Author Topic: master cylinder cap color  (Read 2267 times)

red66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
master cylinder cap color
« on: March 06, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »
Can someone please advise me what is the correct color/finish of the master cylinder cap for a 1966 GT350?  I have been told that it should be painted black.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: master cylinder cap color
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 05:21:15 PM »
Can someone please advise me what is the correct color/finish of the master cylinder cap for a 1966 GT350?  I have been told that it should be painted black.
What you were told is correct. More of a semigloss black to be specific. FYI that would be the finish on the cap and master cylinder body both. It appears they were typically painted as a unit.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 08:23:16 PM »
What you were told is correct. More of a semigloss black to be specific. FYI that would be the finish on the cap and master cylinder body both. It appears they were typically painted as a unit.

Hi Bob,  Does that mean the clips will also be black?  Will they be black on both sides or maybe some under spray on their inside?

Thanks

Cory

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 10:59:11 PM »
Hi Bob,  Does that mean the clips will also be black?  Will they be black on both sides or maybe some under spray on their inside?

Yes clips painted (might want to leave a shadow around where the fittings attach at the front - there were plugs installed and left in while in transport and the diameter is slightly larger than the fittings.

Never seen a shadow created on the master cylinder body itself when it's all together and on the car. Finish on the back side of the retaining clips may have been minimal to nothing at the bottom ends but you would not see any of these on the finished produce IMHO
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 07:54:31 AM »
Anyone have a photo please?

Steve
SFM 6S406

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 04:49:49 PM »

Steve
Just a long distance one at the moment.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 05:08:25 PM »

Very popular item to replace or rebuild over the years plus with the brake fluid and plated top the black doesn't hold up well over the years

One worn example. You can see where the worker moved the applicator for the firewall across the front and got some sealant on the lines at the master cylinder

From 66 Magazine article

Some 65 examples

Still some black paint along the front edge of the master cyl and cap

Another

Period pics

That should do it have more ;)

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 07:29:02 PM »

Steve
Just a long distance one at the moment.

Bob it looks like a Pidgeon porthole hood in that picture.

Maybe we can start a thread on this again as there was a great one in SAAC 1.0

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
Thank you all for the swell photos...much appreciated.

All the best,

Steve
SFM 6S406