News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Steering wheel caps

Started by BGlover67, April 03, 2019, 05:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

A friend contacted me today about a steering wheel cap he has for sale.  It has some age to it, and ironucally, I have the exact same one.  It was on the original wood steering wheel on no 83 when I bought it, but I knew it wasn't correct  because it didn't say GT350. It just says SHELBY Cobra.  Here is his pic:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPwlWNUQ-wkAeIYNU00y-o3KozBUPbMuINvXdzWZ9SjRBoFfNM_sgWd9RPmvMnX7A/photo/AF1QipPilNQf7mLMG--01On5lrjISTbK_ifGLayLEcX6?key=emxLc3dZd3dUOGJUNVVLOE1YMlRwQkdtR1FLT09B

What's the story with these?  Were they service replacements?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

acman63

button is correct.  emblem is the fit all unit they sold in their catalog
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on April 03, 2019, 05:26:55 PM
A friend contacted me today about a steering wheel cap he has for sale.  It has some age to it, and ironucally, I have the exact same one.  It was on the original wood steering wheel on no 83 when I bought it, but I knew it wasn't correct  because it didn't say GT350. It just says SHELBY Cobra.  Here is his pic:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPwlWNUQ-wkAeIYNU00y-o3KozBUPbMuINvXdzWZ9SjRBoFfNM_sgWd9RPmvMnX7A/photo/AF1QipPilNQf7mLMG--01On5lrjISTbK_ifGLayLEcX6?key=emxLc3dZd3dUOGJUNVVLOE1YMlRwQkdtR1FLT09B

What's the story with these?  Were they service replacements?
Yes, it is a service replacement. It was also available in the Shelby catalog as Jim mentioned. It is not found on regular production cars.  Back in the day Ford made the compromise to change the emblem for service most likely so they wouldn't have to worry about the GT350 or GT500 aspect.  One button would fit both. I am guessing this transitioned not too long after 67 production ceased. I have seen that button in many NOS Ford boxes over the years. It was anti climactic when you opened the rare box and saw the service button instead of a GT350 or 500.  They did this to other parts over the years also . To the bean counters to save money it made sense to make a part fit more then one application.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

Thanks Jim and Bob, that's kinda what I figured.  I have an original GT500 I found online, nice shape if anyone needs.

Brian
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative