Author Topic: R model radiator  (Read 5342 times)

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
R model radiator
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:12:17 PM »
Guys,
What ford radiator did Shelby use when building the R models>
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: R model radiator
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:48:40 PM »
Hi John,

The leading opinion on the internet seems to be a Galaxie radiator, but I have heard that the R-model radiator was a hybrid of a two Galaxie radiators.  Possible a  combinations of upper and lower tanks to best fit in the car and interface with the engine.  The car also will need to have the core support cut open to match the radiator for best cooling.

We will see what other have to say.

Cory

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »
Hi John,

The leading opinion on the internet seems to be a Galaxie radiator, but I have heard that the R-model radiator was a hybrid of a two Galaxie radiators.  Possible a  combinations of upper and lower tanks to best fit in the car and interface with the engine.  The car also will need to have the core support cut open to match the radiator for best cooling.

Cory
I believe to begin with that they used a Radiator from a FE Galaxie which resulted in complicated radiator hose routing as can be seen in some vintage photos. Later it was found that a smallblock radiator from the same car could be used without the associated problems of the FE version . They still had to beat down the radiator neck to clear the hood regardless.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:17:39 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:46:25 AM »
Hi John,

Cory
I believe to begin with that they used a Radiator from a FE Galaxie which resulted in complicated radiator hose routing as can be seen in some vintage photos. Later it was found that a smallblock radiator from the same car could be used without the associated problems of the FR version . They still had to beat down the radiator neck to clear the hood regardless.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the clarification.  Now I can see where the two radiators came from, both from a Galaxie, but used one after the other, not as a hybrid of them together.

Take care

Cory

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:29:44 AM »
As always,
A wealth of information.
I thought my friends collection had an R model radiator.
Not the case, but it is apparently a 64 galaxies radiator.
Subtle differences .
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 10:24:18 AM »
In doing my research for madeulook, both Jim and Bob in Wisconsin told me they were big block Galaxie radiators, lowered about 1-1/2". Bob had an NOS Big Block radiator in the original box. Re-coring that was a sign of faith IMHO! (and expensive)

The small block radiators were never wide enough to fit what the race team did to the radiator support panel. All the real deal R's I measured had small differences in the radiator support openings.

So, now knowing what I learned, the trick would be to gather 428
Galaxie radiator top and bottom tanks, and head to your favorite radiator shop. The side frames are a lot easier to locate and can be soldered on at home.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:29:00 AM by madeulook »
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »
In doing my research for madeulook, both Jim and Bob in Wisconsin told me they were big block Galaxie radiators, lowered about 1-1/2". Bob had an NOS Big Block radiator in the original box. Re-coring that was a sign of faith IMHO! (and expensive)

The small block radiators were never wide enough to fit what the race team did to the radiator support panel. All the real deal R's I measured had small differences in the radiator support openings.

So, now knowing what I learned, the trick would be to gather 428
Galaxie radiator top and bottom tanks, and head to your favorite radiator shop. The side frames are a lot easier to locate and can be soldered on at home.
John,you may have misunderstood what Jim C and Bob P told you. The smallblock Galaxie radiators I have found are the same width but they may not have the same amount of rows (thickness). It also may have to do if the Galaxy is equipped with AC or not. I am not sure on that but just know the ones I have found were the same dimension.  A very important aspect that you apparently are not aware of is that the although the top tank inlet is the same whether SB or BB, the bottom outlet on a BB radiator is on the opposite side compared to a SB. Some of the earliest R models used a BB radiator but had to fabricate a complicated bottom cross over tube as seen in vintage photographs. Apparently SA found that a heavy duty SB radiator from a SB Galaxie with factory AC had the higher capacity needed plus the bottom outlet was in the right place which eliminated the complicated crossover seen on earlier R models. The wider Galaxie radiator required that the radiator support be cut to allow air flow to reach all of the radiator fins and also just as important so that the radiator would sit forward enough so it would not be too close to the waterpump pulley or to clear the fan (if used) . Many were raced without a fan. The Galaxie radiator is much taller then a Mustang one and the radiator top with a cap on it will rub when the hood is closed. I was told simple solution by one of the SA mechanics. He said they took a piece of wood and laid it on the fill neck and beat it down a little to clear. That worked nicely on mine too. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:18:05 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

