News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

HELP...want to mount racing wheels and tires to my '65 GT350

Started by loflyer47, February 19, 2019, 05:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loflyer47

....HELP !!!!!    I have an original stock street '65 GT 350 that I'd like to track at the national in PITTSBURGH THIS FALL.  WANT TO MOUNT PERIOD CORRECT Torq Thrust wheels and race tires on the car for the track event...What are the vintage guys running on their "R" cars?  And what is recommended for my car (Being a street...NOT modified car)...Front and rear wheel specs and what tire specs.
    Your thoughts...  and also from the experts here..   :)
  THANKS...

Rickmustang

1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

6s1139

no expert - on my 65 track car  I run 225/60R15 Yokohama A032R's

These are not period correct obviously (and although they are "street legal" I would not recommend for street use as they tend to flick up loose stones etc). The choice of tyres in 60R15 is not very wide unfortunately, on my Shelby I run BFG TA's (which are also not period correct, but convenient)

CSX 4133

A very good tire that looks period correct, especially for a stock GT350 would be the Avon CR6ZZ race tire. They hold up well, give excellent feedback and wear extremely well. I don't know where you are located but some sources are Roger Krauss (West Coast), Bob Woodman (South Carolina)  and SASCOSports (Virginia). Avon will have the best range of appropriate sizes to match your wheel offset without getting into your fenders.
Most Vintage racers (SVRA) are using the Goodyear Bluestreak Sports Car Specials. The Avon would be a better option for your particular case.

6s1640

Quote from: loflyer47 on February 19, 2019, 05:05:14 PM
....HELP !!!!!    I have an original stock street '65 GT 350 that I'd like to track at the national in PITTSBURGH THIS FALL.  WANT TO MOUNT PERIOD CORRECT Torq Thrust wheels and race tires on the car for the track event...What are the vintage guys running on their "R" cars?  And what is recommended for my car (Being a street...NOT modified car)...Front and rear wheel specs and what tire specs.
    Your thoughts...  and also from the experts here..   :)
  THANKS...

Hi Loflyier47,

If you want the vintage look, you can get vintage Goodyear Racing Tires.  See below add.  However, you might remember the original "R" cars had the rear wheel well openings cut larger and the front fenders rolled for clearance.  Are you prepared to perform the same modification for that "R" look, that period correct look?  There are several Torque Thrust wheels out there to choose from.  Watch the back spacing too.  The tire/wheels will also need clear the control arms, ball joints and inner fenders.

Or are you looking for something that will clear the stock wheel well and handle well on the track.  I expect this second approach will be less obstructive to your stock car.  The recommendations above then are fine.

Best of luck

Cory

zray

Quote from: Rickmustang on February 19, 2019, 06:28:21 PM
Get Avon tires is my advice.

^^^^^^^^ +1.  This
I've put them on a couple of Shelby's and K codes. I'll never go back to an ordinary tire.

Avon CR6ZZ tires will transform a stock 65/66 GT350.  My advice is to leave them on full time to get the most out of your car. There are a couple of USA distributors, you can locate them via google.

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/historic/cr6zz

Z

Cobrask8

Which wheel rim width and offset?

Asking for a 65 350 owner for SAAC-44

Dsten

Goodyear's on 7x15 front 8 x15 rear , fenders will need much massaging.

CSX 4133

Quote from: Dsten on February 20, 2019, 09:10:41 AM
Goodyear's on 7x15 front 8 x15 rear , fenders will need much massaging.

.... and a fair amount of negative wedge on the front.   8)

CSX 4133

Another possible tire option would the Toyo Proxes R1R , they have several in 15", a 195/55-15 might work.

zray

Quote from: Cobrask8 on February 20, 2019, 07:14:58 AM
Which wheel rim width and offset?

Asking for a 65 350 owner for SAAC-44

I put my last Avon set on stock Ford 6" steel wheels with 3 7/8" backspacing, but would work just fine on typical 7x15" wheels as well  :

like this:

last photo was my inspiration

Z

loflyer47

hey   me again...  thanks for all the help but thinking I may have asked the wrong question...
   my car is a stock 1965 gt350   #5S0447  unmolested.
with the original street wheels and tires.
   what I want to do is.. NOT alter the car at all...body wise... no fender work etc.

that being said...I want to mount 4 original type...period correct (and they can be new or replicas.)  torq Thrust racing style wheels....exactly which wheels do I need to buy?  front sizes..and rear sizes  that will mount on my hubs and not interfere with the wheel wells, fenders, etc.
  does any one know which wheels I need to buy? (for the front and rear?
next exactly what Racing tires (that are period correct (such as the goodyear BLUESTREAK racing tires) ..WHAT EXACT SIZES  THAT I NEED TO BUY...BOTH FRONT AND REAR..
... THEY WILL BE ON THE CAR FOR RACE TRACK ONLY!!!  NOT FOR EVERYDAY DRIVING.. ( I HAVE THOSE ON THE CAR NOW..)
...    WHAT MODEL WHEELS AND TIRES ...THAT I CNA BUY AKE TEM TO MY TIRE GUY  HAE HIM PUT THE TIRS  ON THE WHEELS ..MONUT THE WHEELS  AND I'm READY TO GO...   WITH NO ISSUES!!!

I HOPE THIS MADE BETTER SENSE AS TO WHAT i''M WANTING HERE..   LOL
THANKS IN ADVANCE   LEN
  AND I DO APPRECIATE ALLTHE HELP HERE..