Author Topic: Rear quarter Window Interior Trim  (Read 19296 times)

Chad

• View Profile
Re: Rear quarter Window Interior Trim
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2021, 08:02:03 PM »
You cannot use these molds to make fiberglass parts.  Also you can not make fiberglass parts fit.  They have to be made out of plastic so you can manipulate them to fit.  The price is probably going to be around $500 per set. 

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2021, 12:14:09 AM »
You cannot use these molds to make fiberglass parts.  Also you can not make fiberglass parts fit.  They have to be made out of plastic so you can manipulate them to fit.  The price is probably going to be around $500 per set.
It could be my old age but I just dont understand, is anything being done to strengthen them/reinforce  them so they dont warp just like all our originals did and are?. Just like if an original 65 plastic gauge pod was replicated with the same material, it would just warp again. So excited and 8nterested in this project, I just want to better understand what I will be getting and if it's worth the time and effort for replacement. Thanks again for your efforts.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2021, 10:12:22 AM »
It could be my old age but I just dont understand, is anything being done to strengthen them/reinforce  them so they dont warp just like all our originals did and are?. Just like if an original 65 plastic gauge pod was replicated with the same material, it would just warp again. So excited and 8nterested in this project, I just want to better understand what I will be getting and if it's worth the time and effort for replacement. Thanks again for your efforts.
It was not a forgone conclusion that every trim piece or dash pod would warp . Many did but some didn't. To each their own but I think a exact looking quarter window trim would be a God send regardless of if made out of original materials that had a tendency to warp over time or the modern equivalent material that might not as much. At least compared to the ill fitting and different texture looking fiberglass trim alternatives IMO. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2021, 10:33:43 AM »
+1, would rather have original type then fiberglass
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2021, 11:14:52 AM »
Guys one thing you have to remember is they parts warped because the cars sat out in the sun as daily drivers for years.  They amount of time your cars sit in the sun now is an absolute fraction of time!

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »
I would also be willing to bet that even if the same type of material is used,  the chemical makeup is different and will behave differently.

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2021, 01:57:53 PM »
I agree 100%, anything that is better than what's currently available is always a winner! Bob made a good point, old plastic versus possibly better modern equivalent plastic. Did not mean to come across as a negative nancy they were just questions of concern. Thank you again

s_eagle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2021, 07:47:00 PM »
Chad

Hate to bother you but these trim pieces are basically the last thing I need to finish a restoration!  Any updates?  Thanks much

Rob

poboy427

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »
I need a set too to finish my car. The only area of the car I'm still not happy with.

Where to cut templates for the new interior receiving panels would be nice in a kit.

Ray

6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

shlby66

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2021, 08:31:20 PM »

For those of you, who haven't had the pleasure, of installing the 1/4 window trim pieces, please be Aware....

Pay close attention, to the interior sail panels, where the chrome trim, has been cut out for the 1/4 window install.

Sometimes, the SA workers were not too careful and removed too much material and the opening is too large, to
  allow, the trim pieces, to fit properly. I noticed that the trim pieces ( originals ) in my Shelby never matched at the ends.
  They were spread apart.

When I went to install replacement trim panels, I found when I had them snugly in the rear, I had about 3/16" gap at 
  the front and when I moved them forward, I had the same size gap at the rear. Trying to equally place them in the
  opening, didn't work, as they just didn't look right.

So my solution, was to procure a real nice set of used interior sail panels and take the time to mark the cut out area
  accurately and was very careful, in cutting out the trim pieces. This paid off, as the replacement 1/4 trim pieces, fit
  perfectly.

I'm sure, my Shelby, isn't the only one that came from SA, with this condition, concerning the 1/4 windows.  Just be
  aware, it's a possibility and take a close look at what you have.  Good Luck

Doug Cresanta

s_eagle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2021, 10:39:15 AM »
Chad

How is your project going?  Looking forward to seeing how and turns out and hopefully getting a set.  Thanks

Rob

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2021, 03:26:39 PM »
+1
SFM 6S406

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2021, 10:55:03 PM »
Good question. We think we have a company that will do the molding but we have to make a few tweaks  to the mold and the vacuum system.  Hopefully I will have some samples in a month or two.  I know I have said that before but I am going on what my friend tells me.  He is working hard on this.

poboy427

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2021, 12:33:40 PM »
+1 

The last pieces I need to complete my car.  Mine car will come home without any and will sit this winter til the issue is resolved.

I did not realize Chad was this far in fixing this issue when I mentioned 3D printing as a solution in another thread.

Ray
6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2021, 01:45:36 PM »
Ray I am in the same boat as you.  My Hertz car has undergone a complete resto and all I need to complete it is the trim pieces.  I am supposed to have new samples this month but I am not holding my breath.  You can not push anyone in the plastics business these days.  They have more work than they can handle and a small project like this is of no interest to those companies.