News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Color Change on Judged concours

Started by acman63, March 19, 2019, 03:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on March 20, 2019, 11:26:14 AM
clear coating should also be a deduction as it never left the factory that way. not a big deduction just 1 point. the car can still score 99 out of 100, it just shouldnt be judged 100 pt perfect car.
single stage paints are still available.
I will never be in a Concours event but some states you can't even use the original paints and if you can find them, technically they are illegal to use. Commiefornia being one of the worst offenders. Finding even the right paint mixture is extremely difficult. So when you start splitting hairs 60 years after the manufacture of a vehicle. Where do we draw the line?
Are we going to start using color chips to verify one manufacturer to another's interpretation of a color used on a vehicle and score them down?
I guess at the end of the day, I just don't care. I want to enjoy my vehicle and drive it. It's not going to sit hidden away in a garage or trailer and deteriorate so I can put trophies on a mantle to catch dust.
I am not even sure the SAAC has a class for vehicles with a color variation and chrome under the hood.

-Keith

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 10, 2019, 08:31:05 PM
...I am not even sure the SAAC has a class for vehicles with a color variation and chrome under the hood.

-Keith

Sure they do Keith, it's called popular vote.  ;)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

1967 eight barrel

Chris, My vehicle is extremely well done and for the most part NOS or approved replacement parts. I just went with some shine and a few suspension changes. However, I would NEVER go the Resto-mod route of huge changes that aren't easily reversed.  Probably the closest change on my vehicle that would be truly problematic is the period under-ride traction bars and removing the welded on bracket.

-Keith

TJinSA

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on April 10, 2019, 09:15:50 PM
Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 10, 2019, 08:31:05 PM
...I am not even sure the SAAC has a class for vehicles with a color variation and chrome under the hood.

-Keith

Sure they do Keith, it's called popular vote.  ;)
Like at a cats, dogs, llamas show... they all have fur and are cuddly... 
Tom Kubler
6S296

FL SAAC

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 10, 2019, 11:38:11 PM
Chris, My vehicle is extremely well done and for the most part NOS or approved replacement parts. I just went with some shine and a few suspension changes. However, I would NEVER go the Resto-mod route of huge changes that aren't easily reversed.  Probably the closest change on my vehicle that would be truly problematic is the period under-ride traction bars and removing the welded on bracket.

-Keith

just how we like them, drivable and enjoyed

Keith your car looks awesome!
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

[/quote]
Like at a cats, dogs, llamas show... they all have fur and are cuddly...
[/quote]

we also like animals, some of them medium well...

I have all UNGOLD cars

1967 eight barrel

Yes! Hold the Tofu please!  ;D
                                        -Keith

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 10, 2019, 11:38:11 PM

-Keith

Keith

I have no doubt you car is as you describe. I have followed your numerous threads both here and over on CMF. I like you attitude.

I was simply answering you question about whether SAAC had a class that allowed color variation and chrome under the hood.

They do. I called it the popular vote and I guess it called the peoples choice. My bad.

If you or others are somehow offended by my answer that's not my problem.

Nothing more nothing less.

Chris

P.S. Now that the snow has melted and the roads are being cleaned I am looking forward to driving my car. Also, I just dusted the award yesterday :)

JD

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on April 11, 2019, 10:05:58 AM
Keith

I have no doubt you car is as you describe. I have followed your numerous threads both here and over on CMF. I like you attitude.

I was simply answering you question about whether SAAC had a class that allowed color variation and chrome under the hood.

They do. I called it the popular vote and I guess it called the peoples choice. My bad.

Chris

P.S. Now that the snow has melted and the roads are being cleaned I am looking forward to driving my car. Also, I just dusted the award yesterday :)

^^^ Yes, and not all Concours cars are sealed away in climate-controlled tombs - some do get driven and enjoyed.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

FL SAAC

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 11, 2019, 12:10:35 AM
Yes! Hold the Tofu please!  ;D
                                        -Keith

lmao

I have all UNGOLD cars

1967 eight barrel

Chris

Chris: I am not offended, because I don't care much about what others think. I try to share my passion and joy with others but my nature is forthright and direct. Decisions I make on a daily basis are done with 194 people counting on them which their very life depends. I'm a solid quiet individual in person.
However, there are some that have such a narrow view on these vehicles that anything other than bone stock is sacrilege.
Our cars earned their reputation on the track and street. Not on the back of a trailer.

