Author Topic: WHAT? WOW  (Read 5305 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: WHAT? WOW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 06:11:28 PM »
It was one of the few GT500's with a k code Ford vin. Seen that before. Maybe that scared him thinking it was a SB rebody .

My 3074 is one of them. When I got the Marti report back, I got this note, Doug, I don't know how to tell you this, but there is something wrong with your car.

Now this is from Marti.

In discussing this with the 67 Registrar, the original quote from the Registry was, "there are several GT500's in and around this car (meaning mine) that are originally stamped with a K engine code".

That was the Registry comment.

In discussing this verbally it went like this, "Doug...IT'S A FACTORY MISTAKE".

So as far as I know, that's where it stands and because the Ford numbers are kept confidential (and should be) there is little discussed publicly about it. As a result it's not surprising at all that a new buyer would be very suspect and as Kopec might put it "buyers were staying away in droves?"

Now I suppose that anything I say that is not in 100% agreement with the powers that be are interpreted as "I'm an enemy of the people" so to speak? That seems to be a popular position to take these days? In my case, and yes admittedly this is a selfish statement on my part, I'd be better served (as well as the entire group of unfortunates) with more public knowledge of this group of cars? How that would come about, I don't know but I'm not the one in that position.  ;)

Even so, a 70k something sale is ridiculous and the only thing I can think of is that the old term of "fire sale" must be applicable here? I wouldn't go as far as saying the seller was stupid, more likely some sort of gun against their head, but stupidity is actually one of the possibilities here.

I'm not sure how any of the auction houses would approach this situation but the fact that this car appears to have been sold on Ebay may in fact be an answer to that question?

I wouldn't at all be surprised if someone(s) in that sale, like the seller, to this day STILL has never heard of SAAC or the Registry or even if they have given any credence to the legitimacy of anything? I've run across those people too in the past. Still do unfortunately. :(

"What the Eff is a SAAC?"

Certainly many still don't use the term Concourse correctly or accurately in the sale or advertising of a car? Heck, I still can't spell it right?  Isn't that some kind of a beer? I think I saw that in a tv commercial?  ;D

We have a dozen or more GT 500 cars with K codes. The consecutive number however is correct. Mixed in with these cars are a group of GT 350 cars that were stamped with A codes. Their consecutive numbers are also correct. Someone at Ford stamped these cars incorrectly but they are the real deal.

Dave

The way Kevin Marti reacted to this, it was like he never heard about it. The Ford records don't match the cars. Frankly, it makes me question his accuracy? :(

I wonder if this would have shown up earlier if the Warranty tags were still on the doors?

We’re all human - mistakes happen

Marti extracts his info from the Ford Data as built by San Jose. Perhaps your car, one of only a dozen or so, was the first time he saw the Ford VIN stamp error. How long ago did you get that Marti report?

We have to remember, the information in the Marti Reports are before Shelby American completion.  Some details will be missing from the Marti depending on the model package. Changes did take place at Shelby American; such as added radios and upgraded wheels. Those changes would not be reported back to Ford and therefore can’t be trusted as accurate in a Marti 100% of the time. Where do you think Marti gets all the Shelby build info included…SAAC!

That said there is info in a Marti Report you can’t get from Shelby American paperwork (production order, invoice, etc); such as the correct DSO group number, the full interior trim code (5A, 6A, or 5U), and the Ford build dates (when Ford received the order, when they built it, and when it was released).

The same can be said for the importance of getting the Shelby American paperwork from the registrars. They show us info on how the car was received from Ford and what changes SA made; again such as the wheels and if a radio was added or not at LAX. SA papers also show the various dates cars were ordered by the dealer, completed by SA, and shipped out (LAX in 1967), none of which are on a Marti Report.

Both are important and both can have human errors, although rare. Since a Ford VIN mis-stamping was a rare occurrence I can understand it not being a known detail by Kevin at some point in time.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 06:14:12 PM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 06:35:26 PM »
My Marti report is from about two years ago.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 08:41:26 PM »
Only two years ago is a bit surprising. It sounds like Dave knew about them for a while, maybe Kevin just forgot.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 09:11:47 PM »
Only two years ago is a bit surprising. It sounds like Dave knew about them for a while, maybe Kevin just forgot.
Like Decades.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 09:46:56 PM »
Like Decades.

Honestly I thought it was common knowledge by now.

Jon

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 12:13:25 AM »
^^^ was on the SAAC V1 website
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »
I find it odd that He/She would say "NO TIME WASTERS VIA EMAIL " but then only write just 2 short Lines about the Car.  If He/She has no time for Emails, they should have written a lot more about the Car.

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 08:32:02 AM »
Do those pics in the ebay ad look like California pics?
Edit...looks like the eBay seller used same pics from the BAT ad.
I'm leaning towards the eBay auction wasn't legit.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:24:43 AM by stangman39 »

Hockeylife

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »
Tending to agree with the bogus notion. As I’m looking I did send an email with a phone number to contact. Heard nothing back, so stayed away.

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 06:39:31 PM »
I'm going with bogus.... otherwise I'll have trouble sleeping .....
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN