News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1

Started by Shelby_r_b, March 22, 2019, 09:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 18, 2020, 11:13:44 PM
Just in case you are not aware the Cobra intake used on the smog cars are ether the S7MS or S2MS that have provisions for for the coil to be mounted on the intake . I only mention this in case you are not aware because you have gone to the trouble of trying to make many of the the highly visible things in the engine compartment assemblyline correct . The coil in the wrong place is highly visible on top of the compressor but it is more accessible.

You're spot on, Bob. The coil was in its current location when I got the car, and the heater hoses were changed out by a shop that didn't know that the coil was not in the correct location.  So, I kept the coil where it was for now. However, I did notice that the intake has the correct spot to mount the coil (I owe another thanks to you, Bob and JD, as you both confirmed the correct coil placement in another thread). Here's a pic that shows (what I believe to be) the correct mounting point of the coil. This was taken prior to replacement of the heater hoses.

Thanks to all!
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

For others, as Ruben already knows, here is a shot of the coil in the intended position on top of the right side of the intake...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

I've seen  the coil mounted to the top of the A/C compressor before. Is there an application where that was done assemblyline?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 19, 2020, 06:56:06 AM
I've seen  the coil mounted to the top of the A/C compressor before. Is there an application where that was done assemblyline?
Not any year vintage Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mark p

That's where the guys put it on my T-bird... so maybe on some other Fords?

(let me know if this is too much drift and I should delete)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mark p on April 19, 2020, 05:55:46 PM

That's where the guys put it on my T-bird... so maybe on some other Fords?

(let me know if this is too much drift and I should delete)
On the off chance that you think that coil is supposed to be mounted on top of the compressor FYI he factory T bird intake has a provision for the coil to be mount .It sits behind the compressor on the FE intake. It is easier to get to on top of the compressor I suppose that is why the guys put it there.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mark p

^^^ oops, New lesson, never assume that the "experts" know what they are doing?  ::) ???
Thanks Bob,
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Shelby_r_b

The AC evaporator has been working extremely well lately...so much so that the condensation build up in the evaporator box has revealed several leaks 😢.

While removing the box, I decided to remove the blower motor assembly as well. As one would expect, both units were extremely dusty / dirty. But, it was cool to clean things up and see the date code on the blower motor.

Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Well, I decided to replace the original evaporator / heater box (which I may have restored at some point) with an aftermarket box.

I was a bit skeptical about using a reproduction box, but I have to say that this is one quality item! I've attached pictures of the box all loaded up, upon initial install, and the temp gauge while running the AC in 100 degree heat.

Side note: I cannot believe how much incorrect work I uncovered while disassembling the system. And, I'm equally amazed at how well the system works with these corrections.

Loving the AC!
Nothing beats a classic!

greekz

Looking good. One piece at a time is what is takes sometimes to get your car where you want it to be.

AC is a nice convenience in SA.  It gets might toasty there this time of year.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Shelby_r_b

Finally, I was able to get some more of the small stuff done under the hood (it's a bit dirty right now 😉).

- Moved the coil to the correct location
- Changed out the heater hoses for the correct red stripped hoses (and, connected them correctly; which the shop that got it running switched incorrectly)
- Clamp on the AC compressor that holds the smog hose (let me know if anyone needs one - I had to buy in bulk 😏)
- Zip ties and rubber straps for the export brace
- Etc.

Little by little and more to come.
Nothing beats a classic!