Author Topic: Yellow top coil placement on engine  (Read 1642 times)

rraceme

• View Profile
Yellow top coil placement on engine
« on: March 08, 2019, 07:53:26 PM »
I've always wanted to ask this question to someone which really knows. When looking at restored GT-350's and mustangs from 1966. Sometimes you see the coil mounted on the passenger side and sometimes on the drivers side. what gives? I'm guessing maybe the carry over cars (because 65 mustangs) might be different than those manufactured in 1966? maybe mustangs had coils placed different than GT-350's? Could be ford changed placement during the 1966 build year?  Please school me!  Thanks, Fred
SFM 6S2227

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow top coil placement on engine
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »
I've always wanted to ask this question to someone which really knows. When looking at restored GT-350's and mustangs from 1966. Sometimes you see the coil mounted on the passenger side and sometimes on the drivers side. what gives? I'm guessing maybe the carry over cars (because 65 mustangs) might be different than those manufactured in 1966? maybe mustangs had coils placed different than GT-350's? Could be ford changed placement during the 1966 build year?  Please school me!  Thanks, Fred
Fred ,both 65 and 66 GT350's had the coil mounted on the passenger side head from the factory just like 100's of thousands of V8 Mustangs in 65 and 66.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:06:22 PM »
I've always wanted to ask this question to someone which really knows. When looking at restored GT-350's and mustangs from 1966. Sometimes you see the coil mounted on the passenger side and sometimes on the drivers side. what gives?

Well first it seems that your comparing all 66 Mustangs to cars being described as "restored" 66 GT350's. 

First for Mustangs it would depend (V8s) if the car was originally equipped with a Thermactor system and if the "restorer" put the coil back where it was originally. They might not know where that was.

As for 66 GT350's both Street 65 and street 66's they would all be in the same location and the same as 65-66 K code Mustangs originally

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:08:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:52:43 PM »

As for 66 GT350's both Street 65 and street 66's they would all be in the same location and the same as 65-66 K code Mustangs originally

How do we know these photos are not just flukes you've accumulated over te past 30+ years?   ;)
Tom Kubler
6S296

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
How do we know these photos are not just flukes you've accumulated over te past 30+ years?   ;)

Good thing Mr Fluke installed them all in one location on K codes

Workers were such creatures of habit  - and not those penguin looking outfits  ::)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:07:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 12:31:39 AM »
From what i seen over the years alot has to do with  smog & factory  a/c.