News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hood and trunk black paint

Started by acman63, November 19, 2019, 03:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: J_Speegle on November 20, 2019, 03:40:36 PM
A few examples of the bottom of the hood as requested. Lot less of them since so many have been painted over or rattle canned black over the years. Again tried to stay with white for contrast purposes

On this one (blue car) it shows some overspray that gained access to the bottom surface through the hood scoop openings

And others

Basically new car

Hope these help

That bottom pic is Terry Cristiafac's car. Tell me again what that coat hanger wired thing looped over the heater hose is for? I forgot that?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 21, 2019, 01:02:50 PM

That bottom pic is Terry Cristiafac's car. Tell me again what that coat hanger wired thing looped over the heater hose is for? I forgot that?
It is vacuum tube that is part of the thermactor system.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 21, 2019, 01:32:55 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 21, 2019, 01:02:50 PM

It is vacuum tube that is part of the thermactor system.

Few! I don't need to worry about one then.  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bossbill

This pic:

would indicate the front latch was installed after the hood was painted.
And that some of the color overspray should or could be seen on the metal catch portion fiberglassed into the hood by Plaza.

In this pic:

it appears the latch catch is painted, but I don't think it was on there when SAI originally painted the lid. Probably some corrosion on the catch that makes it look white.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bossbill on November 21, 2019, 05:53:54 PM
In this pic:

it appears the latch catch is painted, but I don't think it was on there when SAI originally painted the lid. Probably some corrosion on the catch that makes it look white.

Agree the latch was not on the trunk when painted - nor was the weatherstrip. What your seeing isn't white paint
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bossbill

Corrosion would explain the white-ish color on the catch.

Just trying to keep all of this straight prior to actually painting the car. Hopefully no more "life experiences" keep it from being painted this time!
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

Also keep in mind that there is a range of overspray coverage that is normally seen. For instance the white hood in the picture has a heavy amount of overspray compared to many and would be towards (not all of the way) the outside edge of the range. There is a lot of leeway that you have when trying to be historical correct in this instance. The main thing is to have a reasonable amount of overspray on the bottom based on how they were painted . For instance I envision them flat on a TV like tray stand when painted . I have not seen any wire hanging witness marks like seen on some regular Mustang hoods. The lacquer paint SA used did not take long to dry. While spraying the edges you are always are going to get overspray on the bottom side . If you want to be historical correct you will have a noticeable overspray on the bottom side of the hood and trunk lid. For those that think it is too messy and don't care about historical correctness in this instance then it is your car do as you want. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

So from what I am gathering here, hood, anywhere tasteful, and the trunk, near the latch. OK, so are they also placed on the scoups? Where just inside the openings somewhere? I remember seeing them on my first Shelby and not paying any attention as to what they were and where they were. At 19 I may have thought they were something like an old "crane cams" sticker placed by the original owner.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

Quote from: 67 GT350 on August 09, 2020, 08:09:16 AM
So from what I am gathering here, hood, anywhere tasteful, and the trunk, near the latch. OK, so are they also placed on the scoups? Where just inside the openings somewhere? I remember seeing them on my first Shelby and not paying any attention as to what they were and where they were. At 19 I may have thought they were something like an old "crane cams" sticker placed by the original owner.

I never heard mention of the scoops having the stickers.

I think that many got taken off when the underside of the hoods got repainted black. You need to consider how bad the over spray was in some cases and I wouldn't be surprised if some dealers repainted the black because of new owner complaints about it?

I think that the black essentially just washed off of the bottom because there was no primer used of the fiberglass underneath.

Professor Gaines is correct in that historically it should b a mess under there with the over spray, and disappearing black and painted over stickers. I can't in my heart do that or even conceive of concocting such a mess. Mine is just how it "should" have been even though not correct historically.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on August 09, 2020, 08:09:16 AM
I have not come across any stickers inside the side scoops. I have not heard of any others finding them there ether.Maybe placed on the backside but most likely taken off if they were because of missing evidence of any there.