Author Topic: Rear quarter Window Interior Trim  (Read 19283 times)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Rear quarter Window Interior Trim
« on: March 31, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »
I k ow it’s been asked but anyone make or have a set of the black interior trunk pieces for a 1966 GT350
One of mine is cracked and all of the repopieces I have seen don’t fit well and are the incorrect grain/texture
See picture the bottom one is original
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

commok

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear quarter Window Interior Trim
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »
Steve, where you able to find an acceptable source? My trim pieces are original, and warped, or more precisely, wavy...

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »
Also looking for a correct full set.  Do we know if accurate reproductions are being made?

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:42:13 AM »
I haven’t found a correct repo set yet, have about 4-5 warped and broken originals but haven’t done anything with them yet
I did hear of a guy in Calif was making sets but lost the contact info when my old computer crashed and burned taking all that info with it
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 10:45:59 AM »
Steve, this might be the info you're looking for:
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=524.msg3016#msg3016
Greg Z
6S2249

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »
Coumt me in for a complete set as 296 did not take 115outside a trailer it was in very well.
Tom Kubler
6S296

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 12:06:35 PM »
Steve, this might be the info you're looking for:
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=524.msg3016#msg3016

That’s it !

Steve,

Just checking seems like a lot of us are looking for the same thing.  Do you plan on reaching out to him for availability and pricing of the trim pieces?  If so, maybe a collective large order may work out for everyone looking for a set.  I'm also curious as to the finish product in a Judged Class DIV II.  Randy's reply to the other thread identified them as Fiberglass and not the original injected molded plastic.  Could you post the results here after your conversation?

Respectfully,

Shawn

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »
Hey everyone,  I am currently in the process of having these pieces made.  I am in the plastics business and I have some contacts for this kind of stuff.  I am having them made in the exact same way they were originally.  Also they are being made out of the same material as original.  This is very important so you can manipulate them when being installed.  I should have something in about three months.
Chad

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 04:50:42 PM »
I was fortunate enough to purchase a complete set of new old stock, from Shelby, complete quarter window kit for 6S281. Incredibly, they are still in the box and wrapped in 1966 Los Angeles times newspaper. The NOS trim should allow for an exact copy. I have been in contact with a local plastic company who is ready to assist with recommendations on material and a manufacturer as soon as COVID allows us to open up a little bit. He seems to think it will be possible to re-create exact copies, plastic, texture etc.
I’m curious, what say the forum members concerning a reasonable retail price and any idea on how many sets could be sold for really nice accurate reproductions?
Thanks
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 06:33:34 PM »
I was fortunate enough to purchase a complete set of new old stock, from Shelby, complete quarter window kit for 6S281. Incredibly, they are still in the box and wrapped in 1966 Los Angeles times newspaper. The NOS trim should allow for an exact copy. I have been in contact with a local plastic company who is ready to assist with recommendations on material and a manufacturer as soon as COVID allows us to open up a little bit. He seems to think it will be possible to re-create exact copies, plastic, texture etc.
I’m curious, what say the forum members concerning a reasonable retail price and any idea on how many sets could be sold for really nice accurate reproductions?
Thanks
I’d be willing to buy a set if they look like original and more importantly that they actually fit. I spent hours and hours attempting to get a “repo” set to fit and they don’t fit very well
Branda get $129 for a set of interior panels id go as high $200 for just the interior panels (4 pieces)

shlby66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 08:19:27 PM »
Branda get $129 for a set of interior panels.

And, none of Brandas, has ever fit.

Just a reminder for fit: sometimes, the SA workers, cut out too much material from the interior sail panels,
       leaving an opening too large, for the 1/4 window panels to fit properly...even from the factory.

Doug C.   

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 08:40:32 PM »
Suggestion: While I adhere to the military axiom "Dual channel for reliability", if Karguy and Chad will converse in order to obtain the most correct and economical build, it will benefit us all and allow the most viable source to proceed.
5S071, 6S1467

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
Suggestion: While I adhere to the military axiom "Dual channel for reliability", if Karguy and Chad will converse in order to obtain the most correct and economical build, it will benefit us all and allow the most viable source to proceed.

Very good point. 

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 07:26:42 PM »
Another suggestion:  I know from experience that tooling up for items like this is expensive.  I'd be willing (and perhaps others here) to contribute to the effort in advance in return for a set from the first production run.
5S071, 6S1467