Author Topic: Goodyear Speedway 350s  (Read 7567 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Goodyear Speedway 350s
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 12:37:00 PM »
No I'm not hoping they are originals at all... just wanting to know how old they are and wondering if they are safe to drive on temporarily .... until I figure out what to put on it. Seems like the general consensus is BFG 225/60-15s ....
I wouldn't waste my time looking for a date code . First off it was most likely ground off along with the DOT by the PO to make it look more vintage but many because they are junk new and old so you probably will not find it. Well my opinion is that whether brand new or over 10 years which is the recommended replacement by MFG's for replacement, the bias ply tires are junk only good for show duty in comparison to any half way decent modern radial tire . Even the BFG's are better (not much ::) ) then the original type bias ply. They don't call the BFG's widow makers for nothing. Many owners have a set of show duty tires on a different set of show duty wheels and a good set of radials on another set of wheels for pleasure driving. It appears you already have the set of show tires  ;)  Your driving experience will be EXTREMELY enhanced in comparison by driving on a good set of radials. You of course are the one that will have to decide if this makes sense for you. Everyone is different. There are others on the forum that have a much broader experience with modern radial tire choices then I. You can reach out to them if you decide on the enhanced driving experience.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 12:06:29 PM »
Thank you Bob...... exactly why I am asking... to see what the general consensus is by the members who already know what works for them.

I am thinking BFG T/As  at  225/60R15 on my 10 spoke alloys..... I just cant bring myself to put a Cooper on the old girl.....

But I am certainly open to suggestions.......
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 12:45:56 PM »
I've been driving on BFG T/A's since about 1976. I haven't wrecked a car or killed myself yet...unless "they" are afraid to tell me?

It does help to keep a lot of air in them though. Somewhere between 35 and 40. Don't go above or below that.

In the "early days" with the first TA tread design, they were in common use as "racing wets". There was a trick to that though. You needed to shave them to around 5/32" before they would start to work.

That's not that uncommon with any tire though with a block tread pattern. Under heavy load the blocks squiggle around because the tire is so soft.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 05:45:49 PM »
Tire compound formulations change all the time. Michelin is the current owner of BFG and they did a reformulation about 9-10 years ago. They are a good street tire but just can't be put in the same camp as a really high performance tire. And when it comes to 15" diameter, choices are very limited.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 06:18:20 PM »
Tire compound formulations change all the time. Michelin is the current owner of BFG and they did a reformulation about 9-10 years ago. They are a good street tire but just can't be put in the same camp as a really high performance tire. And when it comes to 15" diameter, choices are very limited.

I've used W rated tires on my other cars. I can tell you that in my case they were a waste of money and had handling issues. They have low temperature limits and they generally suck in the wet.

My Pirelli P7's fit right in there under the "big suck" catagory.

Anyone who insists on paying for a prestige tire rating is welcome. I just seriously wonder if the new owner will even know the difference.

I'm not a BFG stock holder. I've had high performance cars since 1968. I know what works and what doesn't.

When my kids ask for my opinion I give it. Then I let them make their own choice. It doesn't matter if I'm happy with your choice. It matters if you are.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 07:37:51 PM »
any thoughts on these?
1966 GT350 6s1761

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »
Well... the car is here now, and sure enough no DOT numbers or date code on these tires.

Is it possible to be on the in side ....?

UPDATE - The Speedway 350s came off last nite.... sure enough, the DOT stamp with date code are on the inside only..... and no there has been no grinding on the outside of the tires.

Thanks,

BG
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 01:21:28 PM »
On early repos they were able to hide the federal requirement printing on the lip of the tire where ti would not be seen. At one point a number of years ago the feds required the printing to be moved up to a visible, one tire was installed, location
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 09:43:19 AM »
So, the tires are for sale? I think that is what this was about?
RARE  Signature Delete

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 10:52:59 AM »
So, the tires are for sale? I think that is what this was about?

See Bob's ad below Fran.

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=5569.0

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
They are now that I have the BFGs on the car....... I have listed in the appropriate 'Parts for Sale' section of the Fourm.

Thanks to all that rendered an opinion on the replacements.....the car certainly drives and handles much better now.

Bob
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN