Author Topic: Late Style 289 Weber intake NOS  (Read 1837 times)

wcampbell

• View Profile
Late Style 289 Weber intake NOS
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:28:00 AM »
All,

Deciding to sell a 48 IDA weber intake I bought for one of my projects back in the early 2000s. It is the "late" style intake where the carbs run parallel rather than the earlier "opposed" type. COBRA open letter manifold only. When I purchased it back in the day I was told by the COBRA owner I bought it from that it was NOS - I'm not an expert so I'm not entirely sure how to tell. Do your research...Asking $1200

Wayne
wandccampbell@hotmail.com

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: Late Style 289 Weber intake NOS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »
   Wayne,
        It is a Blue Thunder reproduction as that is the way the underside is machined on the manifolds they produce. The manifolds Ford and Shelby produced "in the day" were machined differently where the end seals are. BTW they are done at the same foundry ( Buddy Barr) that the originals were done at. There is evidence of rubber hoses having been on the water outlets and the manifold appears to be port matched a bit from your pictures. If you did this during your ownership it's possible it was new. If this is how you got it then it was used.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »
Actually these manifolds were manufactured by Offenhauser Equipment Co., there should be a very small “OE Co” stamp on the bottom. The machining process is also consistent with the processes used in period. There are also casting characteristics that are consistent with known originals in my possession. I am not aware of Blue Thunder reproducing this particular type of manifold, they did reproduce the early “opposed” style manifold.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:37:26 AM by CSX2259 »

wcampbell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
Thanks guys...okay - all good information! Didn't realize Blue Thunder made these! I bought it from a guy with a CSX22xx serial out of Colorado back in the early 2000s who passed the info to me. I have never installed or used it.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »
Look for the “O E CO” stamping.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »
Thanks guys...okay - all good information! Didn't realize Blue Thunder made these! I bought it from a guy with a CSX22xx serial out of Colorado back in the early 2000s who passed the info to me. I have never installed or used it.

The "parallel" COBRA lettered intake drawing was dated October 2, 1963 but for some reason intakes did not seem to get to the Shelby race shop until maybe March 1964. 

The H-M site offers this style advertised as made by Blue Thunder®.

http://www.holmanmoody.com/Intakes1.html

There are so many of this style intake sold by Ford, Shelby, and Dean Moon over the counter 1964-67ish it seems odd that there is a market for new made copies.  There were a bunch of different in some way 4-2V intakes for the Weber two choke type downdraft carburetors between 1963 and 1970. This isn’t all the variants, just some interesting ones.

COBRA lettered  “opposed” array with at least two different as cast port sizes for the cylinder heads

COBRA lettered “parallel” (lots of systems and bare intakes sold)

FAV (Ford Advanced Vehicles) lettered “parallel” in magnesium for Ford GT40s

SHELBY lettered “parallel”

COUGAR lettered “parallel”

Intakes for use with cylinder heads that had not been milled.

Intakes milled to fit when milled cylinder heads were to be used.

Reproductions of the COBRA “opposed” type intake were offered in mid 1982 magazine advertisements as part of new made aftermarket induction systems.  A significant percentage of “opposed” type intakes I see offered for sale has been the 1982 and later copies.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:00:59 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

wcampbell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
Dan,

Thanks for your valuable input as always! I noticed HM shows they are out of stock with no price listed; I want to be fair to an interested buyer. Ballpark price with all we know now? I'm prepared to revise my pricing to be inline with "reasonable" on the forum.

Wayne

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 04:40:56 PM »
Dan,

Thanks for your valuable input as always! I noticed HM shows they are out of stock with no price listed; I want to be fair to an interested buyer. Ballpark price with all we know now? I'm prepared to revise my pricing to be inline with "reasonable" on the forum.

Wayne

Wayne,
You are welcome. I try to stay out of pricing other people's parts.
Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.