News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

66 Shelby Codes

Started by vintageracer, April 10, 2019, 03:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vintageracer

Did 66 Shelby's ever have VIN numbers on the engine block ?

Heads ?

Transmission ?

I have been told that they did and then others have said that they never did.

thanks

acman63

vin number on the block only
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

vintageracer

So, if I do not have the original block, what is the best block to use as a replacement, acknowledging that it will never be original.

davez

If you are looking for a date code correct block start with the ford VIN. If you can get a copy of the k code registry book you can  figure out the production date of your car approximately. From there 2 - 4 weeks prior to that would be a good date of block to look for. If you have your original heads my experience is the blocks have been dated 3 - 4 weeks after the head date on the 3 k codes I've owned with original motors.

1967 eight barrel

Ford has put vin numbers on the manual tranmissions since the early 60's. You should have a vin on the pad on the bottom where the tail housing bolts to the gear case.
                                                                 -Keith

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

s2ms

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 10, 2019, 08:11:57 PM
Ford has put vin numbers on the manual tranmissions since the early 60's. You should have a vin on the pad on the bottom where the tail housing bolts to the gear case.
                                                                 -Keith

Toploaders yes, but no VINs on the T-10's used in 65-66 GT350's.
Dave - 6S1757