News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SAI assembly line parts robbing

Started by 2112, March 24, 2019, 02:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the discussion of Z stamped VINs, the subject of grabbing parts off of certain cars (unfinished?) to complete other cars was mentioned.

Is this a practice that is known to have taken place?

If so, What parts would be examples of the kind they would take off one car to complete another? Fiberglass? Engine components?

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Check out vintage photos of the "factory".Guys smoking,parts piled haphazardly on tables,a surgical clean teslack factory it was not.A different time and more importantly limited production,so I am sure parts availability was a frequent problem.Because of that I wouldn't put anything out of the question regarding how these guys "allocated"parts.. ;D

Richstang

The "1967 Shelby Research Group" digs deep into this topic as related to the possible meaning of the 'Z' stamping on the VIN.
There's too much too post here so Brian S. asked me if I could share a link in this thread.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shelbyresearch/vvHdD9CG4d0

Regarding parts robbing, some of these cars were known to have issues upon arrival at the dealers. (A variety of them are listed in the registry footnotes.) I wouldn't doubt many arrived at LAX with similar issues that needed to be fixed. Many could be quickly resolved by switching parts (thinking mechanical issues) from a car sitting on the lot waiting for completion. I'd imagine taking parts off a car already completed was heavily frowned upon, but happed on occasion too when there was no other alternative to get a dealer order shipped ASAP.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

GT350DAVE

That information came out in a discussion with Fred Godell. He said that quality control was a mess and cars were being shipped incomplete with parts missing and even parts being borrowed from finished inventory. Those items were only part of what he was tasked with straightening out when he joined Shelby. There is quite a number of complaints from dealers stating missing parts and incomplete cars to back this up.
As for the "Z", that was just a guess on my part. Certainly better than outboard headlights. I ran that theory by Fred and he said that he didn't remember the "Z" but the QC theory was a good one. Others think it is an inventory mark for an accounting of Ford's ownership.

Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

The reason I asked is to possibly explain my car.

My car was finished on 2/2/67 in San Jose. It was finished at LAX on 4/6/67.

It has Assembly line correct BJ/BK carburetors but one is stamped as built in late February '67 and the other late March '67.

I would have guessed that if replaced, they would have had the service replacement date code at the least. Repop at worst.

Both were made before the car left LAX, but installation would have happened in the car's last couple of weeks there.