News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What kind of black paint are you using for the engine bay?

Started by magstar67, March 24, 2019, 10:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6972boss

Thank you! I was not sure how the hot rod clear would work.  I like it better than anything else i worked with.

Bossbill

Getting ready to paint some items that I'd like to have finished in a 2K product for durability.

I like SEM Trim Black in both the spray can (excellent nozzle and sprays better than most paint cans) and in quart can for use with an HVLP. Nice color but not uber durable.

I also like DP90 as it is quite durable, but as Jeff says, is not UV stable.

A call to SEM tech support has them saying that their 'Hot Rod Black Clear' (matte) will successfully go over their Trim Black or DP90(LF). The clear should be shot within the DP's re-coat window or scuffed if not.

Sounds like an interesting thing to try as I have some things in Trim Black that I think might be better served in something more durable.

Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

1967 eight barrel

Trim black is a thin paint and not particularly durable by any standard. The finish is nice. However, what I learned is that something with more gloss is much easier to keep looking nice because the dirt doesn't stick as easily and it can be dusted/wiped off with little effort. The trim black also peels over time.

-Keith

Rukiddin

I realize I am entering my "vote" on this topic,as I have before,but the one I use is bought from local John Deere dealer. Available in rattle can and pints,etc. It depends on your choice of "correctness" between gloss choices,but I use medium gloss... and believe the QUALITY of the paint is excellent. From high gloss to blitz black and a few between, I   Have used on motorcycle restos to a few Shelby/Mustang/Ford type restorations. Best "crinkle" in a can is Harley Davidson. Do not buy any from Chinese stores..i.e. Dollar General,Family Dollar,etc.

1967 eight barrel

I would personally never use spray can products on something like an engine compartment.  It just doesn't have the durability. You can run a single or dual stage catalyzed product. You just have to be careful with your choices, Many don't hold up to heat or chemicals well.  A big block car is ALWAYS hot under the hood and the paint, especially on the shock towers, is susceptible to blistering and discoloration.  Spraying over rattle can paint also is asking for issues.

-Keith

1967 eight barrel

This is the black two stage I used. It wipes off easily is is quite durable.        -Keith

csheff

1967 eight barrel

It calls for 70% gloss specifically. However, as I stated it's almost impossible to keep clean.

1967 eight barrel

I found the engine compartment picture less the engine.

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

1967 eight barrel

Most of us aren't using what was suggested in that feed. I don't care what Ford uses. I wanted what looked like Ford uses with a much more durable finish. That is a base coat-clear coat system.