Author Topic: Does anyone repair 67 deluxe door panels  (Read 9635 times)

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
Does anyone repair 67 deluxe door panels
« on: March 29, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »
Does anyone repair 67 deluxe door panels. Have the usual cracks at the door pull.

Dave
dmathews@prodigy.net
Support the SAAC Registry

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone repair 67 deluxe door panels
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 01:21:36 PM »
Does anyone repair 67 deluxe door panels. Have the usual cracks at the door pull.

Dave
dmathews@prodigy.net
There are companies for the automotive industry that cater to car dealerships that do vinyl repairs .Just about every major city has some. The leg work involved is contacting various local dealerships and see who they recommend. The down side is that I haven't heard of or seen any where that the results are such that you can't tell a repair has been done. Better then the damage typically but not invisible. There are others that will take your original door panel and recover a piece over the entire panel . The recovered door panel now looks about like the current repro panel but on the plus side it will fit on your door better without all of the typical fighting to get the repro panel to fit. I haven't heard of another alternative. Hopefully for all someone else has come across a better alternative.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
I need mine done too. What do you find is the issue with the new repro panel?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 04:23:29 PM »
I used the reproduction panels. I had no issue with fitment except the cups for the door handle were snug. I think I kept the box. You will want to avoid TMI because of the pull handle cup issue. I am in Ithaca, NY for a couple days and then on my way back to Dallas. I think they were made by Dash Designs. If you have to dye them like I did you'll really need to be VERY thorough on removal of the mould release agents.
There is a local company who does vinyl repair but most panel damage happens around the armrest because it's a high stress area. I don't see them holding up long term.
                                                                            -Keith

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:52:16 PM »
Bob and Keith,
I appreciate your input. I used repro panels on one of my cars about 8 years ago and the backing board was total junk. It didn't fit well was easily damaged in the clip areas. I was hoping for a better alternative.

In 1978 when I restored my first Shelby, there was a company who actually used the original backing boards and installed a new vinyl cover on them. Those panels still look good today. Unfortunately they went out of business.
Dave

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 08:04:05 PM »
I need mine done too. What do you find is the issue with the new repro panel?
The typical issues are finish of the vinyl, clip fitment in the panel ,and door cup area fitment. The down side issues are not insurmountable and have been worked around for decades but they are issues non the less.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tgilliam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:25:36 PM »
Dave,
Gene Painter repairs your original door panels. If the backing board is still good and only the vinyl torn they come out really nice. He has been doing these style door panels for years. There was a period of time that people thought he was "out-of-business" but I have talked with him and had panels repaired in the last two year.

Tom Gilliam
(270) 755 -6417

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:26:48 PM »
Gene is still around?  Good information!

-Keith

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 09:34:09 PM »
Tom,
Thank you . Your information as always right on. I will give you a call.
Thanks
Dave

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 12:29:54 AM »
I used this company and had an extremely good result;

http://www.justdashes.com/services/

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 12:43:43 AM »

That method along with what Gene Painter does is where they take your original door panel and recover it with a vinyl piece over the entire panel. It is like a cap.  I have heard good things about both services however they don't look exactly like original. It is about small texture differences in the vinyl but differences all the same. It is not as good as good condition original but better then repro IMO for the reasons I previously mentioned.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 02:38:32 AM »
I had a set of '70 deluxe interior Camaro panels done as a gift for my best buddy. They are unobtanium. They are considered the hardest Early Camaro panel to get right.

At least in this particular case, they were undectable as being restored, not original.

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 05:13:16 AM »

Just make sure you're sitting down when/if you get an estimate - not inexpensive. I'm still procrastinating on having mine done but for the time being I'm going to use repros (I can hear the gasps from the gallery now).

For others considering reproductions, I've been through 3 different manufacturers: TMI, Mustang Market and Dashes Direct. Each has disqualifying attributes but the least of the 3 evils is the Dashes Direct set in my opinion. Currently engaged in battle on the passenger side and hope to declare victory by weekend's end if all goes well, much to ask I know.

I've made a template of the clip holes (because I had to, not because I wanted to) so I can re-punch the repro water shields and hoping that'll help me align the clips on the panels before install as well.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 06:37:07 AM »

Can you give me some idea of the cost? It seems to me that this vacuum forming process is what a new reproduction panel would need to use. The only questions are how close it comes to the original, how long it will last and of course the cost.

Many of the originals were already cracking when they were less then 10 years old anyway and had to have been made with a process like this to begin with?

The grain on my 67 would seem to very similar. My '68, not.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 10:23:54 AM »

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So,
Kind of as it stands, is the general consensus that this link above is a good company, that has satisfying results?
Do they cap the original like Gene does mentioned herein?

I always try and keep track of where I will need to send parts to #45 when I can get to the car.
Respectfully submitted,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7