-Keith

69mach351w

Yep, our 69 mach gets drove a lot!!  but, it is concours correct.  I recently entered the conservator class from the MCA  "concours driven" class.  We drive it at Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, SC, also at the Ponies in the Smokies,  local cruise shows, etc,etc,...

And just out for that Sunday.........Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday......Drive ;D

Coralsnake

I have a 1968 perspective...Im not sure which owners or cars the opinion that they are "sealed away and never driven" is about...SAAC has had 39 Gold Champions (1968 Shelbys) in the last 25 years. Many of those cars are now driven.

So basically, by perpetuating the myth that show cars are never driven, one would be basing that on maybe one car a year?

Sounds like a terribly small sample size to me.

Im sure other years are similar. Can we drop the divisive nature of show car vs driven car?

It seems very childish to me, having done both....if you cant or dont wish to build a concours car, just enjoy them and the thousands of hours research that goes into them, to make your car what you want it to be.

I would make this prediction if SAAC ever did drop the car show portion of the event, the attendance would also drop.

This reminds me of the pre67 vs post67 arguments if a car is "real Shelby"

Personally, I have grown really tired of that immaturity of that as well.

Signed
Stay off my lawn guy

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 13, 2019, 08:08:31 AM
I have a 1968 perspective...Im not sure which owners or cars the opinion that they are "sealed away and never driven" is about...SAAC has had 39 Gold Champions (1968 Shelbys) in the last 25 years. Many of those cars are now driven.

So basically, by perpetuating the myth that show cars are never driven, one would be basing that on maybe one car a year?

Sounds like a terribly small sample size to me.

Im sure other years are similar. Can we drop the divisive nature of show car vs driven car?

It seems very childish to me, having done both....if you cant or dont wish to build a concours car, just enjoy them and the thousands of hours research that goes into them, to make your car what you want it to be.

I would make this prediction if SAAC ever did drop the car show portion of the event, the attendance would also drop.

This reminds me of the pre67 vs post67 arguments if a car is "real Shelby"

Personally, I have grown really tired of that immaturity of that as well.

Signed
Stay off my lawn guy

Hum? It's more then that. It's the term "correct".

What happens is when you are sitting on the "Group W" bench, and when the father rapers hear that you are just a littler bug. They all move away from you.

Some don't want to be associated with someone who is "incorrect".

I don't blame the Shelby guys for this however. Generally speaking the ones I know of from going way back are some of the most "incorrect" people that I have ever met. I don't take exception to that because many accept me and appreciate me for my lack of perfection. So I want to show reciprocity.

I attribute this attitude as coming from other persuasions such as people wandering over here from the Ferarri, Lamborghini, Hemi and Corvette circles. I mean, we just leave the door unlocked here and let anyone in to join and post? They simply presume that "Grey Poupon" must be requested within the proper channels? Au contraire!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 13, 2019, 12:34:15 AM

Chris

Chris: I am not offended, because I don't care much about what others think. I try to share my passion and joy with others but my nature is forthright and direct. Decisions I make on a daily basis are done with 194 people counting on them which their very life depends. I'm a solid quiet individual in person.
However, there are some that have such a narrow view on these vehicles that anything other than bone stock is sacrilege.
Our cars earned their reputation on the track and street. Not on the back of a trailer.

-Keith

Keith

It may not surprise you to know you have the same characteristics as many of the members I have met over the past few years. We seem to be drawn to each other. In person they are genuine and soft spoken (well, most of them) ;) some of the nicest people I will ever have the privilege of knowing.

On this site I can understand why some might get the impression that there is an 'elite' mentality. I guarantee if you knew some of them personally you would understand the inaccuracy of that perception.

I think in general many of us here are all very direct and passionate about what we believe. I don't take anything personally because, like you I am not bothered by what other think of me, never have been.

I agree that some individuals think that their idea of the perfect car is the only way it should be, whether that is driven or concours. As Rick would say "the people in the cheap seats boo the loudest".  I have to side with Pete on this one as I too believe it to be childish behavior. I have accepted the fact that some people never grow up, just the way it is.

I enjoy the time I spend on this site and the conventions I have attended. When they get closer to the middle of the country I will return.

Hope to meet you in person some day Keith, I think we would have plenty to talk about.

Chris