News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 PlazaGlas stickers

Started by Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC, February 22, 2019, 05:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC

I "rescued " a original cracked hood from a 67 a few years ago. Walked my dog past the house where it literally rusted into the ground almost every day. Owner would not even entertain an offer. One day I'm driving by in my Mini Cooper and the hood is on the curb, next to the garbage can and the garbage truck is a block away. Grabbed it and walked it back to my house. Car disappeared a few days later. No paint on the underside.

M.

Joebantelman

No paint under the sticker or the entire hood as well?

George Schalk

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2019, 07:38:34 AM
Quote from: Fast Fords on February 25, 2019, 08:55:02 PM
Here are a few pictures of my original Plaza Fiberglass stickers on my '67.

I'd love to know if there is black paint under those stickers or if they were taped off? ;)
The fiberglass hoods and trunk lids would have arrived to Shelby American with the black primer already applied with the PlazaGlas decals already applied as well, which means black primer is under the decals.  SA would not have taken the time to remove or tape the decals before painting the body color on the fiberglass components.  This is why it is typical to see an original car with body color overspray on the decals.

George Schalk

Quote from: Joebantelman on February 26, 2019, 09:29:53 AM
On the all fiberglass hoods and deck lids, it is typical to see black paint/primer with the drift of body color overspray on the underside including body color overspray on the PlazaGlas decals. They were by no means painted for show purposes and were not made to look perfect.  SA painting techniques were by no means state of the art.  Their technique was to Spray a quick color on and send it out the door.

roddster

Quote from: George Schalk on February 26, 2019, 09:37:16 AM
Quote from: Joebantelman on February 26, 2019, 09:29:53 AM
On the all fiberglass hoods and deck lids, it is typical to see black paint/primer with the drift of body color overspray on the underside including body color overspray on the PlazaGlas decals. They were by no means painted for show purposes and were not made to look perfect.  SA painting techniques were by no means state of the art.  Their technique was to Spray a quick color on and send it out the door.
We need to remember this.

Bob Gaines

I'd love to know if there is black paint under those stickers or if they were taped off? ;)
Please review reply #37 and #39 which already answered your question.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 26, 2019, 01:42:45 PM

Please review reply #37 and #39 which already answered your question.

The reason that I asked was that the flat black paint to me appears to be much more then over spray.

I thought I had read here previously that the fiberglass hoods and decks were never finished at all underneath and just exhibited unfinished fiberglass which generally appeared green?

I thought that I had remembered some current 67 owners asking about hoods being painted flat black since theirs was and thought it to be original, so I thought that I would ask?

I can say that on my car, on what I believe to be the original hood, the underside was as previously described as unfinished green fiberglass and that when I stripped the hood down for repaint, I can testify 100% accurately that there is no way the primer could be described as black. It was no question dark grey.

I didn't see on mine, on either the trunk lid or deck lid, any evidence of the stickers.

The black in that picture just seemed so much more then just over spray to me but of course it's not a picture of the entire underside of the hood.

Just an explanation for my previous post.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 26, 2019, 03:37:09 PM

The reason that I asked was that the flat black paint to me appears to be much more then over spray.

I thought I had read here previously that the fiberglass hoods and decks were never finished at all underneath and just exhibited unfinished fiberglass which generally appeared green?

I thought that I had remembered some current 67 owners asking about hoods being painted flat black since theirs was and thought it to be original, so I thought that I would ask?

I can say that on my car, on what I believe to be the original hood, the underside was as previously described as unfinished green fiberglass and that when I stripped the hood down for repaint, I can testify 100% accurately that there is no way the primer could be described as black. It was no question dark grey.

I didn't see on mine, on either the trunk lid or deck lid, any evidence of the stickers.

The black in that picture just seemed so much more then just over spray to me but of course it's not a picture of the entire underside of the hood.

Just an explanation for my previous post.

Saw this too on a original louvered hood
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

George Schalk

One thing to keep in mind is that the fiberglass was likely primed with batch paint so the gray-black scale may vary.  The over spray of the body color may give the primer a different tone in appearance.  From what I have seen, I would lean more toward a dark charcoal gray color (almost black) primer. 

I would guess there were hoods and deck lids that made it out of PlazaGlas without any primer or decals at times.  Anything is possible. 

I'm sure others have input on the actual primer color used.

dmg67

rbarkley

1967 eight barrel

Should we split the detail information from the reservations to it's own thread?

goranfor

I am in for 4.

Please notify when it may be / is available.

// Göran

tgilliam

I would be looking to purchase four(4) of the Plaza stcickers.
Please notify me when a new supply is available. Thanks

Tom Gilliam

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI