News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Radiator recore

Started by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas, February 08, 2018, 07:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I have my original radiator but it has a small leak. Does anyone have a radiator shop that can recore it with the proper original 2 row core? Everyone I talk to want to do a 3 row repalcemnt
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Shelby_r_b

That's a tough one.  Have you reached out to Jim Cowles?  I'm certain he'll know of somebody that can do the work for you.
Nothing beats a classic!

TLea

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on February 08, 2018, 07:03:43 AM
I have my original radiator but it has a small leak. Does anyone have a radiator shop that can recore it with the proper original 2 row core? Everyone I talk to want to do a 3 row repalcemnt
You also need to find someone that can graft your original header bucket to new core. New cores have incorrect bucket

GT350Lad

How does this look? I had mine recored and think it's pretty close?
Apologies for thread hijack just keen to know what you mean
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

texas swede

Here in the Dallas, TX area, I had my G2. C4ZE, W-MO. 3-65 dated radiator re-cored by
a local shop. Bought the core with the top tank attached and Bill's Radiators and Mufflers
put the original top cover and bottom on to the new core. Regret this as the top tank isn't exactly the same
as the original. A year later I took my friend's G2 dated 2-65 to Bill and to my surprise he
couldn't get the cores with top tank anymore. However, he knew a company that could make the fin part of the core to exact specifications and then he took the complete top tank and bottom and soldered them onto the new fin part. Looks exactly like the original but was much more expensive.
Don't know if Bill can do this still.
Texas Swede

TLea

Quote from: texas swede on February 09, 2018, 06:45:49 AM
However, he knew a company that could make the fin part of the core to exact specifications and then he took the complete top tank and bottom and soldered them onto the new fin part. Looks exactly like the original but was much more expensive.
That's what I'm referring to. If you look at the above recored radiator the bucket header has different indentation that original. Some people don't care or notice