them with a 245 tire width? The extra offset should help to prevent rubbing on the fender but I'm wondering if it will cause problems with rubbing on the leaf spring or inner fender.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

gt350bp

I run 245-60 x 15 on 7" Torque Thrust D's with no issues. I also had 255-60 x 15 Comp TA R1's for track use with only a slight rub under full jounce. I do have my wheel openings rolled and only get the rub with over 1/2 tank of fuel in the R-Model fuel tank.

Don
gt350bp

mlplunkett

Quote from: gt350bp on November 14, 2022, 01:23:50 PM
I run 245-60 x 15 on 7" Torque Thrust D's with no issues. I also had 255-60 x 15 Comp TA R1's for track use with only a slight rub under full jounce. I do have my wheel openings rolled and only get the rub with over 1/2 tank of fuel in the R-Model fuel tank.

Don
gt350bp

Is the rub always on the outer fender? No issue on the inside of the tire/wheel?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

gt350bp

No issues on the inside, as I have 1 1/4" clearance from the tire to the spring with the 245-60 x 15 wheels. I assume you are using the inboard rear end snubbers and have removed the factory Mustang snubber sheet metal.

I do not like running the track tires on the street as they pick up too much debris and sandblast the body here in Florida. I like the Comp TA's just fine on the street, as sudden downpours are common and I'm glad I have some tread. I've put over 16,000 miles on my replica and try to drive it as much as possible this time of year since the temperatures have moderated. It is no fun in 95-degree Florida summer weather unless you enjoy a moving sauna. My first long trip to Charlotte from Daytona, my right tennis shoe started to melt on the floor pan, so they do get very hot from the exhaust system under your feet.

Good luck and have fun.

Don
gt350bp

pmustang

I fit a ton of these wheels to 65-68 Fastbacks

I only ever fit 15x7 Torque thrusts with 3.76 backspace and 215/60-15F and 225/60/15
Rear tires

I used to stock 235/60/15s and 15x8 torque thrusts and sold them off due to clearance issues

I don't push the envelope. I just need things to fit when offering them to a customer.

These are the sizes I have found always fit when
The cars suspension is in good shape and quarters are stock. No banging, no rubbing, no issues