Author Topic: FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1  (Read 43035 times)

Shelbypat

• View Profile
Re: FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »
Congratulations. I dream to find one in a barn. Would be very exciting...

Patrick

CalSpecial68

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »
CONGRATS! Way to go Ruben, nice car! glad the deal didn't keep going south that would have sucked big time. Great background info!
Enjoy!

Rick Herrera
Born and raised in San Antonio, but now live in Corpus.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 08:56:25 AM »
congratulations ruben on your find , great story and enjoy the ride
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 03:01:32 PM »
Thanks to all! 

I'll keep this thread going with any new updates as things develop.  Today, I'll be doing some stuff to get ready for next weekend's MCA National in Houston - I can't wait!

And, as I mentioned before, if you are in the area next weekend, PLEASE come by and say, hi.  It's always great to put a face with a name...or forum handle.  ;)

Have a great Sunday!
Nothing beats a classic!

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »
Did you pay more than 450.00 for it? That's what I paid for my "project car" in 1982. Great find and best of luck with bringing her around!

-Keith

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »
Very cool to find a Shelby time capsule. 

Trust you will document every original detail as found. And I mean overall and detail shots of everything as found and as it comes apart. If you don't have a couple of hundred photos, you didn't shoot enough.

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 11:31:01 AM »
Great Find! Great news in you being able to purchase. I have added the plate number to my list of 1967 original plates. Do you know if the hood is original to the car? I thought that the AC cars received the louvered hoods. Enjoy your amazing find.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 01:06:01 PM »
Great Find! Great news in you being able to purchase. I have added the plate number to my list of 1967 original plates. Do you know if the hood is original to the car? I thought that the AC cars received the louvered hoods. Enjoy your amazing find.

Thanks!

Great question, regarding the hood.  I had reached out to Dave Mathews with the same question.  He told me that not all AC cars came with louvered hoods.  And, this hood looks to be original, as it still has visible spots of the original red paint showing through, as well as what look to be original chalk markings on the underside.  I'll post pictures at a later date.

Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 01:20:14 PM »

Thanks!

Great question, regarding the hood.  I had reached out to Dave Mathews with the same question.  He told me that not all AC cars came with louvered hoods.  And, this hood looks to be original, as it still has visible spots of the original red paint showing through, as well as what look to be original chalk markings on the underside.  I'll post pictures at a later date.
Yes mistakes happen . There are other examples in 67 of a item that was originally designed and engineered to be installed on the cars didn't get down. The most logical explanation is because of supply or just plain stupidity on the part of the installer. They can sometimes be difficult to confirm if original to the car or not .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »
Ruben mentioned to me that the car has rear ducted brake lower scoops.  Doesn't that seem odd for a car this late?  Another example of how these cars didn't always follow the rules.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 01:43:32 PM »
Yes, it's interesting how items / features (especially during the 67 model run) can, at times, not follow suit. To be honest, given all the running changes through that year of production, its a wonder that anything showed some type of pattern.  :)

According to the latest registry, the car was completed at San Jose on 5/15/67, completed at LAX on 6/16/67, and then shipped to Mel Burns Ford on 6/27/67.

I'm very anxious to see what other information can be had about the car - either from the family or by other means.  I'm told that there are pictures of the car from when the second owner had it, but the family is still trying to go through his belongs, so, it may take some time. 
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
Here are two pictures in reference to my most recent post.

The first picture shows red paint under the replacement hood pin on the passenger side.  Also, if you look at the full frontal shot of the car on Brant's blog, you can see red along front parts of the hood.

The second picture is of the chalk markings located under the hood towards the nose on the driver's side.  I have no idea what the markings mean, and would love to hear suggestions!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:57:42 PM by Shelby_0022 »
Nothing beats a classic!

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »
Id guess distributor info and timing info
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

shelby001

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »

Wow very,very nice.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 09:15:40 PM »
Thanks Jim - makes sense, regarding the under hood markings.

Also, its pretty cool what you'll find going through stuff in an older car (as you all probably know).  I found the business cards pictured in a box of stuff in the car. 

I probably should know, but does anyone recognize the names / places other than Branda?
Nothing beats a classic!