News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Does anyone repair 67 deluxe door panels

Started by GT350DAVE, March 29, 2019, 12:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 30, 2019, 10:23:54 AM
Quote from: 2112 on March 30, 2019, 12:29:54 AM
I used this company and had an extremely good result;

http://www.justdashes.com/services/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So,
Kind of as it stands, is the general consensus that this link above is a good company, that has satisfying results?
Do they cap the original like Gene does mentioned herein?

I always try and keep track of where I will need to send parts to #45 when I can get to the car.
Respectfully submitted,
John
Typically . As mentioned in reply #10.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 30, 2019, 06:37:07 AM
Quote from: 2112 on March 30, 2019, 12:29:54 AM
I used this company and had an extremely good result;

http://www.justdashes.com/services/

Can you give me some idea of the cost? It seems to me that this vacuum forming process is what a new reproduction panel would need to use. The only questions are how close it comes to the original, how long it will last and of course the cost.

Many of the originals were already cracking when they were less then 10 years old anyway and had to have been made with a process like this to begin with?

The grain on my 67 would seem to very similar. My '68, not.
Typically different in texture and grain from original (also reply #10) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Deluxe Camaro panels had wood inserts, Stainless trim and a carpet bottom. They reconstructed the fiberboard that was rotten and laminated the remaining board for increased strength and water resistance. They straightened and correctly polished the Stainless, repairing the retention posts. They cleaned and polished the faux wood inserts. They also fabricated new door finger-cups.

The panels were in bad shape to begin with so they required about as much help as possible. I seem to recall prices ranged from $600-$1600 per set. These were on the high end of that. They appeared factory fresh when done.

These panels are not reproduced and insanely rare, so the price was worth it. It took a year to find a set of cores with enough there (and nice wood) to move forward.

Quote from: DGSOH on March 30, 2019, 05:13:16 AM

For others considering reproductions, I've been through 3 different manufacturers: TMI, Mustang Market and Dashes Direct. Each has disqualifying attributes but the least of the 3 evils is the Dashes Direct set in my opinion. Currently engaged in battle on the passenger side and hope to declare victory by weekend's end if all goes well, much to ask I know.

I've made a template of the clip holes (because I had to, not because I wanted to) so I can re-punch the repro water shields and hoping that'll help me align the clips on the panels before install as well.

I would love to know the pro and cons of the three. TMI seems to have the most robust inner core components, but I have never done a side by side comparison.

GT350DAVE

Thanks to all who participated in this thread. Some good options.

Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

shelbydoug

Quote from: 2112 on March 30, 2019, 12:54:49 PM
Quote from: DGSOH on March 30, 2019, 05:13:16 AM

For others considering reproductions, I've been through 3 different manufacturers: TMI, Mustang Market and Dashes Direct. Each has disqualifying attributes but the least of the 3 evils is the Dashes Direct set in my opinion. Currently engaged in battle on the passenger side and hope to declare victory by weekend's end if all goes well, much to ask I know.

I've made a template of the clip holes (because I had to, not because I wanted to) so I can re-punch the repro water shields and hoping that'll help me align the clips on the panels before install as well.

I would love to know the pro and cons of the three. TMI seems to have the most robust inner core components, but I have never done a side by side comparison.

So now I need to ask "who makes yours?" Are you kidding? I just went through this with the 68 tilt directional switch. It was like trying to dig up Shelby and asking him who made the part?

I can see this already. This is not going to go well?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

If you are asking me, I don't know who made mine. They came on the car.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 2112 on March 31, 2019, 11:32:04 AM
If you are asking me, I don't know who made mine. They came on the car.

No, not asking you. What I am saying is that if I go the route of buying a set of repros and it appears that there are several reproduction manufacturers, one is seen as the best, I need to ask the vendor what brand they are selling.

In my experience, many simply do not know the answer to that.

The prospect of paying $900 each to have mine "re-built, re-manufactured, re-covered"...whatever the appropriate term is, I might as well just consider the best reproductions at $250 a set and if and when the car is ever sold, the originals go with it.

The reality is that almost every car is going to eventually going to have a non-original reproduction part on the car. Some more then others. Why angst about this?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

I agree, which is why I asked for more information on the pros and cons of each as it seems some people have experience with more than one of the reproduction panels.

shelbydoug

I need to re-read this entire thread and re-consider what all are saying? Is there really more then one manufacturer or is that being confused with various VENDORS? Like exactly how many deluxe 67 Mustang door panels are needed?

Tooling is always 95% of a products cost. A dozen manufacturers are going to tool up to sell 500 sets? Doesn't make sense?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

Well, somebody tooled up to make the current "too grainey" ones.....

Been $3%&ing about this for years and years.  No change.

shelbydoug

Quote from: roddster on March 31, 2019, 12:22:26 PM
  Well, somebody tooled up to make the current "too grainey" ones.....

Been $3%&ing about this for years and years.  No change.

"Too grainy" isn't in the tooling, it's in the fabric used. My originals are on the smoothish side. Smoother then the seat fabric.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

DGSOH

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 31, 2019, 11:54:13 AM
I need to re-read this entire thread and re-consider what all are saying? Is there really more then one manufacturer or is that being confused with various VENDORS? Like exactly how many deluxe 67 Mustang door panels are needed?

Tooling is always 95% of a products cost. A dozen manufacturers are going to tool up to sell 500 sets? Doesn't make sense?

From my experience with TMI, Mustang Exchange and Dashes Direct each appears to be manufactured with differing materials and techniques yielding quite different results both in quality and faithfulness to the originals (which none of them are in my opinion). So I'd say there are at least 3 manufactures distributed by some larger number of vendors.

I'm using the Dashes Direct interpretation. Be prepared if you go the repro route, it's not the "splap'em on in there" kind of experience one would hope for.

I've attached an image of today's skirmish - mostly done I think aside from removing the protective film from the aluminum panel, access plug and door pull cup. It'll have to do until I can talk myself into getting the originals redone.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DGSOH on March 31, 2019, 04:20:15 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on March 31, 2019, 11:54:13 AM

From my experience with TMI, Mustang Exchange and Dashes Direct each appears to be manufactured with differing materials and techniques yielding quite different results both in quality and faithfulness to the originals (which none of them are in my opinion). So I'd say there are at least 3 manufactures distributed by some larger number of vendors.

I'm using the Dashes Direct interpretation. Be prepared if you go the repro route, it's not the "splap'em on in there" kind of experience one would hope for.

I've attached an image of today's skirmish - mostly done I think aside from removing the protective film from the aluminum panel, access plug and door pull cup. It'll have to do until I can talk myself into getting the originals redone.
FYI Ford started to put a screw in the panel at the door opening end as needed . It seemed to coincide with shortly after 67 production started. You might see the screw hole in the metal. This was to hold the panel in better. This is especially helpful with the typical ill fitting repros.