Author Topic: Does anyone repair 67 deluxe door panels  (Read 9636 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone repair 67 deluxe door panels
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2019, 05:17:52 PM »
I need to re-read this entire thread and re-consider what all are saying? Is there really more then one manufacturer or is that being confused with various VENDORS? Like exactly how many deluxe 67 Mustang door panels are needed?

Tooling is always 95% of a products cost. A dozen manufacturers are going to tool up to sell 500 sets? Doesn't make sense?

From my experience with TMI, Mustang Exchange and Dashes Direct each appears to be manufactured with differing materials and techniques yielding quite different results both in quality and faithfulness to the originals (which none of them are in my opinion). So I'd say there are at least 3 manufactures distributed by some larger number of vendors.

I'm using the Dashes Direct interpretation. Be prepared if you go the repro route, it's not the "splap'em on in there" kind of experience one would hope for.

I've attached an image of today's skirmish - mostly done I think aside from removing the protective film from the aluminum panel, access plug and door pull cup. It'll have to do until I can talk myself into getting the originals redone.

It looks very nice to me from here. My original panels do have the screws in them at the point of the panel. If that's all it needs, just do it. If it was done by the factory, then it is Concours acceptable.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2019, 05:39:22 PM »
FYI Ford started to put a screw in the panel at the door opening end as needed . It seemed to coincide with shortly after 67 production started. You might see the screw hole in the metal. This was to hold the panel in better. This is especially helpful with the typical ill fitting repros.

Thanks Bob.

I had this conversation with some others and the consensus was because mine is an early car, 0066, that no screw would be appropriate. Is this not the case?

For the record the panels that came on the car when I acquired it have the screws but who knows if they came that way from the factory... though they are date code appropriate.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »
The screw is why I want to redo mine.   :P

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »

Do you mean tha you do want the screw or you don't?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2019, 06:39:21 PM »

Do you mean tha you do want the screw or you don't?

Don't. Otherwise I would just put one in.   ;D

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 06:55:27 PM »
FYI Ford started to put a screw in the panel at the door opening end as needed . It seemed to coincide with shortly after 67 production started. You might see the screw hole in the metal. This was to hold the panel in better. This is especially helpful with the typical ill fitting repros.

Thanks Bob.

I had this conversation with some others and the consensus was because mine is an early car, 0066, that no screw would be appropriate. Is this not the case?

For the record the panels that came on the car when I acquired it have the screws but who knows if they came that way from the factory... though they are date code appropriate.
I think it would be correct ether way . That is just the way my perception has evolved over the years. Others may think differently. I have seen them on earlier produced cars then #066 that gave every indication were undisturbed interiors. There is no real way to tell if a screw was installed after the fact unless it is too large a hole wrong type screw etc. Even then it is problematic to determine.  I would not replace door panels because they have them nor would I automatically put some in if they don't . I would do as the factory did and only use them as needed. If replacing your panels and you can get them to fit proper then leave them off no harm no foul . It is not like anyone is going to go prying up panels to see if there is a empty screw hole. The few that might feel compelled to try on someone else's car out of some misguided self righteousness will not live long . ;)  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »
I think it would be correct ether way . That is just the way my perception has evolved over the years. Others may think differently. I have seen them on earlier produced cars then #066 that gave every indication were undisturbed interiors. There is no real way to tell if a screw was installed after the fact unless it is too large a hole wrong type screw etc. Even then it is problematic to determine.  I would not replace door panels because they have them nor would I automatically put some in if they don't . I would do as the factory did and only use them as needed. If replacing your panels and you can get them to fit proper then leave them off no harm no foul . It is not like anyone is going to go prying up panels to see if there is a empty screw hole. The few that might feel compelled to try on someone else's car out of some misguided self righteousness will not live long . ;)  ;D

Exactly what I intended to do.

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2019, 07:03:57 PM »
There is a Service Bulletin for adding the screws as a method of keeping the door panels in place.

Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2019, 07:38:51 PM »

[/quote] It is not like anyone is going to go prying up panels to see if there is a empty screw hole. The few that might feel compelled to try on someone else's car out of some misguided self righteousness will not live long . ;)  ;D
[/quote]

;D  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2019, 11:58:24 PM »
There is a Service Bulletin for adding the screws as a method of keeping the door panels in place.

Dave

See attached... Ford titled this a "Retaining Screw Location - '67 Mustang Deluxe Door Trim Panel Rattle"

(note this was a Ford issue notice, not Shelby)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:01:10 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2019, 04:29:54 AM »
Do we know on what date the service bulletin started to be distributed?

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »
Dave,
Gene Painter repairs your original door panels. If the backing board is still good and only the vinyl torn they come out really nice. He has been doing these style door panels for years. There was a period of time that people thought he was "out-of-business" but I have talked with him and had panels repaired in the last two year.

Tom Gilliam
(270) 755 -6417
Thanks. I dealt with Gene on a few occasions on 69 deluxe door panels decades ago and I loved his work. I'm glad to see he is still in business. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2019, 01:11:10 PM »
I have a Nov 66 shelby. It has the screws at the rear. It was a TSB that would have been applicable to any vehicle returning for door panel loosening, so the date of the TSB Isn't relevant.  I can also tell you that if you do this, FOLLOW THE DIMENSIONS exactly, otherwise you'll miss the metal structure of the door. 
As for the door panels, there are several different manufacturers. At least three that are all different. TMI, Dash Designs and Mustang Market are all different. I have seen them all before settling on the dash design door panels. The area the cups fit in were the biggest issue. TMI cut the vinyl incorrectly at the cup openings, Mustang Market panels are actually a bit short and the door handle cup would not fit.
It gets expensive returning them as well.

-Keith

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2019, 03:15:47 PM »
Dave,
Gene Painter repairs your original door panels. If the backing board is still good and only the vinyl torn they come out really nice. He has been doing these style door panels for years. There was a period of time that people thought he was "out-of-business" but I have talked with him and had panels repaired in the last two year.

Gene is at (270) 755 -6417

Tom Gilliam

I word-smithed the quote from Tom  so I don't call that number and ask for Tom.

I wonder if Gene can also make the boards flat again? Besides needing a recover, mine are a bit curved I wonder if that rules me out. Might have to call him!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:17:36 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2023, 07:45:52 PM »
Plain and simple, where to go for the BEST reproduction door panel OR complete door panel for a 1967 Shelby?? Lets try not to get off track, I simply want to order a pair of panels and put them on my car where I will be happy.
RARE  Signature Delete