dangcarnut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »
I have one of these radiators from a 2 dr 65 Galaxie 500 with 289 4sp w/AC. I'm putting it in my 65 fastback project and would like to share the research I have found in this process. First I would like to say this website is THE BEST in finding out where to go or finding who to go to for info or parts for your project par none and would like to thank all of you for that.
Here is a pic of my 289 HD radiator   I have never seen another one like it on the internet anywhere
I think to use such a radiator, you must also use the early style hood like the port hole hood from shelbyparts.com
These larger radiators are taller and the center rib of later hoods interfere and won't let the hood close all the way.

John

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:26:00 PM by dangcarnut »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 09:31:12 PM »
I have one of these radiators from a 2 dr 65 Galaxie 500 with 289 4sp w/AC. I'm putting it in my 65 fastback project and would like to share the research I have found in this process. First I would like to say this website is THE BEST in finding out where to go or finding who to go to for info or parts for your project par none and would like to thank all of you for that.
Here is a pic of my 289 HD radiator   I have never seen another one like it on the internet anywhere
I think to use such a radiator, you must also use the early style hood like the port hole hood from shelbyparts.com
These larger radiators are taller and the center rib of later hoods interfere and won't let the hood close all the way.

John

Keep in mind you have to cut away the sides of the opening around the radiator support on a 65/66 Mustang for the big radiator to sit right and work.You will have to replace the radiator support if you want to go back stock.Yes it was common to have to modify the filler neck on the radiator because it was taller then a stock Mustang.

Scode67FB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 03:41:25 AM »
I don't want to sound like I'm spamming here, but I know where one of these 65 Galaxie Big Block radiators is if anyone is interested. I think the metal shroud is still with it if needed. Not mine, but I can probably get it if someone wants it.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 12:46:13 PM »
I don't want to sound like I'm spamming here, but I know where one of these 65 Galaxie Big Block radiators is if anyone is interested. I think the metal shroud is still with it if needed. Not mine, but I can probably get it if someone wants it.
FYI the metal fan shrouds were not used on the 65 R models or 66 TA cars.

dangcarnut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 10:42:47 AM »
Here is a good pic of a 65 Shelby R, notice how high the radiator sticks up over the radiator support. The radiator cap is pushed in a little bit to clear the hood, the radiator support is opened up a little bit more to feed air to all the fins. You can even see the brackets that hold the radiator in place. The pic also has the port hole hood which is the earlier fame design to clear the radiator so the hood goes all the way down.

John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 12:10:04 PM »
Here is a good pic of a 65 Shelby R, notice how high the radiator sticks up over the radiator support. The radiator cap is pushed in a little bit to clear the hood, the radiator support is opened up a little bit more to feed air to all the fins. You can even see the brackets that hold the radiator in place. The pic also has the port hole hood which is the earlier fame design to clear the radiator so the hood goes all the way down.

John
Unless you have done this before I would suggest you compare that side picture of the R model radiator and radiator support to any regular 65/66 Mustang or GT350 and consider what has to be done to achieve the fit. After considering what has to be done you may want to reconsider and revise the "little bit more" aspect of your statement. "Hog out" would be more descriptive then "little bit more" IMO. Been there done that.  ;D

dangcarnut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
To answer Mr. Gaines, I too have "Hogged Out" my radiator support. I removed all metal that was to used to attached the original 16" wide radiator. Now that's left is the full opening and I left the molded metal going towards the radiator to help block air from going around. From holding my radiator up to this modified support, it doesn't touch any of this metal that is left. I still want to purchase the R model radiator brackets from Jim at Shelby Parts to finish this install.

:D

John

Still learning everything I can on these wonderful cars...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:10:05 PM by dangcarnut »

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 06:09:36 PM »
So assuming the 289 Fairlane w/ AC radiator can only be found in a junk yard (somebody please tell me it can be ordered new from somewhere) can anyone define the range of years this radiator was used and if it was used in any other vehicles. I just want to know what to ask for when I start the junk hunt. A Ford part number would be great to have.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction