News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Air condition and supercharged

Started by 67 GT350, March 28, 2019, 11:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

TLea

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 28, 2019, 03:37:29 PM
If Tim could do both on a big block, a GT350 should be a snap
Yup I can be done. I think I would contact Craig Conley and ask him if he's ever done it first of all  As far as being "prudent", maybe maybe not but it sure would be a lot of fun and a nice car to drive.  I have a Paxton powered 350 but I wish I had air conditioning in the car.

zray

Quote from: GT350DAVE on March 29, 2019, 12:22:18 PM
It might be easier to mount the AC compressor on the other side.

thats the way I've seen it done most of the time (yes, others have gone down that road).  I have one photo of the Paxton on the passenger side, but the carb enclosure is hacked to hell, imho.

Umm: 

Ugh:

Z

shelbydoug

Well don't tell anyone but there were some right hand air boxes made.

Personally I'd call Curt Voght and ask him about a '65 COBRA prototype air box with right side entry.

Years ago he made a duplicate of the factory prototype box out of billet aluminum. If you saw it, you'd go that route.

I think Ford went on the drivers side with the compressor because the right side was too close to the battery?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Quote from: Frankie on March 29, 2019, 02:35:22 PM
Just emailed them.

like nike says...just do it !    life is short, meant to be driven...
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

pbf777

Quote from: tinman on March 29, 2019, 08:30:59 AM
Could you use/modify a fox mustang bracket? They mount the blower on the right side.
Mike

This would probably be where I would start, knowing that modifications will be necessary if only for the pulley offset alignment, these being mostly stanchions, utilization or unavailability of other accessory bolt hole and bosses particularly of the water pump housing and removal of the lower section intended for the air-pump installation.      ???

Similarly, the Studebaker's with the R2 option engine (the other 289 cu. in. engine with Paxton supercharging) also were sans air conditioning, you had to choose,......... pressurized hot air for the engine, or cold air blowing in your face, but not both!      ;D

Scott.

shelbydoug

Quote from: pbf777 on April 01, 2019, 07:43:14 PM
Quote from: tinman on March 29, 2019, 08:30:59 AM
Could you use/modify a fox mustang bracket? They mount the blower on the right side.
Mike

This would probably be where I would start, knowing that modifications will be necessary if only for the pulley offset alignment, these being mostly stanchions, utilization or unavailability of other accessory bolt hole and bosses particularly of the water pump housing and removal of the lower section intended for the air-pump installation.      ???

Similarly, the Studebaker's with the R2 option engine (the other 289 cu. in. engine with Paxton supercharging) also were sans air conditioning, you had to choose,......... pressurized hot air for the engine, or cold air blowing in your face, but not both!      ;D

Scott.

If you have a Smithy 3 in 1, you can mill any bracket you want out of a chunk of billet aluminum.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

zray

I do t see any convincing argument put forth that makes me want to put the blower on the passenger side. If the whole point is wanting to use a vintage Paxton, cutting up the stock Paxton air box leaves the whole engine bay lookng like crap. Whaereas having the a/c on the passenger side is just going to take longer a/c lines. That's all.

Z

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

Quote from: zray on April 01, 2019, 08:46:35 PM
I do t see any convincing argument put forth that makes me want to put the blower on the passenger side. If the whole point is wanting to use a vintage Paxton, cutting up the stock Paxton air box leaves the whole engine bay lookng like crap. Whaereas having the a/c on the passenger side is just going to take longer a/c lines. That's all.

Z

Shorter a/c lines on the right side. It actually fits better there. You need to drill new holes in the radiator support though to run the lines through on that side. If you put the battery in the trunk, it's even a better fit.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

The issue, for some of us, is using the modern Sanden compressor versus the vintage style York one.  I like the vintage look.

427heaven

^^^^^ Agreed... Use old or new look, DONT MIX AND MATCH- :-[

pbf777

Quote from: zray on April 01, 2019, 08:46:35 PM
If the whole point is wanting to use a vintage Paxton, cutting up the stock Paxton air box leaves the whole engine bay lookng like crap.
Z

If not accomplished with some finesse agreed; but myself, realizing that this is a non original installation, and I never really liked the appearance of the carburetor enclosure anyway, I would utilize a "blow-thru" configuration with the "hat" or duct adapter just over the carburetor inlet.  And, for reference one can look-up the other 289 Paxton configuration of the Studebaker R2 as installed in the Avanti.    ;)

Scott