Author Topic: Question 1966 GT-350 Side Scoop rivets  (Read 9566 times)

rraceme

• View Profile
Question 1966 GT-350 Side Scoop rivets
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:18:44 PM »
Hopefully someone can identify this pictured rivet. After looking for a GT-350 for 20 years finally able to purchase 6S2227 a few weeks ago from the previous owner since 1972.  As I've been assessing the car- I noticed the rivets used  to hold the side scoops are unlike what i have seen on real GT-350's in the past. Typically you see the standard aluminum rivet. I've not started disassembly yet so i don't know the configuration on the inside behind fiberglass panel. The attached picture displays the dark blackish colored rivet. It has an extended head on it. The previous owner of 47 years stated this is the way he received the car. I have a good eye and does not seem to ever been wrecked. Both side scoops have the same rivet setup on both sides, top and bottom. Can anyone identify? Thank you Fred

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:55:53 AM by rraceme »
SFM 6S2227

mustang7red

• View Profile
Re: Question 1966 GT-350 Side Scoop rivets
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:15:01 AM »
its hard to tell 100% from the picture but it looks like a standard pop rivet, installed from the inside, with a pop rivet washer on the outside of the scoop just as it should be on that late of a car. I think it still has the head of the pop rivet shaft still in the rivet so it looks like  a strange rivet that was installed from the outside.   john brown

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:54:23 AM »
its hard to tell 100% from the picture but it looks like a standard pop rivet, installed from the inside, with a pop rivet washer on the outside of the scoop just as it should be on that late of a car. I think it still has the head of the pop rivet shaft still in the rivet so it looks like  a strange rivet that was installed from the outside.   john brown
+1 .Just a little dirty which may make you think it is a different material then aluminum.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »
   The addition of the washer ( I have seen on other higher number cars) deforms the head a little differently. IMHO those are original.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 10:34:02 AM »
Hopefully someone can identify this pictured rivet. After looking for a GT-350 for 20 years finally able to purchase 6S2227 a few weeks ago from the previous owner since 1972.  As I've been assessing the car- I noticed the rivets used  to hold the side scoops are unlike what i have seen on real GT-350's in the past. Typically you see the standard aluminum rivet. I've not started disassembly yet so i don't know the configuration on the inside behind fiberglass panel. The attached picture displays the dark blackish colored rivet. It has an extended head on it. The previous owner of 47 years stated this is the way he received the car. I have a good eye and does not seem to ever been wrecked. Both side scoops have the same rivet setup on both sides, top and bottom. Can anyone identify? Thank you Fred

Congratulations on finding a car!

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but based on all of the later cars that I have observed, they are original.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »
    Brant ,
        The ones I've seen had washers on the front two rivets only not the back one.
     Randy

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »
    Brant ,
     Randy

Based on the later cars that I have observed, this style of fastener is unique to the very late cars. It appears to be something different from the standard pop-rivet used on the majority of '66s.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »
    Brant ,
     Randy

+1
6S2020's had washers on top and bottom front rivets only.

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 01:40:41 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I've attached another picture from the LH side showing the upper side scoop rivets. It used the same style rivet all around. I guess the reason I want to know, once I start my restoration I desire to use the same rivet. Notice in the picture the hose adapter not riveted to the inside of inner quarter rather pushed through the outside (prior scoop install) and riveted in. Never seen that either! My car currently in un-restored condition and should be equipped as when manufactured.  I plan to swap the hose adapter to the inside during restoration because I don't like the way this looks. Once I remove the interior I will post a picture of inside rivet hardware too.  maybe because my car was one the last of 150 built they did something different? Did I read something about experimenting with glue on side scoops? if someone has seen these rivets before or can source them --let me know. Thank you for the valuable information- Fred
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:16:50 PM by rraceme »
SFM 6S2227

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
   Fred,
      It could be as simple as a "personell  change". A different worker "might" have done it "his'' way LOL. I would change it too if mine were that way.
   Randy

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »
...................... Notice in the picture the hose adapter not riveted to the inside of wheel house rather pushed through the outside (prior scoop install) and riveted in. Never seen that either!

Yes and so should the duct in the rear wheel well be installed from the outside of the car rather than from the inside like earlier cars. After all the cars built the other way the change may have been changed for some unknown reason - easier or change of worker assigned to that task

You will see and read allot of things. Not all will be correct and stories told for decades get retold and retold on the web.

if someone has seen these rivets before or can source them --let me know. .....

May have been a change in tool or rivet not certain - just a possibility IMHO

Here are some examples of what appears to be the change. Looks like the two changes (direction the ducts installed) and the rivet change may have taken place at or around the same time. Haven't gone through all my pictures and data to graph out the findings and post a survey finding as I've done with other details

Earlier

Later
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
J-Speegle, Yes you are correct the Hose adapter which exits the wheel housing is installed backwards too. Very ugly. I will over photo document  both hose adapter mount points and during the restoration mount to my taste which would be reversed. If the next owner wants to reverse down the line they can? Additionally I plan to install 1" Shelby drop too because I like the way it performs and looks too.
To All, Thank you for your contribution to my tiny rivet request. I'm absolutely blown away with amount of incredible information SAAC member's have on GT-350's. I look forward to utilizing members in the future with possible questions. You guys are amazing! Fred
SFM 6S2227

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 05:34:12 PM »
Yep  for some reason the real late 66s like yours  had the duct hose fitting riveted on from the outside .  someone from Ford probably told them it would save 5 minutes of time doing it that way.  The pop rivets are aluminum and the front two rivets should have the rivet backup washer when installing the scoop. Get some to help , will save you another 5 minutes and cussing
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
Yep  for some reason the real late 66s like yours  had the duct hose fitting riveted on from the outside .  someone from Ford probably told them it would save 5 minutes of time doing it that way.  The pop rivets are aluminum and the front two rivets should have the rivet backup washer when installing the scoop. Get some to help , will save you another 5 minutes and cussing

Real late must mean after 6S2020 as the ducts are all fitted from the inside on it. (never been messed with)
Also found unused rivets and used rivet tails under the carpet, been there since SA installed the scoops, ducts and plexiglas trim.
Scoops on 2020 used standard style pop rivets to fasten and leading two, top and bottom got the washers.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:15:40 PM by 6s2020 »

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 09:05:42 PM »
yep  in that area.  we can't pinpoint serial number wise .  Ive heard stories that a different tech did the last ones and didn't follow protocol  but we may never know exactly
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member